Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
pnpires
pnpires began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One Frontlight and more newbie stuff

Hi!

I'm new in the e-book scene. And I'm loving it. The Aura One handles PDFs pretty badly so I'm trying koreader. Man, this is a new world of customization and possibilities. I struggle to have time to read instead of trying to discover and use everything on Koreader. Great work guys!

I miss 2 things from nickel. The autolight, of course, I read your trying to figure it out. But my problem is the Frontlight Gesture Controller not working. Should it work? Can't find an easy way to control the light

Can I use pocket with Koreader? Or do I need to use other? I can't find my pocket pages and I need this featur.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work
pnpires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Get koreader, last build, and put it in /.adds (already done ?)
following the instructions on KSM09 thread to install, look at the ksm08 thread too there is some useful infos there ( and https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-387370964 there too )
After that : the frontlight gesture controller has to be enabled within koreader (menu plugins, then more plugins, then frontlight gesture controller, enable and reboot). It's working on my KA1 so it has to work on yours :-)

Pocket can't be use with koreader _yet_.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
pnpires

I got it. It only works when you're actually reading a book, not in the menus...
Thanks!

Last edited by pnpires; 05-12-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
Get koreader, last build, and put it in /.adds (already done ?)
following the instructions on KSM09 thread to install, look at the ksm08 thread too there is some useful infos there ( and https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-387370964 there too )
After that : the frontlight gesture controller has to be enabled within koreader (menu plugins, then more plugins, then frontlight gesture controller, enable and reboot). It's working on my KA1 so it has to work on yours :-)

Pocket can't be use with koreader _yet_.
This raises a question for me. Now that I've been using Koreader for a time, how do I go about upgrading to a new, more recent build? Is there a quick guide showing the needed steps? Thanks.

Paul
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There are two ways 1. Using the KOReader OTA function (with the OTA channel set to Development, for the latest nightly) or 2. downloading from one of the servers, and "sideloading". I don't have a Kindle but I would expect that replacing your existing koreader folder with the new one would accomplish the upgrade.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Same deal on Kindle .

If you're extra-lazy, you can also drop the zip file at the root of the device and use the 'Update' button in KUAL's KOReader extension.

(It used to also handle OTA tarballs, but I, err, forgot to fix it. ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnpires View Post
I got it. It only works when you're actually reading a book, not in the menus...
Thanks!
Yup. Not a bug, but not a feature. I wonder if it's intended or not.

Last edited by cramoisi; 05-17-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
cramoisi
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilster View Post
This raises a question for me. Now that I've been using Koreader for a time, how do I go about upgrading to a new, more recent build? Is there a quick guide showing the needed steps? Thanks.

Paul
If you go with the OTA process as suggested by ken (it's the better way if you don't have custom files in your koreader install-tree), you will want to keep your defaults ; don't forget to do set them persistent !

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...hange-defaults

"Note that configuration changes to the koreader/defaults.lua file will be overridden by nightly releases / OTA updates automatically without notification. To make configuration changes persist between updates,you need to move your changes into koreader/defaults.persistent.lua."
Old 05-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
Yup. Not a bug, but not a feature. I wonder if it's intended or not.
If you're in the menu then isn't the menu taking up the touching area?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
and there is a menu item to provide a message box with a slider to make that adjustment.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #11
cramoisi
Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Yup I think so (never considered that as an issue)
Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
pnpires

Thanks for your answers.

My main issue was not having USB connection, but I read a bit about it and I know it's (probably) coming. So that one is solved. Still

Is there a way to EXIT Nickel to KSM? Besides rebooting?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnpires View Post
Thanks for your answers.

My main issue was not having USB connection, but I read a bit about it and I know it's (probably) coming. So that one is solved. Still

Is there a way to EXIT Nickel to KSM? Besides rebooting?
If you have KSM, you have at least two kinds of USB connection.

The KSM install provides a "kbmenupngs" folder with an "exit_nickel.png", if KSM was installed following the directions, selecting that file in nickel should exit to KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
pnpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

The KSM install provides a "kbmenupngs" folder with an "exit_nickel.png", if KSM was installed following the directions, selecting that file in nickel should exit to KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Oooohh! Now It made a spark. These icons with such dubious names as switchtokoreader, poweroff or exit_nickel

Great! Why didn't I RTFLetters?

It works great, although switchtokoreader puts me in KSM, like exit_nickel.... What didn't I read, now?
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The "switch to KOReader" only works if you have started Nickel from KSM using the "NickelKoreaderSwitch option. You need to enable it first in KSM's Configuration section.

Luck;
Ken