Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
mang
mang began at the beginning.

Device: phone
Foliant with Spanish Characters

hi everybody, im new to the forum so im posting here, i hope this is the right section.

my issue is with foliant, when i load books in text or pb2 format, it displays weird characters when it find these characters: áéìóúñ

i have tried changing the encoding but none of them work.

the only way to display them correctly is using the system font but the problem is that such font is a little hard to read.

im using the 0.6.3 and the 0.7 beta3 versions but the problem remains
any idea how to fix it???

thanks
mang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
It's gone a while since you posted, Mang, and no-one replied yet, so I'll make a guess. I googled on pb2 and the first four replies that came up dealt with how to solve problems with pb2, involving fixing one's registry and indicate to me that it's a flaky format, if you've got to dive into the inner workings of your operating system to keep it ticking over.

I also googled on foliant, which is apparently some kind of android app, so presumably you're looking to use these flaky pb2 files on a pocket device, like your nokia phone.

The whole sounds very experimental, and I note that you can see them properly with the system font which you don't want to use since it's hard to read (does that mean very small?). An inspired guess would be that the extra fonts you have don't recognize anything other than, perhaps expanded ASCII, that is you'd probably have a couple or three of the French accents, but not much else.

Try other fonts that work with your device/opsys/format, and see if you can find one with a fuller range of foreign symbols. I've had a similar problem with pinyin and Chinese, and some fonts just don't include anything other than the most basic - i.e. western symbols.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
mang
mang began at the beginning.

Device: phone
thanks for your help
the problem was basically that i was using text file as input, instead of epub which is a more elegant and complete format for reading

the solution ive found is stop using foliant and using albite reader instead, it works like a charm and it recognizes all spanish characters with proper encoding, speed is awesome too.

i highly recommend albite reader for java phones (mine is a samsung s5230, star)
forget about text files and use epub

thanks!!
mang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fb2, foliant