Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Irishsea
Irishsea began at the beginning.

Device: None
Need to replace my h20 on the cheap

So it happened, my h20 was in a case in my backpack but a guy at work through his helmet and backpack on top of mine and my screen is dead. I need to replace it on the cheap with a used device and to be honest right now £40 is my max range. Too many bills and too little money at the moment.

My first thought was to order a replacement screen from aliexpress for around £32. But then there is the dreaded wait.

There is a nook touch on cex at the moment for cheap, I know nothing about them though how are they compared to kobo as far as software? I happen to be addicted to that stupid earning little award stickers.

There is a kindle paperwhite 1st gen at cex for £38, I hate everything kindle but could live with it if I am convinced it's good?

And last there is a kobo n905 for £20 and kobo n647 £15

I don't care about book format I can convert them. Back-light is only a small plus, big plus is downloading from say Dropbox. I know I'm not listing top of the line items, but really I don't need them I read happily on a dell axiom for years.
Irishsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Would you be ok with a smaller screen, if so, would you be interested in a Kobo Mini for a cheap price, just to keep you with something to read until such times as you can maybe pick up another H2O. I'd imagine any of your options are going to be pretty poor compared to it!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:16 AM   #3
Irishsea

Is the kobo mini really better than a 6" Kobo n905? Just asking as I have only owned 2 ereaders, a kindle wifi that I hated and the h20 that I picked up very cheap (£10) that I loved.

Can you put kobo software on a rooted nook touch?

Id really like 6" and up screen should have said that as my phones 5.2 inches and could just use that really lol.

But out out curiosity.. how cheap is cheap maybe the pros will win me over?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
There is a cheap wireless Kobo available at shopgoodwill for $10.00 USD. Not sure if they ship overseas though.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51288511
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I wouldn't advise going to a Kobo Mini from an H2O unless you had no other alternative. The screen is a lot smaller and the resolution a lot worse.

None of your options sound that appealing to me. I'd be inclined to read on your phone while monitoring eBay for older Kobos and possibly seeing if there's a clearance sale on the Kobo Aura once the new Kobo is released, especially if you can save a bit in the meantime. If you can be patient on eBay, something should turn up eventually.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Irishsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
There is a cheap wireless Kobo available at shopgoodwill for $10.00 USD. Not sure if they ship overseas though.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51288511
Unfortunately it doesn't look like they do, I could have my mom ship it over as she lives in Tennessee, But for the time and price I could get the screen ordered from China.

I have practically zero patience... its my downfall.. I know this.. When you say older Kobo which models are you referring to so I know which ones I should be looking out for?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Irishsea

I see the closing maplin near me has 1 kindle fire left for £35. But I wasn't a huge fan of the fire I had because of the weight holding it for long periods. Plus the apps got me distracted lol.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't think the Kobo Mini is any better than your other options, I think the screen quality is probably quite similar, but it is a smaller screen. The only thing it has going for it over the others you are looking at, is that as its a little newer, so should be a bit quicker, and the battery might last better. I do agree with issybird though, going from an H2O to the Mini isn't ideal, you'd really notice the difference in size of the screen. I'd give you it for £10, but its only a stop-gap, and I think the suggestion of reading on your phone while saving and waiting for something newer is a better option.

I wouldn't be looking at anything as old as the Kobo Touch, Nook ST, probably better looking to see if you can pick up the original Kobo Aura second hand, which you can probably do for £40-60. Oh and I would definitely ignore a cheap Kindle Fire, or any other tablet.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-16-2018 at 08:21 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Going from a H2O (6.8") to a Mini (5") is a huge loss in screen size. I'd go with the Kobo N905. I loved my Touch, and I would happily have kept it around as a backup if it weren't lost the same day I ordered my Aura HD....
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Irishsea

There is a nook touch on ebay for £10. But I'm really leaning towards the kobo touch even to have as a back up until I get the screen for my h20. Then use it for the motorcycle rides to work/backpack. Considering the h20 was in a case and a hard case and still was broken, I don't think I want to carry it anymore to work. While it may be slow, I do believe it can't be any slower than a dell axiom and I lived reading on that thing lol.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it was me, I'd be getting the guy who broke your H20 to replace it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Look on eBay for a Kobo Aura. There's a seller listing refurbished ones for $55 (about 39 pounds) with free shipping.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Irishsea

I tried to get him to replace it (he has a serious attitude problem) and he refuses. He has done this to someone else with their Nintendo Switch, management says nothing they can do as we bring our personals to work. There isn't enough space to secure our items so some of us just have to leave our bags about and sometimes no matter where we put them they fall victim.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
In that case, a safer bet would be to take a paper book with you to work. They usually are pretty resilient when punched or dropped.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote