Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Honest users should care a great deal if the actions of a few selfish idiots cause everyone to lose free web browsing.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #17
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
So what can those honest users do when someone buys Kindle 3G and does use for all the browsing Kindle allows but doesn't buy any single book from the Kindle store?

From Amazon's view it is not much different from tethering. In fact from data usage point it could be even worse because it is easy to ban a SIM card that clearly has traffic that normally is not possible on Kindle but not so easy when it is a regular Kindle use.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
So what can those honest users do when someone buys Kindle 3G and does use for all the browsing Kindle allows but doesn't buy any single book from the Kindle store?

From Amazon's view it is not much different from tethering. In fact from data usage point it could be even worse because it is easy to ban a SIM card that clearly has traffic that normally is not possible on Kindle but not so easy when it is a regular Kindle use.
That's why the Kindle browser is slow, doesn't allow multiple tabs, or Flash. It's hard to use for a reason. I'm sure some people can get used to this, but there's people like me who are used to using the computer of even a smartphone to browse the internet. If people start tethering, they'll start loading Flash videos, use the internet more often, etc. Sure if one person tethers or uses the internet legitimately all the time, Amazon won't notice. But not many people uses their Kindle "for all the browsing", either by tethering or just on the Kindle. If scores of people do this, Amazon definitely can tell the difference. The Kindle is not advertised or designed to be an internet tablet. That's a bonus that many people find useful. If people abuse the privilege, Amazon doesn't have to think twice before removing the feature. I'll take the example of the PS3 again. Sony allowed the PS3 to install Linux, but when a hacker used the Linux to bypass the PS3 memory protection, Sony deleted the Linux feature from the next update.

Last edited by yifanlu; 03-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #19
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
What HarryT said. Don't do this.

As I doubt you'll listen, here are technical reasons why you shouldn't do this. You end up connected to the Amazon Whispernet network. You don't have unrestricted access to the internet and you obviously can't make or receive calls. Only web access is allowed and it has to go via Amazon web proxy servers. Some countries don't have unrestricted web access via 3G and are restricted to the Kindle store and Wikipedia. If Amazon notice you doing this which is very likely since your usage pattern won't be anything like a normal Kindle then they're going to ban you and your Kindle as this violates the Kindle terms of service.
Not really, moderators, please don't ban me for saying this, but the Kindle no longer connects to Whispernet Proxies when roaming. Try it yourself, buy the Kindle in your home country, take the SIM out, put it in your iPads or PS Vitas, it works, I assure you. Just set the [Mod: details deleted] and your good to go. I know someone who uses the 3G for over 6 months, and uses it to check emails in Singapore (I think, or another Asian country where internet is expensive) and it works fine!

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaHukka View Post
Not really, moderators, please don't ban me for saying this, but the Kindle no longer connects to Whispernet Proxies when roaming. Try it yourself, buy the Kindle in your home country, take the SIM out, put it in your iPads or PS Vitas, it works, I assure you. Just set the [Mod: details deleted] and your good to go. I know someone who uses the 3G for over 6 months, and uses it to check emails in Singapore (I think, or another Asian country where internet is expensive) and it works fine!
Your grammar is a bit unclear. The plural on "iPads" and "Vitas" could be interpreted as "sim belong to iPad" or "sim belonging to Vita" (and "it in" could be a typo for "in" or "into"). Or it could mean that you ARE using the kindle sim in another device.

If you are suggesting using amazon's bandwidth (which they purchase for real money from the cellphone carriers) in a non-kindle device, that is clearly theft of service, and we will not provide assistance for such activities.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
And I think that's probably enough discussion of using Amazon's sim in ways that might defraud Amazon.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread