Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
Unhappy Kindle PW time acting up

Hello.

This is the second time I am confronting with this situation. My jailbroken Kindle PW wouldn't start when I opened the case, nor when pushing the wake button. I reset it by pushing the wake button for ~20 seconds, and it rebooted. The device time was messed up and I had to reset it. All good, except that now when I add new books they show up at the end of the list, instead at the beginning and when I open a book, it won't be moved as first, but rather keeps the original position in list (well cover view as well).

Last time I encountered this, I reset the Kindle to factory defaults which fixed this. But I would first want to hear from you, guys, if you have any suggestion that would allow me to fix it without having to reset the whole device.

Thank you for any idea you might share.
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may indeed have set the time, but you can't set the date. The only way to do that is to sync your Kindle with Amazon's servers. Turn on WiFi and do a "Sync and check for new items". That will set the clock correctly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Good point, Harry. The Kindle might think it's 1/1/80... or more likely, some date that was significant to someone at lab126. No matter when you finished reading a book, it's going to have a date stamp that is way earlier than the books that have valid date stamps.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
IIRC, It's April 1st, 2012 that it resets to. (no, not kidding)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, that worked. You are awesome.
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're very welcome.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I'm curious as to what would cause your PW to lose the date and time. I have had mine since last December and aside from the original registration I have never turned on wireless and syched to Amazon... Fluke? Battery? am I just lucky?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Rebooting it, as the OP stated. The Kindle doesn't have a battery-maintained clock like a PC does. When you reboot the device, the clock is initialised to a default state.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@HarryT-
Simple....thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... which BTW is a shame. I don't know which hardware part they left out in order to save 1/4 of a cent per device, but an e-reader not being able to keep its time across reboots is simply a disgrace.

SCNR

PS: Interestingly enough, software updates (like most installer in the dev section, and of course the official updates) seem to keep the date. Maybe it's "soft" vs "hard" reboot. (?)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
kindleBunny
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
PS: Interestingly enough, software updates (like most installer in the dev section, and of course the official updates) seem to keep the date. Maybe it's "soft" vs "hard" reboot. (?)
Exactly. The time is kept when doing any kind of update, but if it gets stuck and you need to hard reboot it, the time setting is lost.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... official updates...
BLAAHHHHH! And lose JBPatch? Not on my PW!!

Last edited by GoSharks; 08-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
OK... I'm a believer now. It sounds like such a stoopid design "feature" that there was still a little doubt in my mind. So tonight I did something that was also stoopid and locked up my PW to the point where I had to do a forced reboot. Guess what? When it came back, it didn't know what time (or day) it was.

I apologize to one and all for ever doubting you.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote