Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
planewryter
planewryter began at the beginning.

Device: None
Dashed Dashes -- Befuddled by EN and EM Dashes (Apple Pages to EPUB)

Calibre Mavens,

Can you help?

While I've found several posts regarding problems with dashes in Calibre, they seem to be MS-Word based.

Which explains this post...it's focused on Apple's Pages '09 4.1 (923).

After editing a manuscript in Pages, I exported it as an EPUB. In the iBook Reader on my iPad, the EPUB renders just fine.

Using Calibre 0.8.61, I converted the EPUB to MOBI. In the Kindle reader on my iPad...the MOBI file almost worked.

Two problems:

1. Immediately after (yet, curiously, not for all) EN or EM dash instances, the Kindle reader jumps to a new line.

2. While the PAGES file and EPUB file are rendered as left-justified, the MOBI file appears to be full-justification...and looks awful.

Your suggestions to remedy either/both of these problems are invited & welcomed; thank you.
planewryter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I have no idea about this problem, but you might want to try AZW3 vice mobi as the output and see if it is better.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
em dash, en dash, justification