Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #8086
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm reading "The Mists of Avalon". Interesting so far, and it's really hitting the spot.
Been a looooong time, but I loved that book!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #8087
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Me too!

I finished Nevermore by Kelly Creagh yesterday and it was brilliant. 5 stars for sure.

Starting The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness today.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #8088
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I'm reading "The Mists of Avalon". Interesting so far, and it's really hitting the spot.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Me too!

I finished Nevermore by Kelly Creagh yesterday and it was brilliant. 5 stars for sure.

Starting The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness today.
Fourthed! The Mists of Avalon is one of my all time favorite books. Currently though, I'm reading Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang. The description got me:

Quote:
Six months ago, Abby Sinclair was struggling to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Now, she has an enchanted iPod, a miniature unicorn living in her underwear drawer, and a magical marketplace to manage.
It's not bad, although right now it seems to be one of those where the author says, "how much trouble can I get this character into and she still survives?"
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #8089
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham, which was one of the Sourcebooks holiday freebies. It was billed as a historical romance, but was really more of a romantic historical for while the thread of characters being deeply in love with one another runs strong, it's just one of many which make up the overall tapestry of these persons' life stories.

This novel centers around Eleanor le Despenser, niece of King Edward II of England, who gets caught up in a lot of drama because of her relations (blood and in-law) basically fighting amongst themselves for control of the country, really. While I'd already known the bare facts of what happened with Edward II and Isabella of France, I wasn't well enough acquainted with that part of English history to really know any of the other major players, and I quite liked this depiction of various people who apparently had interesting lives, in the sense of the traditional Chinese curse.

It is rather infodumpy at times, with a lot of summarized timelines-of-events leading into scenes showing how the characters reacted to it all, but not particularly clunky. I especially appreciated the author's notes in the back on what was really known about these people at that time, and what she went and filled on, and upon which basis she had for doing it that way, and also what happened to them in real life after the story told in the book wraps up.

Quite good for a first novel (apparently it won some sort of minor award) and I wouldn't mind reading the sequel, for which a sample chapter is enclosed. E-book version, aside from having a mix of straight and curly quotes, was practically typo free. However, it had this irritating half-space between paragraphs that was neither a full line-height, nor none, which made the paragraphs look just sli-i-i-ghtly off and grated on my nerves.

Recommended for people who like their romances very historical, or their historicals somewhat but not overwhelmingly romantic, and more than a bit sensationalistic, what with all the equally depicted love affairs. (Edward the II was one of those kings who was reputed to be very close to certain advisors to the detriment of his rulership, Isabella of France is also known as the She-Wolf, and traitors were traditionally hung, drawn, and quartered, which should give you adequate warning for content).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #8090
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I squeezed in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy this week. Amusing parts.

Back to Earth Abides. So far it's OK. But let's have some emotion. Everyone dies and he doesn't shed a tear?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 03:52 AM   #8091
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I shall have to have a think about what to read next. Probably February's book club book
Well, I haven't found a legitimate copy of "A Room With A View" yet. It's still in copyright in the UK, so I shouldn't use the Mobileread one. And I'm not going to pay for an unauthorised one (of which there seem to be several on Amazon UK), that would be silly.

So I read a couple more pages of Ulysses, but I've just had a couple of SF magazine subscriptions come in, so I'll read one of them next:

Analog SFF, April 2011
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #8092
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Well, I haven't found a legitimate copy of "A Room With A View" yet. It's still in copyright in the UK, so I shouldn't use the Mobileread one. And I'm not going to pay for an unauthorised one (of which there seem to be several on Amazon UK), that would be silly.
Mr Forster died in 1970 age 91 so his works aren't public domain in the UK, Australia or Canada. This book written in 1908 won't be PD in UK until 2041 or 133 years after publication. Madness. Especially considering he had no children or close relatives being an only child. Some very distant relative probably controls the copyright.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...ook29/6929553/

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...=OD00259627410
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #8093
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I'm by no means convinced that The Floating Press has a licence to publish the book. I'll ask.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #8094
killdanzig
killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I have been putting Wintertide off as the last book doesn't come out until April.

I absolutely love the first two Hunger Games books, but I was disappointed by the third, Mockingjay.
Quote:
I was a tiny bit disappointed with Mockingjay, too. I felt it was a bit rushed.

I was thinking about putting off Wintertide, too, but in the end I couldn't help myself. I can't wait for the last book!

I'm reading "The Sworn Sword", and I'm thinking my next book might be "The Mists of Avalon" or "Sailing to Sarantium".
oh no.

i really wish i didn't go back through this thread and read the followups.

i am currently enjoying Mockingjay, but i am a little apprehensive at the same time.

i hope this book doesn't end a great series on a sour note.

as a side note, be careful with mixing The Hunger Games trilogy and watching Generation Kill and The Pacific at the same time...definitely makes for some interestingly violent dreams
killdanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #8095
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'm by no means convinced that The Floating Press has a licence to publish the book. I'll ask.
No, they don't have rights in the UK. A mistake in the info provided to the distributor, apparently.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #8096
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killdanzig View Post
oh no.

i am currently enjoying Mockingjay, but i am a little apprehensive at the same time.

as a side note, be careful with mixing The Hunger Games trilogy and watching Generation Kill and The Pacific at the same time...definitely makes for some interestingly violent dreams
I liked the end, so I wouldn't worry too much. I had a year of anticipation and waiting for Mockingjay. That could be part of the reason for disappointment, I was expecting it to be better than the previous two, and for me it fell way short. Lots of people love it though.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #8097
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by killdanzig View Post
oh no.

It's not bad, not by a long shot. I really did enjoy it, don't get me wrong. I don't want to say anything else, lest I spoil your reading of it! I just wish that it had been either longer so that some things could have been explained more in depth, or that it had been divided into two books.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #8098
slenderperson1
slenderperson1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
The Mists of Avalon was my all time favorite. One of the few books I reread.
slenderperson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #8099
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I squeezed in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy this week. Amusing parts.

Back to Earth Abides. So far it's OK. But let's have some emotion. Everyone dies and he doesn't shed a tear?
It's probably not a good idea to admit that that book bored me to tears...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #8100
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Finally finished Ulysses!!! I thought I would be relieved, but I'm not. The last chapter was really beautiful, and sad.

Now I need to pick a book in my "to read" list. I think I'll start The Finkler Question.

In the meantime also reading Mirror Dance, by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Congrats on finishing Ulysses. I never made it very far (but that was years ago - perhaps it's time to try again).

Just finished The Finkler Question, and honestly I wasn't terribly impressed. Toward the end it was something of an effort to get through. Reminded me of a not-terribly-funny Woody Allen movie - though with the twist that the Woody Allen character is actually a Gentile who just wants to be Jewish.

In the meantime I just started Let the Great World Spin. A bit weird so far, but I'm enjoying it all the same.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote