Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #16
franc
Connoisseur
franc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
... The PRS-350 is pretty common on eBay and sells in the $25 to $35 range (with shipping). ...
Thanks!
I understand, the Sony PRS-350 is not anymore produced and not available as new device. Only used on ebay US.
In ebay germany it is unavailable though.
Sony seems to has generally stopped producing e-Book Readers
franc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:04 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any of the old Sony Readers have a low-res screen and are very slow (today's standards). And they freeze or lock up with high res images such as the cover.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #18
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Almost always need a password to access WiFi anyway.

Probably better idea to find a nice eReader that meets needs and desires, and will last for awhile without becoming outdated, instead of one that doesn’t, just because it doesn’t have WiFi. Don’t waste money and time.

Kind of like looking for a car, but you don’t want to go on the highway, so end up with a bicycle or horse.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:14 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
Thanks!
I understand, the Sony PRS-350 is not anymore produced and not available as new device. Only used on ebay US.
In ebay germany it is unavailable though.
Sony seems to has generally stopped producing e-Book Readers
No, I'm afraid Sony eReader production ended in 2013 (or 2014) with the PRS-T3. The PRS-350s were originally introduced in 2010. But battery life in Sony Readers seems to be really good.

There's a couple available on Germany's eBay now. One at...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SONY-ebook-R...wAAOSwJRld902b

(Description says it's missing the stylus and it looks fairly well used.)

Good luck.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-08-2020 at 06:33 AM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:30 AM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any of the old Sony Readers have a low-res screen and are very slow (today's standards). And they freeze or lock up with high res images such as the cover.
Actually, the screen is pretty good on the PRS-350, bright and sharp. It's a Pearl E-Ink at 800x600 but, because it's a 5" inch screen, that comes out to something like 200 dpi. So close to the 212 dpi that (a few years ago) was considered "HD." I've never had a 350 lock up because of a book cover. (Never even heard of it.) We're talking about older tech, but it's high quality older tech.
Advert
Old 06-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
franc
Connoisseur

Yeah, today the Pocketbook Basic 3 arrived, costed 55.- Euro, was new but not brand new. Some show-device or such.

Tested it and works well. WiFi can be disabled and the settings can be protected by password, what want I more?
Perfect device for my need. The games I will copy to my computer's harddrive and delete on the Pocketbook, so no distraction for reading
Thanks.

Such a very old Sony reader I won't buy, too old indeed.
I don't want to buy a 10 year old device with a 10 year old battery, I made bad experience with old batteries. Even the replace batteries are then often too old.

Thanks all.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yeah, today the Pocketbook Basic 3 arrived, costed 55.- Euro, was new but not brand new. Some show-device or such.
Sounds good. I like my PocketBook 615.

Quote:
Such a very old Sony reader I won't buy, too old indeed.
I don't want to buy a 10 year old device with a 10 year old battery, I made bad experience with old batteries. Even the replace batteries are then often too old.
Okay. I've found a few of these on Shop Goodwill in the U.S. None have had bad batteries. But I understand your decision. I was just trying to find something that didn't have WiFi built-in.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:34 AM   #23
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
... I was just trying to find something that didn't have WiFi built-in.
After all, WiFi could be not that bad
I found this send to pocketbook feature and registered an account (myname@pbsync.com) but it seems not to work.
I sent (several times) an epub book attached to an email to this address, but it doesn't arrive to the Pocketbook, even not after a while (hours later).

Something might be wrong. WiFi is enabled, there is no error (e.g. from Mailer daemon) when sending that mail and I tried also the manually syncing button, which is neither working - I don't know what's wrong. The sync folder (where the books should be downloaded to) stays empty.

Could this be a well-known problem?

Last edited by franc; 06-09-2020 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:30 AM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
After all, WiFi could be not that bad
I found this send to pocketbook feature and registered an account (myname@pbsync.com) but it seems not to work.
I sent (several times) an epub book attached to an email to this address, but it doesn't arrive to the Pocketbook, even not after a while (hours later).

Something might be wrong. WiFi is enabled, there is no error (e.g. from Mailer daemon) when sending that mail and I tried also the manually syncing button, which is neither working - I don't know what's wrong. The sync folder (where the books should be downloaded to) stays empty.

Could this be a well-known problem?
I'm not sure about the send to pocketbook feature, but with send to kindle, you also have to add the email address that you are sending *from* to a list.

*edit to add*

So, I did a google search on "send to pocketbook" and it looks like that is, indeed, the case.

Quote:
The list of trusted senders

Documents can be downloaded on the Device, if they are sent from the address, contained in the ‘white list’ (a list of the trusted senders).The address, specified at registration, is contained in the list by default.
http://sync.pocketbook-int.com/files/s2pb_info_en.pdf

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 06-09-2020 at 06:35 AM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #25
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Indeed! That I didn't notice, that I got an email first, to put that mail address to the white list, as it was in spam
So I put it into the white list with the link and now it works.
Takes a while, though, till the book is synced, but it works.

This Pocketbook Basic 3 is exactly what I wanted. The wifi is only useful.
I deleted the newsreader app too, so no browser, a simple plain reader with a good display.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I came here to read this thread. I suppose I will look for older generation Sonys like on the ebay suggestions. I have a need for a device with no internet capabilities (not just "ignore the fact that it comes with capabilities and don't use the internet part") as I want to give ebooks to someone who just got paroled and one of his conditions for accepting any devices is no internet capability. (We just bought a phone specified by his parole officer so he can text and phone when he needs to). I also of course will buy and give him actual print books too.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I came here to read this thread. I suppose I will look for older generation Sonys like on the ebay suggestions. I have a need for a device with no internet capabilities (not just "ignore the fact that it comes with capabilities and don't use the internet part") as I want to give ebooks to someone who just got paroled and one of his conditions for accepting any devices is no internet capability. (We just bought a phone specified by his parole officer so he can text and phone when he needs to). I also of course will buy and give him actual print books too.
The Sony PRS-650 is probably the best of the Sony no-WiFi readers. Someone in Calgary has one for sale on eBay.ca.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284442745357...QAAOSwYMxhN9BN

You might be able to offer them less than their asking price.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #28
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Thank you for the recommendation. I will keep these searches on my radar. At present I have an old mp3 player that I have transferred a few audio books and podcasts to that he may like, plus he has a library card to borrow physical books and cds etc.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote