Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #226
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datvigi View Post
Quick question. Managed to get Marvin on my new device but it is acting like I never purchased it and it fails when trying to restore the purchase from the app store. Any issue there?
IIRC in the thread there was a method mentioned by restoring from a back up, but maybe I'm wrong.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:55 PM   #227
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because Marvin is no longer in the app store, you won't be able to restore your purchase. It's time to give up on Marvin.
Not quite.

Apple disavows all knowledge of Marvin, that's why you can't restore it through the app store. You can still restore it through the iMazing method mentioned in this thread. You can even restore old books if you had backed them up from Marvin. Or just re-download them if you are using some other book manager program... e.g. Calibre.

Whether or not you choose to 'give up on Marvin' is up to you... not the resident curmudgeon.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2023, 10:36 AM   #228
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Now that I have my new iPhone and, sadly, have found that Marvin 3 no longer be used, I decided to try MapleRead CX. Is there a group on Mobileread similar to this on where I can ask questions about the program? Get hints and tips such as, I loaded 4 books onto the program and get a message: "You can open a total of 5 books that are imported from other book sources. You have 4 such new book(s) remaining."

Does that mean that, in version CX, I only can have 5 books loaded from my PC into the program?? If I like the program, I probably will purchase it but want to give it a good trial before I do that.

Just wondering where I can find good help with MapleRead CX and, possibly any other epub reader that I will be trying out.

Thank you!!
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 11:03 AM   #229
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Now that I have my new iPhone and, sadly, have found that Marvin 3 no longer be used, I decided to try MapleRead CX. Is there a group on Mobileread similar to this on where I can ask questions about the program? Get hints and tips such as, I loaded 4 books onto the program and get a message: "You can open a total of 5 books that are imported from other book sources. You have 4 such new book(s) remaining."

Does that mean that, in version CX, I only can have 5 books loaded from my PC into the program?? If I like the program, I probably will purchase it but want to give it a good trial before I do that.

Just wondering where I can find good help with MapleRead CX and, possibly any other epub reader that I will be trying out.

Thank you!!
Check this thread for MapleRead https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276074
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 12:14 PM   #230
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moody View Post
No - that surprised me after earlier comments. I had a fully paid for ( many years ago) app, and there was no banner, no request to reauthorise ( as some apps request), or anything. As it’s a clean install it also seems a little better/faster/as expected originally - which may also be because I had reset the iPad to new last month. It didn’t take long to reformat to my liking (justifying etc), and now both apps are working well.

After copying the ipa over, I reinstalled from a recent backup, and maybe that did the authorisation? Anyway, all my metadata, etc are all there as if I’d just left it alone for a few weeks!
Were you able to just pick out to reinstall Marvin from your backup or did you have to do a full backup to your new phone after you got the new IPA installed of Marvin?
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2023, 08:01 PM   #231
Datvigi
Datvigi began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 13Max
Quote:
Because Marvin is no longer in the app store, you won't be able to restore your purchase. It's time to give up on Marvin.
I actually figured it out. You can try to restore the tips and while it fails, the app registers your previous purchase and the trial banner goes away. Marvin yet lives
Datvigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:17 AM   #232
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So far, I'm doing well with BookFusion. It's working. It respects the CSS. It's supported. It supports external fonts. So really, Marvin can give up the ghost as it's no longer needed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:50 AM   #233
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Keep wishing that Jon!

Marvin still works - I'll keep using it.

I'll also keep an eye out for other book reading apps for when Marvin actually can't be used any more... until then, Marvin is still the best!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #234
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Keep wishing that Jon!

Marvin still works - I'll keep using it.

I'll also keep an eye out for other book reading apps for when Marvin actually can't be used any more... until then, Marvin is still the best!
Actually, Marvin is not the best. It's good, but not great. For example, you cannot add in your own choice of fonts. The only way to get embedded fonts to display is to go to the setting that follows the CSS. There are a number of things that makes Marvin annoying.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:35 PM   #235
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It supports external fonts.
Still only via 3rd party apps and installing a profile?
Or as easy as in Marvin and MapleRead?

Edit: BookFusion is starting to do really well, but a few things are still missing for me to switch.

Last edited by Wiggo; 10-02-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:07 PM   #236
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Just letting you know this was addressed in our latest release that came out today.

So far I believe we have addressed all your feedback points mentioned in this thread. Apologies if I missed any.

You can let us know if you have any additional feedback at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=132
Sorry, I missed your post.

Slowly but surely BF is getting better, but there is still room for improvement

iPadOS 17.0.2
  • lookup in Text Selection Context Menu is still missing
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lookup.png
Views:	119
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	204061
  • no customisation of the order of the Text Selection Context Menu. No customisation of translation service.
  • Text Selection Context Menu is very short and the boxes are very narrow.
    Depending on the device you could extend it so scrolling is not needed anymore

Name:	kontext BF.png
Views:	51
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	204066 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kontext MR.png
Views:	48
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	204067
  • no option for auto-copy selected text
  • Installation of fonts only via 3rd party app
  • after selecting an app in share context menu and going back to BF the share pop-up is still there and blocking everything. It only disappears when you select an app from it again.

Name:	share.png
Views:	39
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	204062
  • Display error with these text-boxes. Left MR, middle Marvin, right BF

Name:	Kästchen MR.png
Views:	49
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	204063 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kästchen Marv.png
Views:	55
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	204065 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kästchen BF.png
Views:	47
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	204064

I hope this helps!

P.S.: Export of annotations is the best I have seen so far!

edit:
  • separate options for horizontal and vertical margins
  • button for jumping back and forth between reading positions.

Last edited by Wiggo; 10-03-2023 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:27 AM   #237
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Still only via 3rd party apps and installing a profile?
Or as easy as in Marvin and MapleRead?

Edit: BookFusion is starting to do really well, but a few things are still missing for me to switch.
If the other programs supports iFonts way of adding fonts, you'd only have to add the same fonts ONCE!

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-03-2023 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:58 AM   #238
Wiggo
Leftutti

So still 3rd party
Old 10-08-2023, 10:06 AM   #239
PNAW59
PNAW59 began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Imazing should do the job. I tried to install some really old archived apps but I got the "code signature is no longer supported". I don't dare to uninstall Marvin to try it out - it doesn't really make sense in the end too.

Regarding MapleRead. As already mentioned the really big issue for me are the custom fonts. Unlike Marvin MR refuses to use custom fonts quite often. I hate to get up and fire up the computer again.
Second is you get no images tab to scroll through all the pictures in a book. Quite comfortable for maps and fantasy.
Hi Wiggo, I got your reference from Turtle91 /Thanks @Turtle91)

Please see below short resume of my problem with. I have read your post, also I have looked at the video you suggested. Do you think the approach in the video might work also for my case?

Resume:

I have used on my iPad, for many years, the ebook reader Marvin. Marvin is recently retired from the App Store. So, now, when I click the Marvin icon, I get the message that the app is not accessible, I suppose due to that it's not in the App Store anymore. I have previously downloaded free epub books that I then included in the Marvin app. Now, what I need is a solution that enables me to access and recover my ebooks.

I can see the books in the Icloud backup, see attached, 22 GB

I can also the book content in the Ipads backup, see attached, 25 GB

However, when I enter the Marvin App via Imazing, the documento folder is empty. I suppose permission is not granted

But, the books are there, in the iphone backup and in the iPad

Are you able to suggest some way to get hold of the books?

Most grateful for any idea about how to achieve this.

Thanks, and best regards, Per
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marvin books in iCloud backup.png
Views:	38
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	204180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvin books in iPad.png
Views:	48
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	204181  
PNAW59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #240
Wiggo
Leftutti

@pnaw59:
The video was suggested by @Turtle91, not by me. I have not needed this yet and I only mentioned Imazing.

I don't quite understand what's going on either. Was Marvin offloaded from the system, or is this now a new iPad restored from a backup?

Anyhow. Marvin is not installed (cloud symbol). If you follow the video, you should be able to install it again - You have nothing to lose

Last edited by Wiggo; 10-08-2023 at 10:32 AM.