Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-15-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Books for ukranian refugees

Havea 14 year old staying with us ,with parent, under the homes for ukranians refugee scheme thing.
Looking for reading sources for him i.e. where can I get books in ukranian? For the next few months. YA novels would be ideal.

Noting in Kindle unlimited or in my local library.

I have a spare kobo , just need some sources for actual books

Last edited by issybird; 09-15-2022 at 03:58 PM. Reason: To bring into compliance with the Guidelines.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #2
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Advanced Search Kindle format and Kindle Unlimited, title [Ukrainian edition] gives a few, mostly bilingual.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/%D0%9F%D1...dp/B082S4WV2R/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2022, 01:03 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.
I could be heading into complexity, with need for fonts etc here, but finding dictionaries may be a place to start.
We have a spare kindle as well as a spare kobo so could go with whichever has better support for Ukrainian language

I found one kindle pocket dictionary on sale but no free ones yet.
I suspect there are helpful projects out there to tap into, it's finding them....

Cannot things like Google translate do entire books somehow

i found some free resources for learning english
https://www.open.edu/openlearn/supporting-ukrainians
but with kobo, kindles, it seems twas never a target market

i don't even know if ebook firmware can handle the UKr alphabet, without tweaking.

looked at my kobo dictionary options. nothing for Ukr <_> english, ditto for kindle

here's the pottermore link for anyone who stumbles across the thread.
https://www.pottermorepublishing.com...books/#ENstart [ copy to paste here is disabled ]

Last edited by stumped; 09-16-2022 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Havea 14 year old staying with us ,with parent, under the homes for ukranians refugee scheme thing.
Looking for reading sources for him i.e. where can I get books in ukranian? For the next few months. YA novels would be ideal.

Noting in Kindle unlimited or in my local library.

I have a spare kobo , just need some sources for actual books
Are you located in Europe/UK? A Europe-wide app was launched earlier this year. I haven't used it personally only seen it advertised in a local healthcare newsletter.

https://mentalhealthnd.org/free-eboo...-in-ukrainian/

Quote:
Thousands of free eBooks and audiobooks in Ukrainian

“In order to provide Ukrainians with a range of free reading, listening, learning and entertainment opportunities, multimedia connect provider Odilio launched a free app for both Android and iOS in early April. Available across Europe, the app includes 3000 e-books and audiobooks in a variety of genres, including 1700 Ukrainian titles and 500 in English. There is material for both children and adults. We hope that everyone – from social workers to host families – will draw the attention of the refugees to this app. To offer them the support, pleasure or comfort of reading, learning and listening in these difficult and uncertain times.”
Witty Username is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:04 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

UK

i think i saw that but they have to individually sign up, and are still finding their feet. Only landed in UK on Thursday. took nearly 3 months to get through the UK's horrible vis"a process. Local Council needed much prodding but we got a school place arranged and they get an " official welcome visit next Thurs. Much more paperwork to wade through before they can claim any state benefits...

I am now thinking we should use e-reader as a learn english tool rather than a read in Ukranian fiction device.
& that that the kindle PW, not the kobo, is the simpler device to use, if you cant read all the menu labels.

the teen meets his new school on tuesday. Once we have an estimate of his English reading age I should be able to put on lots of age appropriate English stuff for him.

( on the look out now for a basic win 10 laptop for homework, that we can maybe set up in Ukranian - lots of future fun there with fonts and keyboards, I expect. I'm hoping some of the free open office alternatives to MS office will be bilingual enough to quickly master for school work )

PS Congrats to Netflix for having Ukrainian subtitles on The Witcher

Last edited by stumped; 09-17-2022 at 05:12 AM.
Advert
Old 09-17-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are you prohibiting them to use the libraries they used earlier? It is hard to believe a 14-yo person doesn't know about where they can find books for free.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Are you prohibiting them to use the libraries they used earlier? It is hard to believe a 14-yo person doesn't know about where they can find books for free.
Not going there.
When you are running from Russian tanks and rapists you don't stop to write down download URLs, if indeed they ever had any.

Anyway, they both were issued free local library cards today, but all the library books and e books are in english. May get children's library e books for teen when we know his reading age.
We have been kindly offered a used laptop now, to set up for them ,for homework etc
And Amazon sell Ukrainian alphabet key stickers for laplop keyboards