Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you buy one of the new Kobos?
I bought one of the new Kobos 92 43.40%
I bought both of the new Kobos 10 4.72%
I haven't bought yet, but I'm planning to 16 7.55%
I might buy, but I'm not sure yet 21 9.91%
I'm waiting for the price to drop 8 3.77%
There's something I don't like about them, so probably no 13 6.13%
I'm not interested in them 7 3.30%
My current readers are fine, so no 51 24.06%
I bought one, but returned it, because it was defective 1 0.47%
I bought one, but returned it, because I didn't like it 3 1.42%
I prefer another brand of ereaders 4 1.89%
I don't use eink 0 0%
The blue one next to the fish 6 2.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Over 20% heavier for a device many hold in one hand for hours at a time is a major difference...

...and something like weight is much higher on their priority list than having access to Kobo's proprietary audiobook functionality.
The Libra H2O weighed 192g
The Libra 2 weighs 215g

The Forma weighed 197g
The Sage weighs 240g... a much bigger difference. Clearly the extra weight of the Sage isn't because of the bluetooth added for audio books.

The weight difference is more likely due to the switch from the plastic backed screen to the glass one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #47
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All this talk about Sage's weight made me realize that with the Elipsa it's less of a problem because it's so big I have the bottom of it resting on my stomach. Heh. Nevertheless I'm still not using that cast iron tank of a cover the Elipsa comes with.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #48
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Forma weighed 197g
The Sage weighs 240g... a much bigger difference.
43 grams is a big deal? An ounce is about 30 grams so it's about 1.3 ounces heavier.

Last edited by hobnail; 11-09-2021 at 09:12 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
43 grams is a big deal?
Well, it is to some. I'm not judging, just discussing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Oddly enough, those who have said this mostly have never held a Sage in their hand. Most reviews say the weight isn't actually that bad, and as someone who owns the Sage I can confirm it's not bad.
And I would bet that a lot of them have never held a Forma either.
Quote:
Is it heavier than the Forma? Sure. Is it hard to hold single handed? No, it's actually comparable to a previous Kobo device, which people had no issue holding single handed.

The weight is also largely tied to the mobius substrate Zod mentioned.
I don't think that is enough to explain the difference. The Mobius substrate itself is not enough to explain how light the Forma is. Unless they reduced the support around the screen as they didn't need the device to be as stiff. But, I don't remember the Forma being flexible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #51
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As the new Kobos have generated lots of interest on MR, I'd like to make a poll about how many of our members have bought one or are planning to buy in the future.

It's just for fun, so please don't take it too seriously.

I voted "My current readers are fine, so no".

My previous readers were the Kobo Aura (2014) and Nook Simple Touch (2011, bought used in 2016, and it took more than a year before the batteries started failing). The first was not suitable (no buttons) and the second were too old. I got the Kobo Forma the day it came out in 2018. It has been three years, but it's not so old that I've noticed issues with the batteries.

Kobo "forgot" to force us to buy a new model every couple of years since their stuff tends to last. In addition, this isn't a smartphone so it's less likely to contain a bunch of passwords or other secure info, so there's less need to update. (Android will stop issuing security updates to old phones. I believe my smartphone is currently four years old, so I expect error messages soon.)

At this rate, I will probably buy the next Forma-equivalent, if the batteries start failing at around the year five or six mark.

After reading the newest reviews, the Sage doesn't give me much more than the Forma. It can only read expensive audiobooks (those cost way more than legit e-books), and I don't know if I really want a writing pad. The Libra 2 is basically a smaller Forma, but the screen is a bit smaller (worse for me, not worse for people with normal eyes).
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #52
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And I would bet that a lot of them have never held a Forma either.

I don't think that is enough to explain the difference. The Mobius substrate itself is not enough to explain how light the Forma is. Unless they reduced the support around the screen as they didn't need the device to be as stiff. But, I don't remember the Forma being flexible.
The Forma isn’t flexible per se, though it’s certainly exceptionally skinnier at the non button side than the Sage. I’d have to presume that extra size is owed to protecting the internals a bit, maybe the stylus layer as well.

But it’s rather unlikely that it’s due to the added antenna to allow Bluetooth as had been put forward in the post I’d replied to.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:38 PM   #53
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Probably the thicker Sage is to make the screen leveled when using the stylus in notetaking mode.

The Libra also became thicker with seemingly no reason as pictures of its insides indicate there are no components that require the thicker casing. In fact some say the back cover seems loose because of the xtra space.

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 11-10-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:23 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
The Forma isn’t flexible per se, though it’s certainly exceptionally skinnier at the non button side than the Sage. I’d have to presume that extra size is owed to protecting the internals a bit, maybe the stylus layer as well.
I think, as @Deobulakenyo suggests, the evenness of thickness of the Sage is about the notetaking. It could be to make it sit flat when taking notes on a table, or it could be to support all sides evenly when held and taking notes. I seem to remember that some people didn't like the noticeable wedge shape of the Forma. The angled side was a separate issue.
Quote:
But it’s rather unlikely that it’s due to the added antenna to allow Bluetooth as had been put forward in the post I’d replied to.
I didn't notice that. I think it would be shared with the WiFi. If it isn't, it would only be a few grams. But, that's probably what has happened, a few extra grams in a few places and it all adds up.

I'll give my theory: The magnets for holding it in the case. And even if they aren't heavy, they make the device feel heavy as they interact with the magnetic fields of the earth.

Hopefully GoodEreader will see this and quote it. Without attribution.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:15 AM   #55
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
In June I bought the Elipsa: I had been waiting ages for a decent reader for reading PDFs, and those epubs that do need the bigger real estate, and Elipsa was the answer. I was wowed with the Carta 1200 screen though I missed the 300 dpi. I didn't miss the natural light since I had been battling with Libra 1s because of their yellowish tint, and since Elipsa's screen wasn't too blue with low lighting. I was pleasantly surprised how I could read hours at home without my small very arthritic hands suffering.
Formerly I mostly read PDFs on the Forma, most of them unsatisfactorily - the landscape mode is not a good way to go, for most books. So after I bought the Elipsa, I gave my Forma to a friend who was thinking of buying one.
Then Kobo issued Libra 2 and Sage. I wanted the 8" and Carta 1200, hoped the screen wouldn't be yellowish and the weight would be acceptable, and bought the Sage. And it is almost perfect:
  • the weight doesn't prevent me carting it in an outside pocket of my medium sized handbag, or holding it for hours at home
  • the screen does have a small whiter band on the edge, but I completely forget it when not looking for it
  • the buttons occasionally do not respond, but the screen always does
  • the battery is poor, but since I also read on the Elipsa, and a few paper books (no e-version available), I never lack reading matter when the Sage is recharging
  • but the screen color is beautiful, whether with no natural light or with a few steps up natural light
  • the characters are the crisper I've ever seen, and make Elipsa's 227 dpi look fuzzy
  • and for me 8" is the perfect size for many epubs and some PDFs which look strange on 10".
So I retired the Libra 1.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:04 AM   #56
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I have had my Kobo Libra 2 for a few days. It is now my all time favorite reader. I don't know if I have been lucky. But the screen is fantastic, completely even lighting and almost as much contrast as the Kindle Voyage.

You must place them side beside to make out any differences in contrast.
And the Libra 2 has pageshift buttons, has a 7 inch screen and has Kobo software.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:24 AM   #57
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
Upgraded to a Libra 2 from the PW4. Screen is fantastic.
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:42 AM   #58
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Well, it is to some. I'm not judging, just discussing.
You have to be mindful when criticizing a new product release that buyers tend to vehemently defend their purchase. It makes it very tricky to sift through reviews of any new product. There's a ton of research supporting this.

Even though they're quick to dismiss opinions of those who don't own the device, it's well-established that ownership is an impediment to objectivity rather than an aid.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #59
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
You have to be mindful when criticizing a new product release that buyers tend to vehemently defend their purchase. It makes it very tricky to sift through reviews of any new product. There's a ton of research supporting this.

Even though they're quick to dismiss opinions of those who don't own the device, it's well-established that ownership is an impediment to objectivity rather than an aid.
That "it's well-established" sounds SO MUCH like the old commercials which said "clinical tests prove" or "scientists agree" - where's your data? Your vague "ton of research" clearly doesn't include MR, where many buyers often do the exact opposite of "vehemently defend" their new purchase.

Ownership CAN BE an impediment to objectivity, but it's also extremely difficult to be objective about a product one knows nothing about, as is often the case with people dissing items they don't own.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #60
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
That "it's well-established" sounds SO MUCH like the old commercials which said "clinical tests prove" or "scientists agree" - where's your data? Your vague "ton of research" clearly doesn't include MR, where many buyers often do the exact opposite of "vehemently defend" their new purchase.

Ownership CAN BE an impediment to objectivity, but it's also extremely difficult to be objective about a product one knows nothing about, as is often the case with people dissing items they don't own.
Since you're the one disputing the established research, the responsibility is on YOU to offer evidence contradicting the data, for the same reason the burden of proof is on those don't believe in the efficacy of vaccines (for example) to prove their case.

Again, you're claiming ownership is an asset to objectivity and that's the argument you must prove despite all evidence to the contrary.

The people best positioned to offer opinions are those who are able to review a new product with no vested interest. It's why people are willing to pay money to review services like Consumer Reports, etc.. for new cars, for example, rather than someone who may be paid surreptitiously by a car company for their review.

People react with a lot of emotion when you claim they may not be perfectly objective in all circumstances!
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote