Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Alan Newson
Alan Newson began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
ePub Bookmark Issue

Hi, I'm having an intermitent issue with ePub bookmarks when viewed within iBooks on my iPad 2. Sometimes they work without any problem page after page, but other times I can tap the icon time and time again but the bookmark doesn't appear.

I did have a margin of 0.5em within my CSS, which I have removed, and it seems to make no difference to either the layout of the bookmark issue.

My version of iBooks is 2.0.1
It is an iPad 2 running version 5.1

Any advice on what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Alan
Alan Newson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Probably your bookmarks are not correct. Do they work in ADE?

What is your code?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Alan Newson

These are the default iBook bookmarks. I'm not adding any code to try and do anything clever.

Or am I supposed to add code, and in fact I'm being really dumb?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, you are talking about iBooks bookmarks and not ePUB bookmarks?

In that case is seems like an error in the iBooks program. Report the error to Apple so they can fix it.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Alan Newson

I've seen other people have had the same problem, and done some trials on other ePubs that I've downloaded. Mine do seem to be more prone to the problem though. I'm using the code below, and think I'll have a look to see if the issue is being caused when either of these is implemented.

.group {
page-break-inside: avoid;
}

.page-break {
page-break-before: always;
}
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard

Both are valid CSS and within the ePUB specifications. They should be honored, but no garantuee on iBooks. Try the BlueFire reader. That one has ADE as core. See if the links do work there.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Alan Newson

The bookmarks work fine in BlueFire. They actually work fine in iBooks once a bookmaker has been set. The problem is that sometimes I can tap the bookmark icon in the top-right of the iBooks screen as much as I like, but the red marker just doesn't slide out.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Newson View Post
I've seen other people have had the same problem, and done some trials on other ePubs that I've downloaded. Mine do seem to be more prone to the problem though. I'm using the code below, and think I'll have a look to see if the issue is being caused when either of these is implemented.

.group {
page-break-inside: avoid;
}

.page-break {
page-break-before: always;
}
If you don't need to do a page break (like with endnotes in one file), then the best thing is to split the XML as the page breaks so there are none and each place where there would be a page break starts a new XML. That will possibly solve some of the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub bookmarks