Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Microsoft reader problem

Okay, I installed and have been using Microsoft Reader for a few weeks now with no issue at all. I was buying from FW downloading and using a certain bit of kit to help me convert to lrf's. Everything worked great.
All of a sudden (for the past 4 days) whenever I download a DRM'd lit or try to open a DRM'd lit book, it opens then shuts down ..........it will open non DRM'd okay but all DRM'd books cause it to shut again.
It successfully downloads them, just won't display them.

I don't want to un-install and reinstall as I will have to go through the activation again and I'm not sure if this will use an activation up, as I said , it was all working fine.

I did do a search and found one person with the same issue, his seemed or resolve itself on its own.

I did check the activation severs and they seem to be down.......is it possible this is the cause and it may work again when the servers are up? I assume it checks these serves when you open DRM'd books?
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
According to Microsoft's site you don't use another activation if you reinstall on the same device. However I don't think server status is the issue; while your DRM-key is tied to your Passport account it's stored locally and I've been able to open DRM'd lit files even when my connection was down.

I just wish I could help more.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Do you know where the activation file is stored? That way I may be able to move it then un-install, re-install then move it back. Don't want to try while the servers down as I may not get it activated again and I have over $100 at FW in micropay so want to spend that first ......at least its downloading books at present , I just can't open them.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Server is back up. I just reactivated microsoft reader.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
babyd
Addict

Okay, after you told me the server was back on I tried it again and it now works perfectly !! So the server being down did seem to stop mine from opening DRM books ......now its back on its all good........very odd, but good news at least
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Thank God for this forum. I was having the EXACT same problem. Reactivated my MS Reader (even though it was already activated, and now all is well).

thank you all!
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
signed back in

Well I reactivated my MS reader using the passport account I set up previously and now it works fine. I wonder if one of the updates I did on my machine messed turned off the previous activation? Or perhaps you have to log in ever so often to keep it working?

A better error message from MS Reader would have been nice, but oh well.

Anyway I am pleased to say it works again!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote