Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Firmware 5.1.1

If I honestly knew how much I would HATE the latest update I would have never turned on my Kindle's wireless again. If it was possible I would rollback to the previous firmware update. The only positive thing I see with the latest update is the removal of the carousel.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Wish I never updated to 5.1.1 Don't like it at all. It looks like a fake Nexus, without the ability to roll back in settings. Lost some apps too. This is like buying a Samsung and getting a Samsung Nook instead.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you have a 4th gen Fire tablet, you can go back if you are prepared to factory reset:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201980430

Another of the things that seems to have vanished is Firefly. Kind of strange, that, insofar as (among other things) it was a way to scan stuff to buy from Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you have a 4th gen Fire tablet, you can go back if you are prepared to factory reset:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201980430

Another of the things that seems to have vanished is Firefly. Kind of strange, that, insofar as (among other things) it was a way to scan stuff to buy from Amazon.
Well, it put Firefly on my Kindle. I do not know what version I have but I got it in March 2015.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Well, it put Firefly on my Kindle. I do not know what version I have but I got it in March 2015.
I had Firefly until the update to 5.1.1. Now it is gone. I remember people reporting not seeing it at first (with one of the 4.x updates) and then having it show up later (without any explicit update). Maybe that will happen in my case.

That said, I don't see any reference to it on the new Fire tablet product pages.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201980430

Tomsem I do have a 4th gen, so this should work. I still have Firefly on my HDX when I went to 5.1.1. Hopefully you'll see it on your device soon too. If not I would tell Amazon that you would to have it back since the update. If I understand this correctly, the newest fires don't have firefly for some reason. But if you did have it before the update then you should still have it after the last update. Must be a glitch in the system or something.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Tomsem I do have a 4th gen, so this should work. I still have Firefly on my HDX when I went to 5.1.1. Hopefully you'll see it on your device soon too. If not I would tell Amazon that you would to have it back since the update. If I understand this correctly, the newest fires don't have firefly for some reason. But if you did have it before the update then you should still have it after the last update. Must be a glitch in the system or something.
I just sent them some feedback, will see what they say. But I'm not certain it is absent from the new Fires: there are a couple of references to it in the Q&A on the Fire HD8 product listing, for example.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

If I would not lose everything I would reset. I prefer reading from MoonReader Pro instead of the Kindle reader app. When I got this new Kindle it took me 2 or 3 days to remember/figure out how to add MoonReader back.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
If I would not lose everything I would reset. I prefer reading from MoonReader Pro instead of the Kindle reader app. When I got this new Kindle it took me 2 or 3 days to remember/figure out how to add MoonReader back.
Yeah the reset is time consuming ,putting everything back the way it was. Right now I'm comparing my HDX 7, 3rd gen. not updated to the 8.9 4th gen that is updated. To make sure my screens will match when I roll back the 8.9.

Also KyBunnies you can tell which gen. you have by going into the drop box in settings , press device options, then press device model, second from bottom on the list is what device you have, it will say if it's a 3rd or 4rth gen. HDX. 8.9
Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Yeah the reset is time consuming ,putting everything back the way it was. Right now I'm comparing my HDX 7, 3rd gen. not updated to the 8.9 4th gen that is updated. To make sure my screens will match when I roll back the 8.9.

Also KyBunnies you can tell which gen. you have by going into the drop box in settings , press device options, then press device model, second from bottom on the list is what device you have, it will say if it's a 3rd or 4rth gen. HDX. 8.9
I have an 8.9 inch fire but I do not know anything about it except I barely use the thing. Most of the time it sits on the shelf dead. I have started to use it at adoption events with the rescue I work with but that is it. I cannot figure out anything about it. I tried reading on it and for me it is to large and bulky to hold for reading.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Wearever
Wizard

The fire 8.9 may be a little different from HDX models. I only have the HDX in both 7 and 8.9. but maybe the same device info is there. It's also where you would go to factory reset. It has all the info for your device like device name change, serial number, and which gen your device is. All you need to do is settings- press device options- then it takes you to device model info. it's probably the same on all fire tablets.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
The fire 8.9 may be a little different from HDX models. I only have the HDX in both 7 and 8.9. but maybe the same device info is there. It's also where you would go to factory reset. It has all the info for your device like device name change, serial number, and which gen your device is. All you need to do is settings- press device options- then it takes you to device model info. it's probably the same on all fire tablets.
Pictures attached with what I see when I go to settings and select device and then about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	146640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	146641  
Old 02-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Pictures attached with what I see when I go to settings and select device and then about.
Ah that is a bit different, then what I see in device models. So that is a Fire 8.9. I'll look to see what I can find out about them on Amazon. Did you buy it new in 2015 ?
Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Ah that is a bit different, then what I see in device models. So that is a Fire 8.9. I'll look to see what I can find out about them on Amazon. Did you buy it new in 2015 ?
No not new. Refurbished. Amazon sent me that as a replacement for a bad Kindle Fire 7. I could never get a straight answer on which one it was.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Wearever
Wizard

Wow you got a 8.9 fire for a replacement on a 7 fire ! That' a good deal, too bad they didn't tell you what gen it was though. As far as I could find out , you probably have a 3rd. gen. I looked at your screen shot & gen 2 is similar also. The same is true for the HDX 3rd & 4th gen. Not much difference between gens. I wish there was a way to see what gen. it is on the device screen. But neither seemed to have them. You would probably need to ask someone who has an 8.9 fire here an see what they say ? All I know is the latest fires ( not HDX ones ) have new sizes,6 inch 8 inch & 10 inch. So the 8.9 is before those. So that makes me think it's possibly a 3rd gen 8.9, I think that was the last fire gen. with 8.9 size.