Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #46
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Have you tried forcing a screen refresh? Tribble suggested clicking on the page number to do this. When I use a USB keyboard, I still hit return on the on-screen keyboard to force a refresh.

The iliad_refresh.conf file controls automatic screen refreshes, Antartica has a good explaination of this file. However, I think the on-screen keyboard might be buffering some requests because automatic updates don't seem reliable in mrxvt.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #47
Flow
Flow began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Ah, thanks. Just got my iLiad and I love it!
Is it possible to use a bluetooth keyboard with the iLiad?
I'm thinking of the Dinovo Mini.

I took a quick look at the filesystem and couldn't find the xorg.conf. Or the X11 folder for that matter. Does the iLiad use the framebuffer?
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #48
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A USB Bluetooth dongle might be made to work, see Bluetooth connection.... However, it may be simpler to get a standard USB keyboard or a "wireless" keyboard with (driverless?) USB dongle.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #49
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Ah, thanks. Just got my iLiad and I love it!
Is it possible to use a bluetooth keyboard with the iLiad?
I'm thinking of the Dinovo Mini.

I took a quick look at the filesystem and couldn't find the xorg.conf. Or the X11 folder for that matter. Does the iLiad use the framebuffer?
Instead of the full fledged Xorg server, the iliad uses the kdrive/tinyx server, that is, Xfbdev. Xfbdev doesn't use a configuration file, but command line arguments. AFAIK there are no keyboard options, see:

http://www.x-oz.com/TinyX.1.html

Last edited by Antartica; 06-03-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: sp.; more info
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #50
bobj
Enthusiast
bobj is on a distinguished road

Missing libX11.so.6

iliad_refresh.conf doesn't seem to work in any of the versions which "support" it. (mrxvt_iliad_0.3.zip and mrxvt_iliad_0.4.zip)

I kept experiencing delayed screen refreshes: the screen was usually one step behind. When I pressed a key, the screen would display the prior, but not current, keypress.

I fixed it by linking to Antartica's hacked libX11.so.6, which is what provides iliad_refresh.conf. I've attached below what's currently the most widely distributed version of Antartica's hack.

If mrxvt is the first application you've installed, then you'll probably want to download and copy it to /path/to/mrxvt/lib.

Note: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2.1 is the (unhacked) iRex version. You don't want to overwrite this file, or its symbolic link /usr/lib/libX11.so.6.
iRex: -- size: 948556, md5sum: 8f988f4326487826d73abae202672b35
Antartica -- size: 989488, md5sum: 05b04c59a886cc3722f064b740b538ee
There are also several other versions of Antartica's hack having various sizes.

Optional:
If other applications are installed, there's a good chance you already have the hacked libX11.so.6 already. If you want to avoid duplication of libraries, just edit mrxvt/run.sh and change
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$scriptdir/lib
to
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$scriptdir/lib:/usr/local/private/lib

If the experts could confirm all this, I'd be happy to upload mrxvt_iliad_0.5.zip containing Antartica's hack.
Attached Files
File Type: zip libX11.so.6-Antartica.zip (508.9 KB, 426 views)
bobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #51
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj View Post
If the experts could confirm all this, I'd be happy to upload mrxvt_iliad_0.5.zip containing Antartica's hack.
Confirmed. I had installed the 0.4 version and it doesn't have the hacked libX11 included despite having a config file for it, so it would not do any automatic refreshes.

And now that you're at it, modify the iliad_refresh.conf config file so it says

Typing 250

instead of the "Typing 100" that the current version has (to be in the safe side, as I suppose that the stealth refresh takes a lot more than 100ms to be finished and we can be enqueuing double or triple refreshes without noticing it... and that could tax unnecessarily the CPU).

So, please, post the new version
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #52
bobj
Enthusiast

Thanks! I'm going to add some fancy new functionality. Hopefully I'll be finished later tonight.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 AM   #53
bobj
Enthusiast

Introducing xshell

Here is the updated mrxvt package, plus some extras.

I wrote scripts, which I call xshell. Basically they let you launch a terminal window for any text-based application directly from the contentLister. To demonstrate, I'm simultaneously releasing the elinks text-based browser.

These are my first shell scripts, so hopefully they aren't too buggy. I added an extra digit to the version in anticipation of releasing some patches.

I hope xshell will lead to more interactivity using text-based applications, utilities like ifconfig, installers, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xshell1.png
Views:	611
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	13571   Click image for larger version

Name:	xshell2.png
Views:	1033
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	13572  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xshell.pdf (166.5 KB, 888 views)
File Type: zip mrxvt_iliad_xshell_0.5.0.zip (1.15 MB, 3245 views)

Last edited by bobj; 06-16-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #54
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Very nice piece of work. And very, very good documentation. Awesome!
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #55
wallcraft
reader

I can't get xshell to work. I unzipped it on a Windows XP Desktop and then copied the directory xshell-050-install to iLiad's internal memory (I also tried my CF card) via USB. When I click on any of the menu items there is an almost immediate return with no changes to the contentlister display.

Usually, files are in UNIX format but these seem to be Windows files. All I did was unzip mrxvt_iliad_xshell_0.5.0.zip, and I tried using both JustZIPit and WinRAR with the same result. This is the way I have installed several other applications. Do the contents of mrxvt_iliad_xshell_0.5.0.zip have the right line terminators?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #56
bobj
Enthusiast

Wow, I'm sorry, you're right. I don't know how that happened. One moment...
Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #57
bobj
Enthusiast

Okay, I repaired it. Looks like my SFTP program did a little involuntary conversion without my knowledge. Please download from the same link above.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #58
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj View Post
Okay, I repaired it. Looks like my SFTP program did a little involuntary conversion without my knowledge. Please download from the same link above.
It works now. I have edited post #37 (v0.4) to indicate that it is replaced by this version.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #59
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
Dear Bobj and Wallcraft,

thank you very much for all your work. I have a few "white collar" questions. Please excuse my ignorance in advance as i am not really very knowledge able in applications development....I have read the documentation on the xshell, but i have to admit that I am still a little confused as it seems primarily directed to software developers.
1. I do not want to install xshell on my internal memory (do not want to take a chance to brick my iliad, even if iva an unbreakable one...), I have installed it on my CF and I am wondering what I might be missing doing that?
2. with the previous mrxvt software we did not have to install anything, do we have to install the Xshell software before using the software??? what is the instalation really for?? and can I just install on the CF and not the internal memory?? all my other software are installed on the CF?
3. What steps should I take (installation, launching...) before installing the elinks text-based web browser that I want to use so much....

Thank you in advance for your help and my apologies for such long email.

Dabon.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #60
wallcraft
reader

Did you try selecting "Run standalone" (Run without the need for installation) from the menu? This should start up mrxvt without installing it.