Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The Amazing Disappearing Shelves

My question to B&N Customer Service:

I side load books and manually add them to shelves on the device. When I later side load more books, all the side loaded books are dropped from the shelves. If a shelf contained only side loaded books, then the shelf also disappears.

How can I prevent this from happening?

I'll let you know if I get a response.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
PatS12
PatS12 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Thank you! I'm also getting very annoyed by this "glitch"
PatS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
My question to B&N Customer Service:

I side load books and manually add them to shelves on the device. When I later side load more books, all the side loaded books are dropped from the shelves. If a shelf contained only side loaded books, then the shelf also disappears.

How can I prevent this from happening?

I'll let you know if I get a response.
If you check back later, the shelves don't reappear?

This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm asking because I noticed when I eject my GL3, it seems to rebuild the library. Maybe it's rebuilding the shelves too? (I haven't created custom shelves, so I'm just speculating here.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you check back later, the shelves don't reappear?
No.

Any shelf with even one B&N book on it remains, although all the side-loaded books are dropped from the shelf. (The books are still on the NOOK and can be re-added to the shelf.)

Any shelf that held only side-loaded books disappears completely.

Currently in the second circle of customer service hell. They suggest that the books have to be in a "My Files" folder. I will try that, but it sounds like they're just emailing lines copied from the User Guide back at me.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Okay boys and girls, I think I've figured this out.

To add side-loaded epubs to the Glowlight 3, you have two options:

If you save them in a folder called "BOOKS" within the NOOK folder (on the NOOK drive), then the reader will see them as "Books" but they will fall off the shelves when you eject the NOOK from your PC.

If you save them in a folder called "My Files" within the NOOK folder (on the NOOK drive), then the reader will see them as "All My Items" but they will stay on the shelves when the NOOK is ejected. And of course they can be read as usual, despite the fact that the NOOK classifies them as "Items."

It would be great if someone could try this and verify that it works.
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay boys and girls, I think I've figured this out.

If you save them in a folder called "BOOKS" within the NOOK folder (on the NOOK drive), then the reader will see them as "Books" but they will fall off the shelves when you eject the NOOK from your PC.

If you save them in a folder called "My Files" within the NOOK folder (on the NOOK drive), then the reader will see them as "All My Items" but they will stay on the shelves when the NOOK is ejected. And of course they can be read as usual, despite the fact that the NOOK classifies them as "Items."

It would be great if someone could try this and verify that it works.
I can try tonight. I use Calibre for all my sideloading and I guess it ads the books to the My Files folder, because I do sort the library to All My Items.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

I get the feeling that the Nook software developers are making a simple process overly complicated. I suspect that the different folders (Books and My Items) stem from the previously partitioned memory.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Thanks! It seems like the device looks for that "My Files" folder, and when it doesn't see it, it assumes those books are gone and dumps the shelves.

Similarly, previous NOOKs look for a "cover.jpg" file to copy as a thumbnail, and would only give the title-in-a-box if the cover image had any other name.

Very particular beastie, the NOOK.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Okay, scratch that theory. Just added some more books in the new folder set up - and lost all the shelves. Still suspect a problem ejecting.

This is more than a little frustrating.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
nellie27
Enthusiast
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
I had some success in connecting the NG3 to calibre, adding books, ejecting device via calibre, then ejecting via the icon in the taskbar-a very important step (you will be forced to delete all sideloaded content if you forget! and possibly reboot your nook!). I did not add books via a file manager.

I had created 2 (small)shelves, one with just sideloaded content, and another with sideloaded and BN content. Both shelves survived intact through this procedure.

There is room for more experimentation with this problem.

Last edited by nellie27; 01-22-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added more info
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie27 View Post
I had some success in connecting the NG3 to calibre, adding books, ejecting device via calibre, then ejecting via the icon in the taskbar-a very important step (you will be forced to delete all sideloaded content if you forget! and possibly reboot your nook!).
If you are already using Calibre to connect to the Glowlight and are using it to add books, why not let it eject the Nook as well? That's what I do and I have never had an issue with a failed eject.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
nellie27
Enthusiast
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you are already using Calibre to connect to the Glowlight and are using it to add books, why not let it eject the Nook as well? That's what I do and I have never had an issue with a failed eject.
Actually I did that. The first time it worked fine. The second time it forced me to delete all sideloaded content. Then it wouldn't connect to the computer or to calibre until I rebooted the nook.

Really, I'm not inclined to do that again. I'll use the extra step.

Last edited by nellie27; 01-22-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: correction
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie27 View Post
Actually I did that. The first time it worked fine. The second time it forced me to delete all sideloaded content. Then it wouldn't connect to the computer or to calibre until I rebooted the nook.

Really, I'm not inclined to do that again. I'll use the extra step.
Maybe I've just been lucky. But hey, I'll take it
Old 01-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #14
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

I can't point to any factor that causes the side-loaded material to be corrupted, other than that it happens after ejecting the NOOK from a computer.

I haven't succeeded in explaining the issue to B&N customer service.

One observation: after ejecting the NOOK, the thumbnails of the side-loaded books (both the newly added books AND those previously added) appear in the "New & Recent in My Library" area (top half of the home screen). They ALL seem to appear, flashing by in batches (which can take a few minutes, if you've added a lot of epubs). I suspect that the NOOK (for some reason) is recognizing all the side-loaded books as if they were brand new, which would explain why they don't show up on the previously created shelves.

It might be that interrupting this process messes up the NOOK's memory. Even when the PC tells me that it has safely ejected the NOOK, I try to wait a while before unplugging it. Personally, I wait for the NOOK to go back to its screen saver before unplugging or using it.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I can't point to any factor that causes the side-loaded material to be corrupted, other than that it happens after ejecting the NOOK from a computer.

I haven't succeeded in explaining the issue to B&N customer service.

One observation: after ejecting the NOOK, the thumbnails of the side-loaded books (both the newly added books AND those previously added) appear in the "New & Recent in My Library" area (top half of the home screen). They ALL seem to appear, flashing by in batches (which can take a few minutes, if you've added a lot of epubs). I suspect that the NOOK (for some reason) is recognizing all the side-loaded books as if they were brand new, which would explain why they don't show up on the previously created shelves.

It might be that interrupting this process messes up the NOOK's memory. Even when the PC tells me that it has safely ejected the NOOK, I try to wait a while before unplugging it. Personally, I wait for the NOOK to go back to its screen saver before unplugging or using it.
I've seen the same, with all books seeming to flash into the New & Recent in My Library.

If we take your guesswork and couple it with the fact that B&N obviously don't see sideloading as a main function (hence the partitioned memory), it begins to look like that's the problem.