Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Remote control Page turn on Kobo?

Is there any possibility of development of a similar workaround for Kobos, like KindleLazy, a remote control page turn system? To be precise, a KoboLazy?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=1
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...65#post3400265

USB/OTG support has two major issues, one it needs a kernel change, two it probably needs a power source as well. The Kindle does this out of the box for its sound card adapter, Kobo does not seem to have anything like it.

It can be done in other ways, using charger cable, something I demonstrated in the first post of the thread above, or using wifi at the cost of wifi being a power hog; hardware modifications would probably work too, there is a serial port.

I'm not too keen on creating mods that mess with the kernel... one mistake and the device will be bricked (recovery system uses the same kernel as the main one), and there are strange issues/warnings when trying to compile the kernel version provided by Kobo in their kobolabs github repository, but that may be me doing something wrong.

But wait, there's still hope! You can buy this remote control at Amazon, it does not require software modifications: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PKZ1I/
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
But wait, there's still hope! You can buy this remote control at Amazon, it does not require software modifications: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PKZ1I/

The set of 3 is a great deal!
You can turn pages and scratch your back at the same time...

WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:07 AM   #4
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Bright idea, indeed!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
MistressDodo
MistressDodo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi all,

I've been looking for some way to remotely change the pages on a Kobo ebook reader for my mum.

She is very ill (in ICU in hospital) and has lost a LOT of mobility in her body. She can turn her head a little, no movement in her arms, a little movement in her fingers. Mentally she is fully there, and you can imagine how frustrating it must be to just lie there... stuck in your own body until it starts cooperating with you again.

We can rig up some stand to hold the Kobo, just need to find a way for her to be able to turn the pages on her books.

I've read the comments in the threads but most of the technical jargon is a bit much atm. I can easily buy one of those presenter thingies, but how can I make it work with the KOBO?
MistressDodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressDodo View Post
I can easily buy one of those presenter thingies, but how can I make it work with the KOBO?
You can't... there is no ready to use mod for Kobo that uses a presenter (the way KindleLazy does for Kindle). Not that I'm aware of anyway.

I have some custom hacks to turn page via charger ([deleted vidme link]) and an even uglier one that does it wireless using a wemos button shield (you have to solder and program yourself). https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...86#post3456186

There are huge problems with both solutions (you need a charger that is recognized by Kobo as such so the Computer Connection screen won't pop up, and the wifi solution is erratic [by default Kobo auto-disables wifi while reading] and gobbles battery like crazy, basically it runs out of juice after an hour or two.

So I've neither made a polished mod out of it, and even if I did it would not help you directly, you'd have to come up with a charger that has a switch your mum can use.

Also my hack is really limited to just a one button action... you can forward but not backward or select different books (or go back into the book in case the reader reboots...).

If really interested in such half-baked solution, feel free to PM me...

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-25-2021 at 08:31 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:13 AM   #7
MistressDodo
MistressDodo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thank you - I don't think that would work for mum. It has to be simple - forward and back. not needing a lot of finesse until she gets more control. Besides, whilst I would be able to do the programming, at the moment we are spending a lot of time at the hospital (as much as they are allowing us - she is not out of the woods yet) which would be prohibative to doing it 'properly'.

I'll start looking for something for a different device.
MistressDodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 AM   #8
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
There are huge problems with both solutions (you need a charger that is recognized by Kobo as such so the Computer Connection screen won't pop up, and the wifi solution is erratic [by default Kobo auto-disables wifi while reading] and gobbles battery like crazy, basically it runs out of juice after an hour or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressDodo View Post
Thank you - I don't think that would work for mum. It has to be simple - forward and back. not needing a lot of finesse until she gets more control. Besides, whilst I would be able to do the programming, at the moment we are spending a lot of time at the hospital (as much as they are allowing us - she is not out of the woods yet) which would be prohibative to doing it 'properly'.
Are one of this remote power switch can work?

You connect the eReader to wall charger via remote power switch, and turn the page with the remote, it dependent if your mum can operate the remote.

See the video frostschutz post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=257511

Last edited by oren64; 02-27-2017 at 06:49 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote