Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
hide the footnote / endnote text shown in note preview

Hi,

I was desperately working an alternative for the "hover" feature of regular browsers, when I stumbled on Liz Castro's blog on footnotes for epub3 and the link to a working example (see here-attached a smaller and corrected example for testing).

It works great on my Kobo Glo (only for the kepub.epub file): the footnote call opens a preview message box for the footnote when it is taped-on.

This is a preview, and the text also appears at the end of the "chapter" as a normal endnote would.

As I wish to edit a bilingual text with quite a lot of notes, I wanted to hide the text at the end of the chapter and only keep the preview version visible.

I am going to do more testing, but if someone has already tried something like this any hint would be much appreciated.

François
(kepub.epub and epub are exactly the same, only the name changes: the kepub.epub naming activates the adobe engine which works usually better than the regular viewer on Kobo)
Attached Files
File Type: epub test_footnote.kepub.epub (2.4 KB, 190 views)
File Type: epub test_footnote.epub (2.4 KB, 187 views)
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

As a following of my testing here are some experiments with different styles for text masking (visibility and display).

I think I shouldn't have started a thread with the "glo" prefix. I might start another thread for testing this on a larger scale. (sorry about this messy approach)

François
Attached Files
File Type: epub test_footnote_hidden.kepub.epub (2.9 KB, 209 views)
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
[QUOTE=fxp33;2503844
I think I shouldn't have started a thread with the "glo" prefix. I might start another thread for testing this on a larger scale. (sorry about this messy approach)

François[/QUOTE]
Hit the "!" next to the karma button on your first post and ask an op to remove the prepend. It's better than having two threads for the same issue.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
fxp33
Addict

epub:type endnote, footnote, annotation

Thank you Taming for the tip... (I really need to read extensively the manual!)

But after three hours of playing around with footnotes, I think I'll keep this thread open for geeks who want to play with the epub:type attribute. I give a very different approach, more playfull, in another thread.

Has anyone one seen the difference between these values of the epub:type attribute?
  • annotation
  • footnote
  • rearnote
  • endnote

Source: http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/gu.../epub-type.php

Thanks for any help

François