Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
$75 in B&N giftcards. Is the nook still a good deal in spite of the kindle paperwite?

Hey guys, I just came across $75 worth of Barnes and Noble giftcards that my friend gave me for $50.(because I was going to either buy books or supplies from their anyways).

Now, I am thinking that I want an e reader, so I've been waiting for the new kindle to come out. Now though that I have the $75 I'm thinking if I should get a nook instead.

Will it still be worth it?
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have a Nook Simple Touch and a cheap Kindle. I love them both. I don't think you could go wrong with either, unless you have a strong preference for one store over the other.

Sometimes a book will be a little cheaper at Amazon, sometimes one will be a little cheaper at B&N, but usually they cost the same at both, particularly the well known ones. I think Amazon has the edge there, with more deals, but not so many that it's beyond the value of having $75 off an e-reader off the top due to gift cards.

Also, with nooks you can use an SD card so you can store a greater number of books, if you end up having a massive collection.

But I love my Kindle too and I can't speak badly about that. Either would be a good choice. I haven't seen the Paperwhite, but I'm quite happy with the old ones. You could go to a store and compare them to see if you prefer the screen enough to ignore the B&N cards and just get that.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the reply.

Also found out the nook is rootable, which is awesome. If I can figure out if some of the apps I'd want(manga apps) work, then it might seal the deal.

Also, if its rooted, that means I can use the kindle app........hmmm.

You are right, I need to go look in a store. Too bad there won't be any of the paperwhites in for a while...
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote