Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #196
Geremia
Zealot
Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.Geremia shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What OS do you see tiny fonts on? Works for me in linux. I also cannot reproduce it not exiting full screen. And it remembers those settings for me. Are you running the current beta version 3.99.4?
3.99.5 on Linux (Plasma KDE) for me. I don't have DPI / font size issues in ebook-edit; just in ebook-viewer's right-click pop-up menu.
(Also, ignore my fullscreen comments. I had force full screen set in KDE on my end. There's no fullscreen issue.)

I get this issue when running "ebook-viewer" and clicking on a "Recently viewed book":
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/ui.py", line 266, in load_finished
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/web_view.py", line 56, in set_book_path
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/serialize.py", line 118, in json_loads
  File "json/__init__.py", line 352, in loads
  File "json/decoder.py", line 364, in decode
TypeError: expected string or buffer
If I run "ebook-viewer mybook.epub", I don't get the issue.

Also, the "insert link" functionality in calibre's comment field overwrites selected text with the URL instead of hyperlinking selected text to said URL.

And what's the point of style="color: #2980b9" for URL text?

thanks

Last edited by Geremia; 09-18-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #197
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 4 & Mini 5
What are the minimum system requirements for MacOS? And am I correct for MacOS we use the .dmg link?
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #198
thiago.eec
Addict
thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, Kovid.

I'm still having trouble with cover images. Let me see if I got it right:

1. The book cover shown in the viewer is the IMAGE marked as cover on the OPF. Not the XHTML cover, right?
2. Calibre will show the cover as a full page image, keeping the aspect ratio. Is that also right?

Well, although that seems to be the general case, some books does not follow these rules. I have a bunch of books that display its cover aligned with the top of viewer, centered, but not filling the full height of the window.
If I start reducing the height of the window, when it 'touches' the image, then the the image will shrink as a full page image, i.e. keeping the aspect ratio while filling the whole window.

What is going on here?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 PM   #199
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@romad: You need macos 10.14 and yes the dmg is for macos

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-18-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #200
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@thiago: most likely those books dont have properly identified titlepage/cover, pm me one and i can confirm
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #201
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@nqk: Can you post the log from the conversion job? Click the rotating spinner in the bottom right corner to get the log.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #202
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 4 & Mini 5
Quote:
@romad: You need macos 10.14 and yes the dmg is for macos
Dang! My iMac can only go to High Sierra (10.13.6). Will there be any more updates for those of us who can't install Mojave or is 3.48 the last one?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #203
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Dang! My iMac can only go to High Sierra (10.13.6). Will there be any more updates for those of us who can't install Mojave or is 3.48 the last one?
No 3.48 will be the last one that runs on 10.13
Old 09-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #204
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Hi, Kovid.

I'm still having trouble with cover images. Let me see if I got it right:

1. The book cover shown in the viewer is the IMAGE marked as cover on the OPF. Not the XHTML cover, right?
2. Calibre will show the cover as a full page image, keeping the aspect ratio. Is that also right?

Well, although that seems to be the general case, some books does not follow these rules. I have a bunch of books that display its cover aligned with the top of viewer, centered, but not filling the full height of the window.
If I start reducing the height of the window, when it 'touches' the image, then the the image will shrink as a full page image, i.e. keeping the aspect ratio while filling the whole window.

What is going on here?
BOTH the image AND the page that call it need to be flagged 'cover'
Old 09-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #205
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
I get this issue when running "ebook-viewer" and clicking on a "Recently viewed book":
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/ui.py", line 266, in load_finished
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/web_view.py", line 56, in set_book_path
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/serialize.py", line 118, in json_loads
  File "json/__init__.py", line 352, in loads
  File "json/decoder.py", line 364, in decode
TypeError: expected string or buffer
If I run "ebook-viewer mybook.epub", I don't get the issue.
I cannot replicate this. Try clearing the cache (rm -rf ~/.cache/calibre/ev2) Also is anything printed to the terminal when it happens?

Quote:
Also, the "insert link" functionality in calibre's comment field overwrites selected text with the URL instead of hyperlinking selected text to said URL.
This is fixed in the next beta

Quote:
And what's the point of style="color: #2980b9" for URL text?

thanks
I dont see this.

Regarding the high DPI issue, you probably have disabled high dpi sclaing. Turn it on again and you will be fine.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:53 AM   #206
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Regarding the high DPI issue, you probably have disabled high dpi sclaing. Turn it on again and you will be fine.
Actually I changed it so the viewer uses pixels instead of pts for UI font size, which should hopefully work with or without hidpi turned on.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #207
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
A minor nit for me is when editing metadata, I have to enable the toolbar to be able to bold/italic/etc. a selected text block instead of using the right click menu. The toolbar does offer quite a few functions but for me, it's not as convenient.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:13 AM   #208
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Released new beta with the major feature that the macOS build has been notarized by Apple so it should work on the upcoming macOS Catalina.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #209
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A minor nit for me is when editing metadata, I have to enable the toolbar to be able to bold/italic/etc. a selected text block instead of using the right click menu. The toolbar does offer quite a few functions but for me, it's not as convenient.
Should certainly be possible to add those actions to the right click menu.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #210
thiago.eec
Addict
thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.thiago.eec knows who John Galt is.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Tooltips for PDF convertion

Hi, Kovid.

On the PDF conversion dialog, the tooltips for 'unit of measure' and 'size of paper' are showing unicode (u'a0', u'a1', etc), instead of plain text.
Closed Thread