Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Author: Atwood
Show: Ineligible

Returns:
Atwood, Margaret Alias Grace NLBC Nov 2018 Jan 2024
Atwood, Margaret The Handmaid's Tale MRBC Dec 2016 Jan 2022
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #47
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Author: Atwood
Show: Ineligible

Returns:
Atwood, Margaret Alias Grace NLBC Nov 2018 Jan 2024
Atwood, Margaret The Handmaid's Tale MRBC Dec 2016 Jan 2022
Try putting in an author name that you know isn't there--Letts is the name I was checking initially because I wasn't sure when I'd previously nominated her book or if it had been fully nominated. After that, the unpopulated spreadsheet stays unpopulated, and the next searches (Atwood, Hemingway) of names I know are there return no results. I have "all" indicated for the search.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #48
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, works just fine here. I did Letts, which came up blank, then Atwood, and after a moment, it showed the two books it should show.

ETA: I would comment that "Date" sorting is a bit odd. Not wrong, just not what I'd expected. The sort is by the date the book becomes eligible for nomination to NLBC. Which isn't always the date it was most recently nominated or fully nominated.

Last edited by CRussel; 03-07-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #49
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
With Show=blank, I tried Letts (returns nothing) then Atwood (returns 2) then Hemingway (returns 1).

With Show=All, I tried Letts (returns nothing) then Atwood (returns 2) then Hemingway (returns 2).

So all worked as I expected, although sometimes takes a long time for the spreadsheet to finish loading properly (particularly under Firefox or IE).

Tried on Vivaldi (Chromium based), Firefox and Internet Explorer. I don't have a Mac on which to try with Safari.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #50
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have a Mac so just tried it. It worked exactly the same as for gmw, ie 0, 2, 1 with Show = Blank, and 0, 2, 2 with Show = All.

It sounds as if your system just doesn't like the list for some reason, Catlady.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #51
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using Firefox and it just won't work. Not that I've used it much--I generally forget to check--but previously I had no trouble with it. Now, it just doesn't work. It's the same thing every time--once I enter a term that has no results, nothing I enter after that yields results. And although most of the time the spreadsheet is populated when I first go to it, sometimes it's not.

Apparently the only way I can use it is to hope it's populated and then scroll through.

Clearly there is a conspiracy against me!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #52
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Well, at least you have a good excuse if you nominate a book that isn't out of quarantine yet!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #53
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
@Dazrin: Thanks for that spreadsheet! Awesome job. It makes it really easy to see what is eligible or not. Or even if one of the clubs has already discussed it, but it's now eligible again. Perfect.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It still doesn't work for me.
I really wish I had some better options. There are some troubleshooting steps that you could take (clear cache, disable extensions, etc.) but FF just doesn't play well with Sheets for some people, it's an ongoing issue.

If nothing else, the Complete List tab should always be populated and CTRL-F (CMD-F on Mac) should let you search using a standard search dialog. If that also doesn't work for some reason, the Data tab will definitely be populated (no formulas) and, as long as I remember to leave the rows unhidden, should be searchable, if not quite as pretty.

Quote:
ETA: I would comment that "Date" sorting is a bit odd. Not wrong, just not what I'd expected. The sort is by the date the book becomes eligible for nomination to NLBC. Which isn't always the date it was most recently nominated or fully nominated.
I've added a note about that. I can change it to sort by date selected/nominated if preferred though. Any strong preferences one way or the other?
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:57 AM   #54
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I've added a note about that. I can change it to sort by date selected/nominated if preferred though. Any strong preferences one way or the other?
This is fine as is, it actually makes sense. It just wasn't what I expected, so I was a bit surprised. Adding a note is a useful reminder, thanks.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #55
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I really wish I had some better options. There are some troubleshooting steps that you could take (clear cache, disable extensions, etc.) but FF just doesn't play well with Sheets for some people, it's an ongoing issue.

If nothing else, the Complete List tab should always be populated and CTRL-F (CMD-F on Mac) should let you search using a standard search dialog. If that also doesn't work for some reason, the Data tab will definitely be populated (no formulas) and, as long as I remember to leave the rows unhidden, should be searchable, if not quite as pretty.

Thanks. I'll just have to remember to scroll rather than use search; I don't want to bother fiddling with anything else.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would like to suggest that we make Overdrive links mandatory if the eBook being nominated is there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #57
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm not on OverDrive, and unless I've missed something, whether it is "there" depends on where "there" is. Which is largely why I've never bothered to sign up, very little of what I want is "there" here.

Currently "Additional information such as links to GoodReads, booksellers, or audio versions of the book; an indication of how long the book is; and current pricing is also welcome."

Note the "is also welcome", not "mandatory". And I think that is for the best.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm not on OverDrive, and unless I've missed something, whether it is "there" depends on where "there" is. Which is largely why I've never bothered to sign up, very little of what I want is "there" here.

Currently "Additional information such as links to GoodReads, booksellers, or audio versions of the book; an indication of how long the book is; and current pricing is also welcome."

Note the "is also welcome", not "mandatory". And I think that is for the best.
I'm not saying it's there for everyone. But it's nice to know it might be there. I also check Freading and Hoopla. But if we have n Overdrive link, that could help.

Is it OK if I ask for Overdrive links in the nomination thread?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #59
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would like to suggest that we make Overdrive links mandatory if the eBook being nominated is there.
Frankly, I think you make a lot of extra work for yourself with the list of links you include for your nominations.

When I check Overdrive, I do it through my own libraries, since that's the only access that actually matters to me.

I used to include links to the various countries' Amazon and Kobo stores, but gave it up as time-consuming and not always accurate for pricing anyway.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #60
CRussel
(he/him/his)

In a word, NO. No one is required to add ANY links in the nomination thread. That being said, we certainly encourage folks to do so, but of those people can add, the Overdrive ones are, IMHO, about the least useful. Too many differences between libraries, and we have many folks outside of the US for whom Overdrive is essentially useless. (OK, it sort of works in Canada, but no Amazon support, and very limited selection.)

Personally, I always check if my library has a book I'm nominating, or at least has the option of adding it. And I'll mention if Overdrive doesn't appear to be an option. But I don't bother with links to generic Overdrive. And I have zero availability of either Freading or Hoopla, so I can't even check those.