Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
It seems I "finally" bricked my EB600.

(Solved, see last post)

Well, I finally managed to ruin it, it seems.
I tried to use the Kobo firmware update on it.
Didn't go through well - probably because I didn't read the instructions completely - I didn't format the card for ext3...
(Note: I'm not complaining or blaming anyone aside from myself! I gambled, I lost. That's part of the game.)

I'm going to try it with a proper Kobo firmware update as soon as I get a linux running.

In the meantime, I tried to redo the Cool-Er firmware - no luck.

Anyway, does anyone have an idea what might help? Obviously, I'm willing to experiment.

(Should that device be gone forever, I'm probably going to order a Kobo. Still, I'd rather revive it. :-)

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 11-06-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Solved
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
hal9000
Enthusiast
hal9000 doesn't litterhal9000 doesn't litterhal9000 doesn't litter

Device: Airis Dbook (with booq Classic OS 2.2)
Have you tried with the booq Classic 2.2 firmware?
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did now - no luck.

I wonder if perhaps the failed "update" attempt has deleted the devices ability to read FAT formated discs.
Or perhaps my SD card is simply broken. The replacement I bought doesn't work either, though, but that may be because it's a SanDisk - apparently those don't work so well with that device.

I'll try to format the disk for ext3, perhaps that'll help.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Didn't even know that brand (or I forgot it?). From what I saw inside the archive, they use SKIN files too. I really need to get my eBook running again, so I can risks it again by fiddling with those files :-)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
hal9000
Enthusiast
hal9000 doesn't litterhal9000 doesn't litterhal9000 doesn't litter

Device: Airis Dbook (with booq Classic OS 2.2)
What point on the process you reach? The device starts flashing and then it fails? Or the flashing never starts? Some descriptive message on the screen?

With the booq OS 2.2 the way to enter the flasher (for subsequents updates) changed (you need to press other buttons) you can try with that new buttons or read the manual for th latest firmware you flashed and see if some of them changed the buttons combo too.
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

It stopped working after showing the black squares - before that, the led blinked as if I had pressed the buttons (no matter if I did or not).

Fortunately, it doesn't matter anymore. I finally got around to use a linux bootdisc and after some trial and error (looking through the web with Lynx is an interesting experience, btw), I managed to prepare an SD card for the Kobo update.

Which seemed to work. At least it was recognized and the Kobo update started.
The next restart still hung, though. It showed the Kobo logo, but wouldn't go beyond 2 black squares.

Since I had a second SD card, I prepared the Coolreaders Cool-Er update on it.

Guess what? It worked! The device is now officially unbricked and mutated beyond recognition.
Apparently the Kobo update replaced something deep inside the device, where no normal update should ever go...

I will have to update my device information text, because what I now own is a weird Netronix Elonex/Kobo/Coolreaders hybrid.

When connected to the PC, it registers as Elonex eBook. The startup screen says Kobo, and the firmware is Coolreaders.

Seriously, that alone was worth all that trouble.
I know I'm weird.
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
angetomani
angetomani began at the beginning.

Device: Airis Dbook
Hi Cyberman tM and everyone else...I think i bricked my Iris Dbook (same hardware different name as far as I Know)
Can you give me a more detailed explanation about the way you solved the problem?
I heard about Google but i don`t know what should i began to look for

Thanks in advance!!
angetomani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

I merely reinstalled the firmware - some (many? most?) firmware updates for the EB600 actually install the complete software, which is why it might work if you merely ruined the current system.

This post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=15 has a link to instructions and firmware.

Of course, it'll be Cool-Er firmware then. You might try to find the original firmware - if it exists in an installable form. But if you can get the Cool-Er firmware running, you can always change again later on.

Obligatory warning: this might work - or it might not. Consider the risk and decide for yourself if you want to try.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
angetomani
angetomani began at the beginning.

Device: Airis Dbook
Thumbs up

Thanks Cyberman tM for your answer. In the end I managed to solve it
The problem was in the SD Card. I tried some of them (1Gb Kingston) but for any reason the only one working was a 512Mb one
Thanks any way for your time.

Last edited by angetomani; 01-11-2011 at 07:18 AM.
angetomani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
nixgegendenise
nixgegendenise began at the beginning.

Device: Elonex621EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Fortunately, it doesn't matter anymore. I finally got around to use a linux bootdisc and after some trial and error (looking through the web with Lynx is an interesting experience, btw), I managed to prepare an SD card for the Kobo update.

Which seemed to work. At least it was recognized and the Kobo update started.
I followed the instruction https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111181 and created an ext3-sd card and unpacked the file kobo-sd-restore-1.8.tgz from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111475 to the sd card, put the card into my device and restarted it.
But still I only get the six boxes

Last edited by nixgegendenise; 07-10-2011 at 12:14 PM.
nixgegendenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
nixgegendenise

Good news

I tried another sd card with ext3 and kobo on it and could (successfully) flash kobo on my EB600. It seems, some sd cards are not fully ext3-compatible. Now I will take a look at Kobo software and if is not too buggy will use my EB600 as Kobo. No flashing anymore!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
nixgegendenise

Bad news
Kobo sucked, so I decided to get back to Cooler Reader and I followed this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=30
It worked I did something stupied and tried to flash a different combination and bricked the device again: The device starts, shows the kobo logo, 7 black boxed load.
I tried to install original kobo software with kobo-sd-restore-1.8.tgz , but none of my two sd cards, fomated to ext3, is recognized now. Is it possible that I could solve the problem by using a new sd card? Please help!

Last edited by nixgegendenise; 07-10-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
nixgegendenise

Ok, last time: good news
My ebook reader needed an FAT32 sd card this time. So I copied cooler reader on an FAT32 sd card and now I am happy