Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Do you ever think "Who reads this?"

So I get the dailly email from BookBub and I have discovered some great stuff there. But sometimes I look at other books on the list and think "who reads this?"

Like this one:
AITA? (It's #2 in Lesbian Romance, so maybe I'm just a doofus?)
Quote:
Becky’s fiancé wants to have a three-way with a demon before their upcoming wedding — but when they use a Delectably Demonic summoning kit to summon beautiful Quenalith, Becky discovers a spark she didn’t know she was missing! A scorching, paranormal f/f rom-com.
I guess it's just the mention of demon summoning mixed with a cover that looks like a Hallmark movie poster (except one of the ladies looks like an extra from Star Trek).

I'm sure others would look askance at stuff I like. Just having fun.

What are some quirky titles that you have seen?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
That's not even weird, I'd totally read that.

I give you the Kissing the Coronavirus series. Yes, it's a series.

It also has this spin-off: Covid Claus is Coming to Town

I guess, whatever get's the juices flowing
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post

That just is one of the most stupidest series I've ever seen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:10 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post

Those books sound great. They are clearly written as a joke. One of the popular highlights:
Quote:
His tongue, so soft and hot, like a chunk of microwaved fish, sloshing around inside her mouth.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:27 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Those books sound great. They are clearly written as a joke. One of the popular highlights:
Jeez. It's enough to make one celibate for life.

Now I'm actually sick...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2023, 01:29 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's a good cover for the Kissing The Coronavirus series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Look v01n12 [1937-08-03] (BONES)_0000.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	200341  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:31 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
That's it. I'm gone from here.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:40 PM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Not what you meant, but I never could understand the large number of public domain ebooks available on sites like Amazon. Search for the Kindle version of "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin," for example. There are 43 PAGES of results!

Who reads those? In most cases, no one, I bet. Why does Amazon waste the bandwidth?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:55 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Not what you meant, but I never could understand the large number of public domain ebooks available on sites like Amazon. Search for the Kindle version of "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin," for example. There are 43 PAGES of results!

Who reads those? In most cases, no one, I bet. Why does Amazon waste the bandwidth?
And many of them are lazy Gutenberg swipes without any sort of preliminary formatting cleanup. Those are a mystery.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post

1) Lazy greed. People use the ease of KDP and the listing costs nothing.

2) Many people will buy from Amazon and never know about Gutenberg.

3) Many that know about Gutenberg think a 99c version from Amazon will be better.

4) Amazon has no human curation. They use automated tools that barely check more than formatting.

5) A bigger catalogue looks better and it costs Amazon nearly nothing per book. A mobile/cell delivery costs more, but that's a money-making sale.

Edit:
I've bought (sometimes "free") paper and ebooks and wondered why anyone would read them. I'm not giving titles. I do read most genres except "literary critic winners", erotic, horror or sport.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-15-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:55 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
1) Lazy greed. People use the ease of KDP and the listing costs nothing.
And sometimes it is second order greed. The results of people selling instructions on how to make easy money by publishing freely available content on Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:58 PM   #12
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Does a bigger catalog REALLY look better? If I need a public domain book, how do I choose from that morass? How many do I have to try before I get one with decent formatting? Is that the experience Amazon wants for its customers?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:08 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I do read most genres except "literary critic winners", erotic, horror or sport.
Erotic, horror and sport I get; I don't read them myself. But "literary critic winners" must have a meaning for you that it doesn't for me. "Critically acclaimed"? "Literary prize winner"? Either or both? The issue for me is that books in both (overlapping, as you'd expect) categories can range from the highfalutin and unreadable to the solidly middle brow (also mostly unreadable). OK, I did use the word "unreadable" to describe the ends of the spectrum, but there can be decent stuff in the middle.

One of my frustrations in trying to drill down a list of library acquisitions, for example, is how very many books make the "literary fiction" cut. Chicklit, "sweeping family sagas", you name it. Certainly fiction, but not my idea of literary.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:13 PM   #14
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think that with Shakespeare. Not only "who" but "why"...

Yes, I am sure I will be flamed for that, but I just don't understand the fuss that is made about his writings.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:07 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Erotic, horror and sport I get; I don't read them myself. But "literary critic winners" must have a meaning for you that it doesn't for me. "Critically acclaimed"? "Literary prize winner"? Either or both? The issue for me is that books in both (overlapping, as you'd expect) categories can range from the highfalutin and unreadable to the solidly middle brow (also mostly unreadable). OK, I did use the word "unreadable" to describe the ends of the spectrum, but there can be decent stuff in the middle.
The same could be said of horror, a genre I read and enjoy (along with 'literary critic winners').

I started this thread, because man, there's some quirky stuff out there. But I don't dismiss any genre/flavor out of hand.