Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #181
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
This one gives me a "not available" error in the Sony bookstore. Anyone else have that problem?

Sorry! I didn't realize the "buy" button wasn't working. I went with the smashword version.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #182
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I think it's a site wide issue at Sony as I had the same message on another freebie book this morning
I guess that explains it. Typical...
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #183
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
If I ever found myself "agitated" in a man's arms, said man would be about to start hurting, and there will be bruises and possibly blood if those arms don't move very quickly...

Let's just say I have strong opinions about the importance of asking for permission before touching.
Read a Kindle freebie not that long ago..

(about a man & woman shipwrecked alone on a tropical island,
be darned if I can remember the title- any help here?... DATE WITH THE DEVIL!! )

ANYWAY...and I remember being very disturbed with a scene where the "hero" forces himself on the young heroine, and what starts in sexual assault ended in love-making ..TOTALLY not the kind of thing I'd want my young and impressionable, romance loving, kind, if not NAIVE, teen step-daughter to read. Seriosly. That was NOT ok!

NEVER romanticize rape, date rape, or sexual assault of any kind. EVER.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #184
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post

be darned if I can remember the title- any help here?... DATE WITH THE DEVIL!! )

ANYWAY...and I remember being very disturbed with a scene where the "hero" forces himself on the young heroine, and what starts in sexual assault ended in love-making ..TOTALLY not the kind of thing I'd want my young and impressionable, romance loving, kind, if not NAIVE, teen step-daughter to read. Seriosly. That was NOT ok!
You will want to stay away from Bodice ripper type books. There was a time in romance where this type of scene was quite popular.
Date with the Devil is an old LoveSwept and was written during a time when this was acceptable reading in romances. The 70s, 80s, and very early 90s you will want to screen if that sort of thing bothers you.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #185
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I'm one of those. To get amazon ebooks onto my Sony T1 I download them to Kindle for PC then move them from the "My Kindle Content" folder to Calibre which automatically removes the drm thanks to a plugin I added. Convert to epub with Calibre and transfer to my Sony.

I always check the other stores first to see if I can get an epub version.
Slightly

Yeah. I am a Linux user. Kindle for PC crashes abominably under wine, but how did you get the calibre plugin to work without a Kindle serial number? Is everyone that lucky?

Before Kindle for PC crashed I managed to get a couple of .azw files to show up on the "My Kindle Content" folder that wine provided and transferred them to my calibre, but nothing happened. I tried every trick in the book I could think of and ended up empty.

Now, I simply transfer my files to calibre without using Wine, and my edited plugin nails every file except the one pesky topaz freebie I had.

Well, for me it was worth the money to buy the cheapest kindle. I kind of like it, even though the only purpose I bought it for was to "get my books" - and it led me to root my T1 which now has Coolreader on it, and I am loving that! So essentially I have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 08-15-2012 at 09:19 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #186
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post

NEVER romanticize rape, date rape, or sexual assault of any kind. EVER.
This also happened in one we talked about last week.. Texas Lily
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #187
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I totally agree. Scenes of non-consensual sex (romanticized as if it were sexy) find their way to the delete button pretty quickly.

I am even squicky at in-context forced sex scenes that aren't romanticized, but scenes which start out as forced and then she 'melts in his arms' ... no way.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 08-15-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #188
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceschick View Post
This also happened in one we talked about last week.. Texas Lily
Hmm... I don't remember a scene as it's described by that reviewer. Either it was not a very memorable one, or I've blocked out the whole book from my mind.

I have been reading way too much lately. Things start to blur together.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #189
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I bought a couple of Loveswepts yesterday I may give one of them a try. One was a HaBO and sounds awesome the other I forget how I came across it. it's about a Male Dancer and a Librarian.

The Stripper and Librarian one is Lightning that Lingers It's $2.99 and it's an agency book.
Lightning That Lingers is one of the best categories I've ever read. Even though it's now 25+ years old, I reread it when Loveswept reissued it and it blew me away again. If there is any romance author that I wish was still publishing it would be Sharon/Tom Curtis. I keep hoping they will get smart and digitally re-release their backlist. There are a large number of us just hoping to get a shot at The Windflower or Sunshine and Shadow.

I read that HaBo and was thinking about picking up I Do also.
worktolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #190
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The HaBO one is called I do by Mallory Rush. It's on sale for 99 cents. It's about a wounded Solider who marries his pen pal.
I nabbed that one. It looks right up my alley.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #191
Deljah
Connoisseur
Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android tablet
Hi @everyone! About kindles and freebies - just wanted to add my .02. I don't have a kindle, but I now have about 4,800 ebooks with almost all of them coming from Amazon and over 95% being free. I run across some duds but I'm generally very pleased with the quality of the free reads I've found.

I use kindle for pc as others have mentioned and then add the books to calibre. Kindle for pc is getting slower as my library grows, but it still works. I know I could remove those books from my pc and probably improve its performance.

I find most of my books from ereaderiq, reader forum recommendations, poking around amazon and a few other sites. At this point, I'd only buy an actual kindle if it became more important to me to read outdoors (which is hard to do on my phone or tablet) or if I thought it would pay for itself by getting those kindle-device only freebies that amazon gives out.

Happy reading everyone!
Deljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #192
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceschick View Post
I thought it was stated when this group first started that it was going to be mostly Kindle freebies because so many books were free in KDP, and that non-Amazon exclusives were going to continue to be posted as their own thread?

We've evolved to chit-chat about more than that, but that was the primary focus as I recall it. I could be wrong, of course..
In fact, this post evolved from the Kindle freebie posts started by ATDrake when people complained about how there were so many romance freebies. The very first month it was a Romance Freebies for Kindle thread, but by the next month it was a Freebie and Bargain Romances thread independent of retailer or format.

As Blossom said, Kindle freebies are much easier to spot than any of the others, and many contributors (myself included) just don't have the time to check at all the other eStores, so that's why they're predominant.

However, ALL information about freebie and bargain romances at different retailers and, occasionally, an author's website, is welcome.

Perhaps we should the outline this thread's purpose at the beginning of each month?
Britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #193
spindlegirl
Wizard

I was a newcomer to this thread, and what piqued my interest in the July thread was the Carina and DANL bargains and the DANL subscription which appealed to me.

I didn't realize upon joining this thread a few weeks ago, that it was a monthy thread based on an original.
So yeah, can I cut and quote your post above to append to the first post, since I enthusiastically started August's not realizing what the original purpose was?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #194
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Shut Up and Kiss Me [Kindle Edition] Christie Craig (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Shut-Up-Kiss-M...s_154606011_89

"Quirky, Touching and Fun!" -- New York Times Bestselling Author Susan Andersen

Welcome to Precious, Texas, where fistfights serve as dinner theater and fire ants rain from the sky. The locals are very friendly, if a bit eccentric. No pictures please, or you may find yourself a guest of the county morgue.

Photojournalist Shala Winters already had her hands full bringing tourism to this backward, podunk town, but her job just got tougher. Pictures can say a thousand words, and one of Shala's is screaming bloody murder. Now she has to entrust a macho, infuriating lawman with her life -- but she'll never trust him with her heart.

Trusted or not, Sky Gomez isn't about to let a killer get his hands on Shala's Nikon -- or any of her more comely assets, for that matter. Her mouth might move faster than a Piney Woods roadrunner, but all he can think about is how good it must taste...and how she'll never escape true love.

Bonus Content:

At the end of the book, get a sneak peek at New York Times-bestselling author Christie Craig's newest contemporary romance, BLAME IT ON TEXAS, due out from Forever Books on August 28th!

Keep reading for a preview of her recent release, MURDER, MAYHEM & MAMA, available now in ebook and paperback on Amazon...

AND as an added bonus, you'll also get a look at the first few chapters of BORN AT MIDNIGHT, the first book in the New York Times-bestselling YA paranormal series, Shadow Falls, that Christie is writing as C. C. Hunter!! BORN AT MIDNIGHT, AWAKE AT DAWN, and TAKEN AT DUSK are currently available from St. Martin's Griffin wherever books are sold.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #195
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Free on Amazon US from Harlequin Superromance:

Married by Mistake - Abby Gaines

Do not adjust your set. That really was Casey Greene being jilted by her fiancé on live TV! And that really was Memphis's most eligible bachelor who stepped in to marry her instead.

Millionaire businessman Adam Carmichael wanted only to help Casey save face. He isn't prepared for the news that their "fake" wedding is legal and binding.

While they secretly wait for an annulment, media and family scrutiny forces them to put on their best loving-couple act. Except by now, neither one is quite sure who's acting....
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote