Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Kindle Publishing for Blogs opens to everyone

From Techcrunch:

Quote:
One of the neat little sub-features of Amazon’s Kindle is being able to subscribe to blogs on it. You have to pay for the privilege, but for heavy Kindle users, it makes sense as you can get the content delivered to you wirelessly for your favorite blogs. You know, like TechCrunch.

But the biggest limiting factor of this so far is that only the big blogs have been included in the blog directory. Starting today, anyone can make their blogs available via the new Kindle Publishing for Blogs Beta program.
Link: Kindle Publishing Now Open To All Blogs
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
While this program is going to be helpful in discovery, the implementation with regard to pricing is completely arbitrary.

https://kindlepublishing.amazon.com/...emID=200296470

Quote:
6. Can I set the price for my blog?

No. Amazon will define the price based on what we deem is a fair value for customers.

7. Can I make my blog free?

No, Amazon will define the price based on what we deem is a fair value for customers.
Amazon determines the "fair value" of each blog? Sounds like this program is going to be a lot of fun to follow.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I wish they'd allow us to offer blogs for free through their platform. ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
There has to be some cost associated with it to pay for the wireless data transmission. I would imagine that Amazon look at the traffic level of the blog, and base the price on that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, I hadn't thought about the costs for Amazon.
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
True, I hadn't thought about the costs for Amazon.
Question is, are readers willing to pay?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
perhaps this is a good time to mention that feedbooks offers (free) rss / blog subscriptions, and i believe they can be accessed wirelessly through the feedbooks download guide (correct me if i'm wrong). also, they've just launched a new api which will allow a blogger to create a book on feedbooks directly from their blog using AtomPub. could be worth looking into...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
My question would be, do I at least get to subscribe to my own blog for free?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would imagine the answer is "no", because again it has to be sent to your Kindle via the Sprint 3G wireless connection, and someone has to pay for that - it costs "real money".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Think they'd let blogs on how to find free books through?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

For Amazon, there is a cost associated with wireless, but isn't the 70% Amazon / 30% blogger distribution unfair?

One could argue that the blogger is getting free money. But if anyone should make the most from the content on a blog, why should it be Amazon?

Looking at a vaguely comparable model, Apple gives 70% of an app's revenue to app developers, and keeps 30%. Difference - Apple doesn't pay for wireless data transfer of the app. However, app downloads are not charged separately on the phone bill, so downloading apps is effectively 'free' with the unlimited-data iPhone plan.

I don't know if a lot of people are going to pay for blogs on the Kindle, but I believe it's a bit of an unfair deal for bloggers. Especially when you consider all the free publicity for the Kindle from all the bloggers who sign up.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Welcome to the world of publishing. What percentage do you think an author gets for a book? 30% would be good.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
anurag
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Welcome to the world of publishing. What percentage do you think an author gets for a book? 30% would be good.

Dale
Why should old models of book publishing influence new media? Physical book pricing models don't translate well even to digital versions of the same content. Blogs on ebook readers are even more different, and deserve a completely new approach to pricing.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Interesting update from Techcrunch:

How The Kindle Now Lets You Steal This Blog

Quote:
Amazon’s new blog publishing program has a major flaw: it lets anyone steal other people’s blogs and charge readers for them... Apparently, it is not just blogs that can be claimed. Uploading books is pretty easy too. Journalist Paul Carr emails us to say that he was able to upload his book, Bringing Nothing To The Party: Confessions Of A New Media Whore, to the Kindle Store ” in less than 24 hrs without even once being asked to prove that a) I was the author b) I had the electronic rights for the US.” Talk about opening the door to book piracy.