Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Page Error!

Hello all,

I have made an ePub ebook Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore, and have uploaded it to MobileRead Forum. The book opens without problem on my Cybook Gen3, and with the ADE and Sony Reader desktop readers.

But when I look at it on the main screen of my Sony 650 the cover page does not show, I just see a grey rectangle, and when I try to open it I get a triangle containing an exclamation mark with Page Error! below the triangle. I can't do anything else with the book except go back to the main screen/home.

All the ebooks I prepare validate with the W3C validation service and with ePubCheck, including this one.

It's quite a large book, but the illustrated version of The Woman in White which I have uploaded is much larger and opens without problem, so it can't be the size.

I have deleted the book and uploaded a new copy to the reader, but that makes no difference. Can anyone suggest what is going wrong, or how to find out what is going wrong? And of course how do I fix it?

Could someone please download the file to see if the problem occurs on your reader?

Regards, Alex

Last edited by AlexBell; 10-02-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: clarification
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
perilous
perilous has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi Alex,

I believe the problem lies with Ch61to75.html. When I open the epub file with 7zip it shows that this file has an unpacked size of 301338 bytes and a packed size of 116138 bytes. I'm no expert, but I believe the Sony reader has a limitation of 300k uncompressed and 100k compressed. Maybe and ADE or epub standard limitation?

When I split Ch61to75.html at chapter 71 the book works correctly on my Sony PRS-650. Doing this gave me file sizes of:
Ch61to70.html: 211853 bytes uncompressed, 80932 bytes compressed
Ch71to75.html: 86001 bytes uncompressed, 33635 bytes compressed

Hope this helps
perilous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks so much, Perilous, that's a great help and something to check. I have looked recently, but thought I had been careful not to go over the limits. I will look at it again and redo the book.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote