Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #46
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
The biggest influence on my ebook purchases is geographic restrictions.

I buy from: Harlequin, Smashwords, Kobo, Baen, Mills and Boon mostly.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #47
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
When looking for a book , I have no special or favorite place, I will buy where and what I am looking for can be found at the lowest price offered after considering the rep of the outfit selling. Not picky at all.

My biggest problem is much of what I seek seems to be out of print and not yet if ever in ebook format.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #48
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I buy all my books from iTunes book store. They get all of my media business, music, videos, and now books and magazines. I may be paying more for items but I don't care, I am making a conscious choice of convenience over price.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I buy all my books from iTunes book store. They get all of my media business, music, videos, and now books and magazines. I may be paying more for items but I don't care, I am making a conscious choice of convenience over price.
The iTunes music is now DRM-free, but the books and videos aren't. And there's currently no DRM-remover software for books from the iTunes books store.

Let's hope you don't ever want to read your books on a non-iOS device.

Personally, I won't buy DRMed ebooks where I can't immediately remove the DRM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #50
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't mind paying a bit more for a book if it doesn't have DRM?
I will pay for books without DRM.
I will not pay, nor download for free, books with DRM. (This is less an ethical decision than one of convenience... I bounce between three computers and two ereaders + husband's + daughter's ereaders, and the troubles of registering everything, or sorting out DRM-removal software, is more hassle than I want to deal with. If I ever run out of DRM-free ebooks I want to read, I'll reconsider this stance.)

So I suppose I'm okay with paying more for books without DRM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #51
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
In no particular order: B&N, fictionwise, smashwords, baenbooks, Amazon

Vic
Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #52
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The iTunes music is now DRM-free, but the books and videos aren't. And there's currently no DRM-remover software for books from the iTunes books store.

Let's hope you don't ever want to read your books on a non-iOS device.

Personally, I won't buy DRMed ebooks where I can't immediately remove the DRM.
I appreciate and understand how others feel about DRM but, for myself, I see no negative impact. I have always been an Apple / iOS user and that won't ever change.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #53
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
I buy few ebooks as there's plenty of free, legally available content for me to read. I also make my own ebooks from web pages or other documents that I want to read.

All of the ebooks that I have purchased have been computer books. I bought them from the publishers' web sites: O'Reilly Media, Manning Publications, Lulu.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #54
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It's certainly very possible--I do it on every book I buy from Amazon (or anywhere else.) And why? Because then I control the book, not Amazon. And I can use my own tools however I wish to manage my books and transfer to whatever device I want.
thats about the size of it. if i should decide that i want a different model ereader in the future i'll be damned if i'm gonna spend $100s of dollars rebuying books.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #55
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I buy from Sony, from Smashwords, from MLR Books or AllRomance, and whenever possible I buy straight from the author.

Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't mind paying a bit more for a book if it doesn't have DRM?
But there's no such option. I can't buy the books I want to read without DRM. Books are not interchangeable.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #56
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Wow,

I try to buy as few Amazon as possible, with the format, and them changing to another too, that's scary. The ones I frequent the most when I buy books, are Smashwords, Mobipocket, Feedbooks, and Kobo (I think). It's difficult. I wanna get as many of my pbooks converted to ebooks, but I continue.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #57
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I normally buy from Kobobooks as they are usually my cheapest option especially when I have a discount code to use.

I only buy from Amazon as a last resort. They must either be the only source or significantly cheaper as the question of whether I will be able to convert their books to something that I want is always there.
Just yesterday I downloaded 2 freebies from Amazon and even though I have the latest version of the Calibre plugins I am stuck with azw files that I can't convert. When it's a freebie I just delete it and move on to something else but I would be quite irritated if that happened with a paid book.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #58
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I normally buy from Kobobooks as they are usually my cheapest option especially when I have a discount code to use.

I only buy from Amazon as a last resort. They must either be the only source or significantly cheaper as the question of whether I will be able to convert their books to something that I want is always there.
Just yesterday I downloaded 2 freebies from Amazon and even though I have the latest version of the Calibre plugins I am stuck with azw files that I can't convert. When it's a freebie I just delete it and move on to something else but I would be quite irritated if that happened with a paid book.
Never had that issue the Calibre but if it been a paid book you have 7 days to return it for a full refund. Kindle support is great that way.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #59
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks Blossom that's good to know.
Next time I need to buy something I will try to remember to check the return section. It won't allow me to return free books - I know there's no point in returning a free book but I would like to see how it works.
Do you need to give a reason for the return?
I don't think I want to tell Amazon I am returning it because I can't remove the DRM and covert it to ePub.
But I have been caught out a few times where as soon as buy from Amazon I find it cheaper elsewhere (sometimes it seems like Kobo delays releasing books until I have just purchased them! )
Would the fact that the book is cheaper elsewhere be sufficient reason for a return?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 AM   #60
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
if i should decide that i want a different model ereader in the future i'll be damned if i'm gonna spend $100s of dollars rebuying books.
$100s? I've spent thousands* over the past ten years, and expect to spent thousands more over the next ten.

*Probably around $7000 in total. Hmm.. a $2/day habit.

Oh, and having just looked at how much I've spent, I find that I've spent most at fictionwise, closely followed by webscription.net, and then small amounts at many other places. I rather expect that over the next ten years, most of the fictionwise spending will shift to Amazon.
Closed Thread