Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
jeffdonnelly
jeffdonnelly began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue/Haoqing Meebook P78 Pro
calibre 3.0 and 3.1 "disk not found"

Getting "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into [drivespec]" error on start-up on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with Calibre v3.0 Portable.

[IMG]e:\jjd\crash.jpg[/IMG]

Portable installs fine and starts up no problem. When shutting Calibre v.3.0 Portable down (successfully) and subsequently restarting Calibre v.3.0 Portable, I get pop-up dialog error box:
"calibre.exe - No Disk", "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into [drivespec]"

with options to Cancel/Try Again/Continue, none of which work. I have to kill both the Process (calibre.exe *32) & calibre.exe Application from the Task Manager to let me get out.

I've tried tried installs multiple times, and always starts initially fine from the end of the installation process. After exiting the post-install start-up, always get the error.

I then reinstall v.2.85.1 Portable, and no issues occur, all works fine.

When v.3.1.1 Portable released I tried again; same results as the v.3.0 Portable ...exactly. 2nd start fails in exact same manner.

Went back to v.2.85.1 Portable, and works fine.

Running this from Glyph Atom portable drive (275GB SSD, USB-C 3.1, Gen 2)....runs Calibre Portable great, normally.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

JEff
jeffdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's probably same issue as reported here ==>> calibre.exe - no disk

BTW I can't see the image at e:\jjd\crash .exe. To post an image you must upload somewhere, the best place is here - in advanced mode click the paper clip icon.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
jeffdonnelly

Well...as nice as it is to claim it's Window's fault, unfortunately, no changes made other than installing Calibre Portable 3.0, and subsequently Calibre Portable 3.1.1...and BOTH the v3 Portable versions have exact same issue.

When I revert to v.2.85 Portable on same computer (same external Glyph Atom SDD) ...all works fine. I don't know...what would you conclude?
Old 06-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jeffdonnelly - I didn't claim its Windows fault, if its anyone's fault its possibly yours.

At some time in the past I suggest you had a calibre library located on a device that no longer exists; the device shown in the Windows error message.

With version 2.85.1, you need check what libraries are configured by clicking the library icon. If you read the last post in the link I gave you will see the OP had a library configured on a non-existent device from the long ago past - removal of that library (via the Calibre Remove library option) fixed the problem.

Possible Explanation: The old calibre server feature could only access one library, the new one can access multiple libraries, by default these libraries will be those configured in the Library Manager.

So, I'm guessing that calibre 3.x checks to make sure all the configured libraries actually exist at start up, by getting Windows to open the library folder - if a path to a library is on a non existent device then Windows throws a device not found message.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-29-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
jeffdonnelly

...yet more, lol

Sorry Better Red-

I was responding to Kovid's comment, so def. a clean miss on my part - my bad. Sorry you felt it was directed at you!

I will check out your kind suggestion and see how that works out. You gave me a way to go that he never even mentioned and I never heard of before now.

Thanks.

Have a good weekend!

Jeff
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdonnelly View Post
Sorry Better Red-

I was responding to Kovid's comment, so def. a clean miss on my part - my bad. Sorry you felt it was directed at you!

I will check out your kind suggestion and see how that works out. You gave me a way to go that he never even mentioned and I never heard of before now.
@jeffdonnelly - KG is under a lot of self-induced pressure, so you should cut him a bit of slack.

Anyway, he has tried to fix it in 3.2 ==>> see Bug #1701399. Note it's more of an edge case than I thought. Also see 3.2. Release notes ==>>

Quote:
Windows: Try to prevent windows from showing the annoying 'no disk in drive' error messages at calibre startup if one of the calibre libraries is on a removable disk that is missing from the system
Perhaps you could confirm if his fix solves your issue.

BR
Old 07-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
jeffdonnelly

BetterRed- No, please don't misunderstand - and you are correct - Kovid has done some amazing work on this package and deserve TONS of kudos...it is truly an amazing piece of work.

What you are hearing is my frustration, because this issue has popped up before with previous versions of both portable and desktop Windows installs.....early on in the v.2.0 releases... Back then, Kovid said the same thing w/ regard to Windows being the culprit - and I'm sure he's correct - but then proceeded to address and fix the issue. So it was fixable. Clearly. Period.

Don't get me wrong on this...lol...I think that probably most work done for Windows Apps are probably mostly addressing and fixing Windows issues.... Sooooo.... it was extremely frustrating to see this one pop up it's head again....on a version (v.2.85) that clearly did not display the issue for numerous releases prior to v.3. So I installed the update to v.3 and it's back. So it's most likely an issue w/ v.3.... even IF Windows is ultimately at fault...that issue had already been addressed and fixed somewhere in the Calibre v.2.x....

That said, in any case...it works now - again - with v.3.2.1.

So kudos to Kovid once more for re-addressing the issue!!

..and thanks to you as well for the possible fix!
JEff