Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #16
gpom
gpom began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
It is a cable problem and we solved it

Thank you for all the posts, they helped us problem solve. We used a cable from an older kobo model and it worked right away. This means it's a cable problem, the kobo Aura waterproof model's cable does not work with MacBook Pro OS 10, but an older kobo model's cable did! If you don't have an older cable, perhaps try other solutions on the hardware/cable side, this is where the issue seems to be.
gpom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #17
s.r.d
s.r.d began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Alternate Solution

Hi folks,

I just got my kobo aura H2O today and was struggling so hard with the same problem. For me, the whole purpose of connecting to the computer is so that I can save PDFs to my kobo. I spent so much time working with customer service from Kobo/Rakuten on this, and suffice to say, they were pretty useless, although the guy really did seem to try.

No matter what I did to troubleshoot nothing worked. That included:

- Trying 5 different usb cables to connect the kobo to my computer (that includes the one that came with the device)
- factory resetting the kobo
- resetting my computer
- installing kobo desktop (this was the most frustrating because even trying to follow the step in this program to connect my kobo to the computer kept making the program freeze
- swearing at my kobo and computer
- trying a more gentle approach and using positive reinforcement with my kobo and computer

Still, nothing worked out. I emailed kobo and told them about this, expressed my disappointment, and they provided a ticket and told me I can refund/exchange the device. That still was shitty because I was so pumped that I had a kobo and then immediately sad that it wasn't working the way I wanted to.

Suddenly it dawned on me that phones are basically hand held computers! I managed to find my OTG USB that came with my phone (years ago!), and then connected my kobo to my smartphone. I was then able to open up the pdfs (I already had them saved on Evernote, but you can easily just save pdfs to your phone then transfer to your kobo. It's an added step, but at least it helps.)

And BOOM, I manged to get the pdfs to my kobo!!!

tl;dr:

Get a OTG USB for your phone, connect kobo to it, and move files to your kobo.

Some other information that might be worth knowing:

I have a Microsoft Book Pro, with a 64-bit OS
My phone is a samsung galaxy s7 edge

Hope this helps!

- Steph

Last edited by s.r.d; 01-05-2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: grammar
s.r.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanvt04 View Post
how to screenshot on kobo glo
someone please help me !!!
Connect your Kobo ereader to your computer. Look in the .kobo directory (if you are using a Mac or Linux box, you'll have to enable viewing hidden files/folders) for the the Kobo directory. Inside the Kobo directory, look for the Kobo eReader.conf file. Open that file with a text editor that respects Linux style end of lines (under Windows, I use Notepad++). Look for a line containing [FeatureSettings] -- if you don't see that line, paste the two lines below into the file, otherwise just paste the Screenshots=true line.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
To take a screenshot press the power button. This works much better if you have a sleep cover. Once you have your screenshots, edit the =true to =false.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #19
Snodgrass
Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, nook
This is going to sound a bit odd, but it may give somebody a clue how to fix the problem. None of my three Macs would talk to my Kobo Glo, so I took to using the wireless connection. It's very slow and laborious, but it got my by for a while.

A few days ago I installed something called 'Mamp'; it's free, and it's for local development of a web site. Today I fired up Calibre (or calibre) while I had the Kobo plugged in to charge. The toolbar changed, and showed an icon of the Kobo. Connected!

But. I sent a couple of books to the reader and got a popup box that said 'calibre, version 3.40.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 149.
Device firmware version: (4, 13, 12638)'

So the books are there, but the shelf information I'd added in Calibre isn't.

Dare I downgrade the firmware on the Kobo?

But I hope the Mamp thing can give somebody else a clue about a proper solution.

Happy reading,

Ol.
Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolong View Post
I just wanted to say thanks, this worked! Bizarre that this would make a difference - not sure I'd ever have tried if I hadn't found this while searching for solutions to this same problem. Cheers!
the front usb 2.0- ports on my dell inspiron 3847 are under-powered. I cannot use usb powered drives with them as I get data errors. The rear ports are fine. Those front ports are fine with older USB drives that have their own power supply brick...

on another machine, I have also experienced the phenomenon that a kobo (aura HD) is always recognised when connected via an (unpowered) USB hub, but is iffy with direct connect.

finally the device port itself can become problematic. My wife keeps handing back USB cables to me saying "this one does not work any more" ( but they test fine for me). It seems that the usb port on her Samsung S7 phone, is used every day for charging, does not grip tight onto all cables now.... so after 18 months , it is worn out? maybe time for a new phone soon as cost of a repair shop for a simple replacement socket is probably > current value of phone, and I can't do precision soldering or tricky dismantling
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snodgrass View Post
If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting ,"Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 149.
Device firmware version: (4, 13, 12638)
There is no need to downgrade the Kobo f/,w. Just do as the message says and select the option "Attempt to support newer firmware".

If there is ever a time that this option is not appropriate it will be posted here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #22
Lancaster
Lancaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Smile

This problem was driving me nuts with my Kobo Aura, a MacBook Pro, and Calibre. I learned a couple of years ago that not all cables will work for data and I was using a Kobo cable (actually labeled Kobo) but the connection was always hit or miss. Sometimes a MacBook reboot or a Kobo reboot would work and sometimes not. Today nothing worked and in desperation I tried using an OTG cable I had for my Samsung phone and Calibre instantly connected with the Kobo. How long this will last I do not know but it is the only solution that has worked for me, at least for today.
Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
Ljuba
Ljuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo as a standalone device, Kindle on my samsung tabletApp
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know if that is the case for the WiFi, but it is not needed for any of the newer Kobo devices. I never turn the WiFi off for any of my devices and have no problems connecting to the PC.
Turning off WiFi on a brand new Kobo solved the issue of connecting to my computer. So it's definitely worth trying.

Cheers,
Ljuba
Ljuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #24
beddows1
beddows1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aqua
My laptop wont recognize it, but will recognize my wifes identical model. Another laptop does recognize it. Go figure
beddows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #25
jesstamau
jesstamau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo N647 Not Recognised by Computer & Can't Logon onto Online Store

Good Morning All,

I bought a Kobo N647 2nd hand yesterday but I'm unable to get it recognised by my computer when connected with the USB cable. I've tried using different USB cables and also gone into deleting the drivers by using Windows button + R under devmgm.msc I also tried using different computers but still unable to get it connected to the computer. The device keeps saying that it's charging.

Also I bought a SD card to expand its memory but the device was unable to read the SD card. I tried using WiFi to log onto the online store but the device gives an error message saying there was a network problem.

I know this is an old device and it's no longer supported by the manufacturer but this device I bought yesterday is in new condition. I would very much like to resurrect it as I hate E-waste. I would go and buy a new one if I have to but I just want to see whether anybody has any solutions on this forum before I go ahead to do so.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance & I look forward to anyone who has a solution to assist.

Jess
jesstamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesstamau View Post
Good Morning All,

I bought a Kobo N647 2nd hand yesterday but I'm unable to get it recognised by my computer when connected with the USB cable. I've tried using different USB cables and also gone into deleting the drivers by using Windows button + R under devmgm.msc I also tried using different computers but still unable to get it connected to the computer. The device keeps saying that it's charging.

Also I bought a SD card to expand its memory but the device was unable to read the SD card. I tried using WiFi to log onto the online store but the device gives an error message saying there was a network problem.

I know this is an old device and it's no longer supported by the manufacturer but this device I bought yesterday is in new condition. I would very much like to resurrect it as I hate E-waste. I would go and buy a new one if I have to but I just want to see whether anybody has any solutions on this forum before I go ahead to do so.
All that probably means that the USB port on the device is damaged in a such a way that the power connects but the data lines aren't. There is a chance that it is a software problem on the device. If that is the case, then doing a factory reset might fix it, or restoring an image to the internal SD card could. I probably woudn't jump into doing the factory reset as if it doesn't fix the connection to the PC problem, you won't be able to do the setup and use it at all. You could take an image of the internal card first and then try the factory reset.

As to the external SD card not being recognised, what size did you try? These were built at a time when a 2GB micro SD card was big. They should work with a 4GB or 8GB card, but, I wouldn't be sure about a 16GB card. And larger cards are very unlikely to work. The card also needs to be formatted as FAT32.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:34 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also I expect that Wi-Fi access to the store will be affected by the demise of one of the security protocols
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #28
hazel7797
hazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura abouthazel7797 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS 350, Kobo Mini 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggleBeans View Post
Hello everyone, I know it has been a long time since anyone posted to this thread but I suffered from the same problem and tried everything in this thread without result (probably because I use a laptop).

I read that in some cases it is indeed the difference between voltages of the USB ports but if you have a laptop the voltages are almost always the same on all ports which is why it makes sense that only an external USB hub would work.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you too!
Thank you!!!! I too, was using a laptop and the problem was driving me insane! I tried EVERYTHING, to no avail. In desperation I searched the internet and then found this thread, as a last ditch attempt (before I ditched the reader), I found your solution here. I plugged in a hub, connected my Kobo to that and voila!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
hazel7797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #29
tgp7
tgp7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Smile Old cable worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
This problem was driving me nuts with my Kobo Aura, a MacBook Pro, and Calibre. I learned a couple of years ago that not all cables will work for data and I was using a Kobo cable (actually labeled Kobo) but the connection was always hit or miss. Sometimes a MacBook reboot or a Kobo reboot would work and sometimes not. Today nothing worked and in desperation I tried using an OTG cable I had for my Samsung phone and Calibre instantly connected with the Kobo. How long this will last I do not know but it is the only solution that has worked for me, at least for today.
This was super advice. I was getting so frustrated I was going to send it back and use an Oasis, despite wanting the larger screen. I don't know I ever would have guessed to try this. Thank you.
tgp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:57 PM   #30
marst
Connoisseur
marst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma; Android tablet w/Mantano Reader
I have also struggled with this problem with a Kobo Forma for months. I have thought it must be a cable problem, but then a cable that worked on occasion 'x' did not work on occasion 'y' (computer is a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 pro).

Or, I'd get what appeared to be a solid connection, followed immediately by an error message about "a USB device" (never specified) having failed to connect the last time. Worthless error message.

Then I decided: ok, what if I leave the silly thing connected and then reboot? As it happens this almost always works—the "device failing to connect" error message does not appear following the reboot. I'll hope this continues to work. Then again, the Kobo has become so troublesome in other ways that getting the Kobo-to-computer connection has begun to pale compared with other problems...
marst is offline   Reply With Quote