Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question [Android] Calibre Companion List View+Grouping Drawer Dark Background on E-Ink Device

Hello:

I'm using Calibre Companion on a Boyue Likebook Mars (Android 6 E-Ink E-reader device)

Is there anyway that I could configure CC to see the List View and Grouping Drawer with black/dark background and white/light letters?

Awaiting your kind reply

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Hello:

I'm using Calibre Companion on a Boyue Likebook Mars (Android 6 E-Ink E-reader device)

Is there anyway that I could configure CC to see the List View and Grouping Drawer with black/dark background and white/light letters?

Awaiting your kind reply

[INCANUS]
You can try turning off "Attempt color correction for E-Ink" in Settings / Other, then check the "Night View" box in the drop down menu. That gives you light grey on black. I don't really like it on my Afterglow (e-ink) because the grey isn't light enough and it flashes white as I change the page, but perhaps your device will behave differently or you won't mind.

The "flashing white" problem is why I don't officially support night mode and e-ink color correction.

And off topic: thanks for the compliments in the other threads.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Incanus
Incanus

Exclamation [Android] Calibre Companion List View+Grouping Drawer Dark Background on E-Ink Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can try turning off "Attempt color correction for E-Ink" in Settings / Other, then check the "Night View" box in the drop down menu. That gives you light grey on black. I don't really like it on my Afterglow (e-ink) because the grey isn't light enough and it flashes white as I change the page, but perhaps your device will behave differently or you won't mind.
The text becomes invisible in my Likebook Mars in:
  • List View
  • Grouping Drawer
  • Details for an individual ebook
  • Main settings screen

The following text remain visible:
  • Main view menu options
  • Main view action bar options
  • Setttings suboptions/ submenus

So: "Night View" / Dark Mode is not an option on my Likebook Mars.

Would I like to have it? Obviously, I wouldn't be asking otherwise

Can live without it? Certainly.

Would I have bought the Likebook Mars without CC and the library management posibilities it made available? I think not.

Quote:
And off topic: thanks for the compliments in the other threads.
Nay, good sir, 'tis all fair, since your software made E-Ink Android devices a viable choice for me, having a rather large library (~12.000 titles) managed with Calibre:
  • Superb integration with Calibre and it's library, either on LAN, internet or cloud access
  • Bountiful search, grouping and filtering options
  • Excelent interface and response time, specially so for a extensive library such as mine and from the SDCard, no less

Much obliged,

[INCANUS]
Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@Incanus: did your device flash white screens as you changed from book list view to book details or when you opened settings? I hope not, because that means that the newer generation of e-ink devices work better.

I will look at what it takes to make night view and e-ink corrections work together. I do have an ulterior motive -- I would like to use it.

Do you have any comments on the Likebook Mars? I am looking to replace my Afterglow (very old and the USB connector is failing).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Incanus
Incanus

Post [Android] Calibre Companion List View+Grouping Drawer Dark Background on E-Ink Device

Quote:
@Incanus: did your device flash white screens as you changed from book list view to book details or when you opened settings?
No, in both cases it didn't.

Quote:
I hope not, because that means that the newer generation of e-ink devices work better.
That would appear to be the case. After all, we are talking about the top of the line android E-reader devices; they are not exactly cheap, mind you.

Quote:
I will look at what it takes to make night view and e-ink corrections work together. I do have an ulterior motive -- I would like to use it.
Your ulterior motive is my invested interest so, good for me: the author wants this feature too! Do please keep me/us posted

Quote:
Do you have any comments on the Likebook Mars? I am looking to replace my Afterglow (very old and the USB connector is failing).
  • Screen size / resolution: like reading from an actual book (7.8") instead of a pocket edition (6")
  • Reader native application: good and flexible enough for me but if you don't like it, you have your pick of many Android reading app alternatives
  • Library management: adequate for a small library (~1.000 or less ebooks) and poor for a large library (say, like mine) but that's why I got Calibre Companion first and the E-Ink device after
  • Battery life: even if you only have Calibre Companion installed, with the device on airplane mode (or: Wi-Fi off andf Bluetooth off) and using it only as an E-reader (as opposed to using it as an E-Ink multimedia Android tablet... which you may) battery will last for a week or so. Beyond that, there's a twisting tweaking path that I've barely began to thread (dare I say it, am I waxing poetic here?)

Hope this helps and, once again, thank you for such a good app.

Kudos,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-12-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Typo, link added
Advert

Tags
android, boyue likebook mars, calibre companion, likebook, mars