Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Wow! I couldn't trust family that way. Once the Kindle is registered, it can purchase books drawn from your bank account.
The people in my family that I don't trust wouldn't be wanting to borrow a book or books from me. The ones who share my reading interests wouldn't even think about buying something on my account without asking. Even if they did, it wouldn't be a huge problem unless they bought a ton of books. Our 1-Click settings pull from our Visa card, no way I'd link directly to our bank account.

And, at least on the older e-ink Kindles, they could be deregistered from the account, but would keep the books on the device. I've seen posts that suggest that is no longer the case for the 2017 Oasis, but have not tested it to see.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you make a trivial address change on the Amazon account the credit card won't work without a confirmation dialogue at checkout.

I don't like merchants automatically able to do that. I don't link my Paypal to eBay and I don't save my Paypal password in my password manager. I have to log into paypal each time. Far better.

Amazon's so called "1-Click" is a nonsense in Ireland for anything other than Kindle eBook as you often don't even know if something ships till at checkout.

I think you can set a limit on in App /Kindle eReader ebook purchases? Or you used to. Will the Parental controls not block purchase?

I always buy an Amazon eBook via web page and "transfer via PC" option BEFORE clicking add to basket. "The Cloud" by any vendor is not trustworthy. I do my own backups.

Deregistering deletes collections and disables creation of collections. On earlier devices you can make collections from Calibre. The messages about sync are very annoying when using collections off line or adding USB transferred books (I don't like the term "sideloaded", I've been transfering via USB ever since gadgets ever had USB based mass storage mode).
Later devices are much more crippled when unregistered. It's dishonest for something you bought. Yes, there are both DRM and Copyright issues. You should delete all copyright material on ANY gadget/laptop/HDD/Memory stick/SD card you sell or give away. It shouldn't affect Collections.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote