Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 02:27 AM   #1
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Problem with Calibre editor in Calibre v4.9

Hey,

I have a weird problem in the Calibre editor of Calibre v4.9.

I have been editing some books with Calibre 4.8 and the calibre editor yesterday and today. That worked fine.
I then upgraded to Calibre v4.9 and continued editing.
Now, when I run the editor and use "check book" I get this message:

Failed to process name_of_html file

However, when I look at this html file, I can not find any errors.

When I then re-run check, it sometimes gives this message for the same file and sometimes for other html files.
When I use epubcheck plugin, the book is fine and there are no errors. I can read the book, go to the html file that gives the error and it all works.

I then checked a book I did yesterday with Calibre v4.8. This book had no errors yesterday, not in check book, not in epubcheck. But with Calibre v4.9, when I run the check, it gives me the above error message.

I have now tried this on 5 different books and each book throws up this error, when running "check book" in the Calibre editor for v4.9. And here too the html files that get marked, change all the time when re-running "check book".

And when I use the sigil editor to look at these books, everything works fine.

I run Calibre on windows 10 v1909 with the latest updates applied.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this some bug?

Some help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Capricorn; 01-23-2020 at 02:32 AM.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:12 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
attach one of these problem ebook files to a bug report.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
Twanton2
Twanton2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have exactly the same problem, since updating. Contemplating downgrading.
Twanton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need an ebook file that shows the problem to be able to help.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I need an ebook file that shows the problem to be able to help.
Look the attached file.

______

About the CSS3 check, it seems not to recognize shorthanded properties, like this:

Code:
border-top: inherit solid 1px;
It gives me this error:
Code:
Expected end of value but found 'solid'.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Scrambled.epub (3.79 MB, 142 views)
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

I have attached one of the epubs that gives the error message as described in my original post.

When I run "check book" it gives file 001 and file 0049 as html file. When I do a rerun without closing the editor, it stays the same.
However, each time I close the editor, reopen it and run "check book" again, it points to different html files.

I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: epub scrambled.epub (814.5 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Capricorn; 01-23-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've found I can't search for text in the css file. Even replace all, when my cursor is in the css jumps to an html file.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I've found I can't search for text in the css file. Even replace all, when my cursor is in the css jumps to an html file.
Are you sure you selected 'Current file' or 'All style files'? The default option is 'All text files', which won't look in CSS files.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I wondered if I'd selected something wrong, that was it!

Thanks. I don't do much editing. These were PD epubs with fixed tight line height, left justified and font listed as Arial, Times Roman! So rather unreadable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

update to 4.9.1 and you should be fine.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
update to 4.9.1 and you should be fine.
Hi, Kovid.

This error still persists:

Quote:
About the CSS3 check, it seems not to recognize shorthanded properties, like this:

Code:
border-top: inherit solid 1px;
It gives me this error:
Code:
Expected end of value but found 'solid'.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:21 AM   #12
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites

I upgraded to 4.9.1 and the problem in my original post is now gone. I checked with five different books and it works fine.

I can now return to the usual madness of not understanding certain regexes, css, html, metadata...etc. So, everything is fine.

Thank you for solving the problem.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@thiago.eec: That is an issue with csslint the library calibre uses to do the check. Someday if I have time, I will look into it.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:20 AM   #14
Twanton2
Twanton2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twanton2 View Post
I have exactly the same problem, since updating. Contemplating downgrading.

I downgraded to 4.8, and everything worked again.
Now I've upgraded to 4.9.1 and all still works.

Twanton2 is offline   Reply With Quote