Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #16
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
As others I don't really plan my reading much.

I have planned on finishing all my currently active series this year. Which are:
* Guido Brunetti
* Nic Costa
* Armand Gamache
* The Void Trilogy
* Lockwood & Co
* The Mayfair Witches
* Mortal Engines

I also hope to start rereading The Millennium series and read the ones not written by Stieg Larsson. I also still need to read the latest books of the Mary Russell series and the Cormoran Strikes series.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My reading this year is mostly planned around completing some series.

Diskworld - Terry Pratchett
Bill Slider series - Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
Murder She Wrote - Donald Bain & others
Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries - Sue Grafton
Vorkosigan Saga - Lois McMaster Bujold
Shannara series - Terry Brooks
Lorimer and Brightman - Alex Grey
Moreland Dynasty - also Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Originally purchased for my Mom, I have yet to start (yes, all 35 books!)

Oh, there are others, but I either have or can easily get all the books in these series. I'll be starting off the year with Diskworld (I think I was up to book 25 or 26).

Last edited by Tarana; 12-24-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I have to ask: Why have you never read the best book of the Harry Potter series? (Okay, so I should have put that less subjectively , but you know what I mean.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have a friend who will almost never read the last book of a series she loves. She likes to know that she's still got a book in it to read.
^^ That's probably part of it. I think it's also partly because last time, I read the first 6 straight through, got a bit of genre fatigue, and needed to read something else for a bit, then I never managed to get back to the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Curious. It's not something I've ever really considered. If I like something enough I'll just turn around and re-read it sooner rather than later (on a few rare occasions, the very next day).
I rarely re-read, and if I do, it has to be years later. If I haven't forgotten most of the small details, I end up getting an uncomfortable deja-vu-like feeling as my mind starts pulling in details ahead of where I am on the page. I initially read the series right after The Half-Blood Prince was released, and I didn't revisit it until 9 years later, in 2014. So it will be just under 5 years this time. Depending on how the first book feels when I start it this time around, I may end up putting it off for another year or two.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My first purchase of 2019 will be Through Fiery Trials by David Weber. The 10th book in the Safehold Series will be released January 8, 2019.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/w/d...ery-trials.htm
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

I rarely re-read, and if I do, it has to be years later.
Most of my recreational reading this year has been re-reading, of books I read in my teens and early twenties. It's been quite educational to return to Margery Allingham, Ngaio Marsh, Sue Grafton, Ann McCaffrey and Dick Francis and see how they've held up in the intervening 30 years. Asimov's Robots and Foundation series is/are on my re-read list for 2019, and more Wodehouse, especially Blandings.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I rarely re-read, and if I do, it has to be years later. If I haven't forgotten most of the small details, I end up getting an uncomfortable deja-vu-like feeling as my mind starts pulling in details ahead of where I am on the page.
This describes me, too. Rereading rarely interests me. I make exceptions for book club books and sometimes for audiobooks, where I'll listen to something I've already read especially when it's an audiobook for swimming or going to sleep. The performance aspect makes it fresh, but the familiarity means it doesn't matter if I zone out.

On the other hand, I admit that books I last read decades ago, in particular where they were over my head at the time, can be a revelation when I reread them now.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never understood people who poo poo rereading books, but will watch the same movie over and over again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have never understood people who poo poo rereading books, but will watch the same movie over and over again.
Apache
I agree that it is so odd. My Mom will rewatch series on Netflix, but the only books I can recall that she reread was "The Australians". I reread occasionally. Last year it was the Sookie Stackhouse series. This year will likely be the Pern series. Of course, I'm rereading Shannara series in advance of the series end in 2020, but there are ones I didn't read in the first place, so some fresh stuff too.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I rarely do either these days. Of course, I don't poo-poo either activity. I just enjoy new experiences more than reruns (even the best reruns).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #25
fum
Zealot
fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I also hope to start rereading The Millennium series and read the ones not written by Stieg Larsson...........
If you really like the ones written by Stieg, as I do, i can not recommend the ones not by him. Not that they are not good, they're just regular thrillers, in my opinion. I do wish I never knew them.
fum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #26
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Top of my TBR list for 2019 is to read books 2 & 3 of the Legends of the First Empire series. I was only reading first books for my fantasy challenge for 2018. I loved the 1st book and can't wait to finish the second one. I've started Age of Swords but probably won't finish before 2019. The 3rd book has forward by the author and he did say it was supposed to be a trilogy but will add more book to this series. Yay !

Also he was asked what sparked his interest in writing this series ?
He said The Wizard of Oz. That was the first book I read for my fantasy challenge in 2018. He also said the Island of Misfit Toys. I was crushed as a child when I first saw the animated movie , and saw the Misfit Toys all alone and unloved on a bleak and desolated island. No one wanted them. Then I got a doll for Christmas and she had one eye that wouldn't stay open. My parents said Santa could bring me a good one and I could send one eye back. I was terrified she would end up on the island of misfit toys ! I said I loved her the way she was, and she became my favorite doll. Lol.

I really like when the authors talk about what motivated them to write a book, in this case it was Misfits, Dorothy. No wonder I really like these books.

Last edited by Wearever; 12-26-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #27
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I rarely re-read, and if I do, it has to be years later. If I haven't forgotten most of the small details, I end up getting an uncomfortable deja-vu-like feeling as my mind starts pulling in details ahead of where I am on the page.
Whereas I will have forgotten a number of the small details before I've finished the book and positively enjoy knowing what's happening next so I frequently reread books I enjoyed.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote