Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Non-Kindle e-readers compared by David Rothman

David of the fantastic TeleRead blog sat down and compared various E Ink-based alternatives to the Kindle Reader. It really comes down to three choices: the iRex iLiad (its screen "dwarfs the six-inch E Ink displays of rivals"), the Bookeen Cybook (support for "popular formats", including Mobipocket-DRM), and the Sony Reader ("cheapest of the pack", "clear-cut winner" in looks).

To be fair, there are a few more devices available, but those are harder to get and usually localized for a specific geographic region. For a good overview, check out the matrix in our Wiki.

David's full review can be found in this Publishers Weekly article.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
It's nice to see an ebook comparison that includes the iLiad. It's often "forgotten about" by most reviewers looking at devices.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
It's nice to see an ebook comparison that includes the iLiad. It's often "forgotten about" by most reviewers looking at devices.
I noticed that, too - I wonder why that is. Is it really just a question of marketing muscle? Getting the word out and all that?

When the Kindle came out, people not remotely interested in e-books came up to me all of a sudden and said "did you see Amazon is selling your thingy?" (At which point I'd staple them to the wall and sit down to a lengthy breakdown of the differences between Iliad and Kindle...)

Or maybe it's just the price tag? Reviewers assuming that since the Iliad is the most expensive, average joes won't even look at it, so it's not worth reviewing?

All rather mystifying.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Alex, thanks for your kind words. Adam, I totally agree with your thoughts on the iLiad. The reason could be the price along with the fact that the software still has a way to go. I hope iRex will hang in there. Its open ways starkly contrast with those of Amazon, and the screen and the rest of the hardware are awesome. Let's hope that the Dymocks deal helps.

Happy holidays to all,
David

David Rothman | 703-370-6540
PW E-Book Reports: publishersweekly.com
TeleRead: teleread.org

TeleRead.org
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
Is it really that hard to get the hanlin v3? It seems like a good device from what I've read so far, I wish it were more popular. I think I'm going to buy one, but I have the luck of actually being in China.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
TomBolini
ebooks distributor
TomBolini doesn't litterTomBolini doesn't litter

Device: HP2710p iLiad Cybook Sony 505 Kindle DR1000S
Never ever try to buy a Hamlin machine! I got a (so called) V2 machine 1 year ago from them at some 500€: crap machine, and totally un-reliable company, in my experience.
TomBolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
SteveB
SteveB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBolini View Post
Never ever try to buy a Hamlin machine! I got a (so called) V2 machine 1 year ago from them at some 500€: crap machine, and totally un-reliable company, in my experience.
While I have no knowledge of what the V2 was like I can't agree at all with your "never" philosophy re Hanlin.

I've just bought a V3 and while there is still a ways to go with the s/w its hardware is very good (won't win any "prettiest" competition though).

Firmware updaes have been appearing every few weeks and the company seems very appreciative of feedback and suggestions.

I think it has the potential to be a very good "generic" reader if enough users give constructive feedback and suggestions. I suspect its major market is China plus I guess it may even supply hardware to other re-badgers.

Personally I'd say that from my point of view the iLiad looks the best option right now (ignoring price) but we are starting to get some serious contenders out there.

Sony and Kindle can generate the mass market publicity to get people interested, thats a good thing even though I would buy neither. Once book/paper reading people realise realise the potential of e-readers the generic suppliers will have a good market. (as was the case for mobile phones and MP3 players).

The V3 will do me for a while but I'd really like a good generic reader of 8" - 10" size (colour ideally) that covers most normal formats and has s/w which is intelligent enough to optionally "pretty up" unformatted or poorly formatted docs. The ability to make notes in a doc would also be useful.

Its not too far fetched any more, the snowball is gathering size and momentum down the mountain so hopefully it'll become an avalanche.

Steve
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
I am right with the GreatGonzo on this. Since Amazon stirred from its e-sleep it's nothing but Kindle, Kindle, Kindle everywhere...let's hope Irex has the guts to rise to the challenge and release Iliad software to beat the Kindle hands down.
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iRex should release a reader to compete with the 505 and Gen3 and Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
iRex should release a reader to compete with the 505 and Gen3 and Kindle.
I think Irex is more on the scientific way - it should target to 10" and advanced software features IMHO.

Greetings
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcha View Post
I am right with the GreatGonzo on this. Since Amazon stirred from its e-sleep it's nothing but Kindle, Kindle, Kindle everywhere...let's hope Irex has the guts to rise to the challenge and release Iliad software to beat the Kindle hands down.
I talked to an iRex guy and he said that his company is happy about the attention e-books have gained through the Kindle. I guess as long as we are talking about a niche market, publicity of any kind (even if it's all about the competitor) is good for all participants.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Post Hanlin V3

I have been using V8 for 4 years...happily.
Now I become the only agent in Malaysia & Singapore as there are many "users" worrying about buying though such a far country, China, and the payment, tax, courier service,....

We make very little profit by promoting in the Book Fair and on the net.
The response is very positive within a month with 20% sales.

We will make a positive move to push for more users so that in future the price will drop.

From my observation in the forum, different users opt for different specifications. Generally speaking, Hanlin V3 firmware and supports are strong, willing to improve and supports the most format and languages (esp. Europe with rebrand in Turkey and South Africa - it looks like they are pretty fast to accept Ebookreader, esp. Hanlin who is willing to share their products with other agent, unlike Irex, Kindle and Sony - where this will hinder market grows).

I love Hanlin's stability, willingness to CHANGE (like Obama).

Hong
Malaysia
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcha View Post
That's a purely American perspective, of course. The view of the market from here in Europe, where the Kindle isn't available, is very different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I talked to an iRex guy and he said that his company is happy about the attention e-books have gained through the Kindle. I guess as long as we are talking about a niche market, publicity of any kind (even if it's all about the competitor) is good for all participants.
Pretty much. iRex is targeting a niche market, and going for folks who want features the Kindle doesn't provide. The more people who are aware of ebooks and dedicated readers, the more potential customers iRex has.

If the Kindle does it for you, you won't buy an iLiad in any case.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
I noticed that, too - I wonder why that is. Is it really just a question of marketing muscle? Getting the word out and all that?

When the Kindle came out, people not remotely interested in e-books came up to me all of a sudden and said "did you see Amazon is selling your thingy?" (At which point I'd staple them to the wall and sit down to a lengthy breakdown of the differences between Iliad and Kindle...)

Or maybe it's just the price tag? Reviewers assuming that since the Iliad is the most expensive, average joes won't even look at it, so it's not worth reviewing?

All rather mystifying.
One of the most important italian IT websites, Punto Informatico, often writes about new gadgets hitting the market.
Kindle and Sony made the cover news twice each, and they are not sold in Italy.
Irex and Cybook never did. They are talked about just in comments and in a "there are also other devices" line (with a link to my comment) in the Kindle 2 rumors page.

I don't know why they are so anti-europeans, and I don't know why TomBolini does not contact them with an open letter...

If Apple will ever make an e-ink device, they'll write about iLiad V1 and Cybook as "two of the Apple Readers clones"....

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote