Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
Atom56
Atom56 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best ereader for writing?

Hi. I'm an engineering student looking for an e-ink device that can replace paper. I want to use it mainly for writing and doing math. After some research I'm about to buy the reMarkable tablet but I think that maybe the new Onyx Boox Note could serve my needs better and that it has more value for the money.

What I like about the reMarkable is that it supposedly has the best writing experience among the e-ink tablets, what I don't like is the talk about the unrefined software, the battery issues and the fast wearing of the pen nibs, since I will be writing many pages a day with it.

With respect to the Onyx, I like that the stylus nib doesn't wear off, that it also has pressure sensitivity and I'm really impressed by the tablet functionalities of the device, but what puts me down is that some people are reporting bugs and lag with the native notetaking app, since the writing experience comes first for me.

I was considering the Sony Digital Paper too but I think the reMarkable is just better for writing because of the more durable nibs and the fact that the pen has less lag and doesn't need charging.

So if anyone is using the Onyx Note for that purpose, how is your experience with it?
Atom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
People's experiences will vary, of course. In my experience, lag problems with the Note happen when you use a third party app, like OneNote. I find no lag at all with the native Note app. I haven't used it all that much - so take that into consideration as well - but I haven't run into any bugs in the Note app yet. We are told that the next firmware update should address some of the issues that some users are having.

From what I've seen in the Mobileread forums, the reMarkable specializes in the writing experience, so that is a consideration. The Note offers a few more tablet-like features which may be useful to you. Tough call! But I have no complaints about the Note app so far.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #3
Atom56
Atom56 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks. I think I will go for the reMarkable.
Atom56 is offline   Reply With Quote