Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #16
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
You're getting good advice here, based on the situation that you described (Kindle user, Amazon books, a little overwhelmed, not tech savvy).

In this instance, I would get a Kindle. I have the new PW5, and like it; it's the best PW yet. If you start learning to use Calibre and find yourself interested in trying a Kobo, you can add one of those too. I have both, and use my Kindle mainly for accessing (and liberating) my Azon book purchases, and I use my Kobo Libra 2 as my main e-ink reader. I like the manual page-turn buttons and slightly larger screen on the Kobo, plus its software is slightly more appealing to me.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #17
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want to remove the DRM from Kindle eBooks, you are best to buy a cheap Kindle that can read KF8. Then buy a Kobo Libra 2 or Sage for actually reading.
Agree. If OP wants to START with a Kobo, this IS the best way to go because you still need a way to directly access and liberate your Azon book purchases.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:03 AM   #18
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Prior to this month I'd have said get a Kindle without question or reservation. This month I read a book on my Kobo Aura One and didn't just turn it on and read. I went to the Aa settings and played with all the options, font sizing AND weight, line spacing, and margins. The Kindle doesn't offer font weight changes, at least that I've ever found, and doesn't offer the breadth of choices on spacing and margins.

I played with them all and got a font I like far more than anything my Kindle has given me. Now if I just had a bit bigger screen and buttons I'd have the (as close as anything can/will ever get to being) perfect ereader. I'm considering getting a Sage I don't need to get a lot more horsepower to solve the slow startup/page turn issues and add buttons.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:06 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
The Kindle doesn't offer font weight changes.
Yes, it does, but not with the .mobi format. It must be AZW3 or KFX.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:49 AM   #20
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, it does, but not with the .mobi format. It must be AZW3 or KFX.
I don't know what those are and for those who do that is good. I was replying based on straight out of the box with no special knowledge or tools required, as that's where I am and the impression I got of where the OP also is.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:43 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I don't know what those are and for those who do that is good. I was replying based on straight out of the box with no special knowledge or tools required, as that's where I am and the impression I got of where the OP also is.
The weight options should work with direct Amazon downloads out of the box. If you don't see them with those, then something is wrong.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:39 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have both a Kindle and a Kobo. I went down that route as I keep my Amazon Books on my Kindle and everything else on Kobo. For me it’s just simpler that way, I spend much less time organising now and more time reading.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I went down that route as I keep my Amazon Books on my Kindle and everything else on Kobo. For me it’s just simpler that way, I spend much less time organising now and more time reading.
That is exactly my practice for exactly that reason.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote