Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #46
duelle
duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle PW
Maybe it's just me, but that ChainLP programs seems to soften the images and all of them seem off-center. I fiddled with the settings and can't seem to get it quite right.
duelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
phoneline
phoneline began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by duelle View Post
Maybe it's just me, but that ChainLP programs seems to soften the images and all of them seem off-center. I fiddled with the settings and can't seem to get it quite right.
The programmer of ChainLP is a Japanese. So the English translation of interface may be is not 100% correct. And my mother tongue is not English,so i just use the Japanese interface.

This is the sample I converted.
Spoiler:
[/QUOTE]

And how can I upload my default.ini to this forum?

Last edited by phoneline; 11-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.
phoneline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #48
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneline View Post
And how can I upload my default.ini to this forum?
you can upload it after either appending ".txt" or zipping it.

also note that you can use the spoiler tag to hide a big picture to not disturb people
ie like this:
Spoiler:

Last edited by thomass; 11-25-2012 at 10:31 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #49
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Hi all!
Kudos to Dc5e for KindleComicParser!

Since I'm on a Mac, the script is nearly useless without a VM, so I came out with a python script that's almost identical but more portable for *NIX systems.
I additionally bundled the whole workflow (HTML/NCX/OPF generation, kindlegen, kindlestrip) in an AppleScript droplet for MacOS users.

You can find the standalone script along with the droplet at https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc.

I plan to add support for CBR/CBZ opening to the droplet very soon (comic2ebook.py already has), and extend the workflow with some image manipulation (margin removal, contrast, resizing).

Hope you like it
ciromattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #50
devorez
devorez began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciromattia View Post
Hi all!
Kudos to Dc5e for KindleComicParser!

Since I'm on a Mac, the script is nearly useless without a VM, so I came out with a python script that's almost identical but more portable for *NIX systems.
I additionally bundled the whole workflow (HTML/NCX/OPF generation, kindlegen, kindlestrip) in an AppleScript droplet for MacOS users.

You can find the standalone script along with the droplet at https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc.

I plan to add support for CBR/CBZ opening to the droplet very soon (comic2ebook.py already has), and extend the workflow with some image manipulation (margin removal, contrast, resizing).

Hope you like it
Thanks for this tool.
I'm using it on Windows and when I launch "comic2ebook.py KHD <folderPath>" I get this error:

File "C:\Users\***\Downloads\kcc-master\kcc-master\kcc\comic2ebook.py", li
ne 85, in __init__
im = Image.open(dstdir + "/" + filelist[0][0] + filelist[0][1])
IndexError: list index out of range

PIL is installed. Do I need to compress the folder with rarfile.py? I tried it, but no compressed folder seems to be created with this tool.

-----

@Dc5e Are you planning to add images optimization as ciromattia did? That'd be nice
Also there is sometimes an issue with chapters order. For example "10" come before "9".

Last edited by devorez; 12-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.
devorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #51
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorez View Post
Thanks for this tool.
I'm using it on Windows and when I launch "comic2ebook.py KHD <folderPath>" I get this error:

File "C:\Users\***\Downloads\kcc-master\kcc-master\kcc\comic2ebook.py", li
ne 85, in __init__

PIL is installed. Do I need to compress the folder with rarfile.py? I tried it, but no compressed folder seems to be created with this tool.

-----
Also there is sometimes an issue with chapters order. For example "10" come before "9".
hi, thanks for reporting, I did no tests on Windows, I'll do when I'm back from work. You need not to create the archive, the script should run fine on folders, I suppose the issue is in the different way to treat paths (*nix uses '/' and w32 uses '\'), I'll let you know when it's fixed!

The order issue is because of the OS, which orders folders and files alphabetically and not "humanly", so '10' (which starts with '1') comes before '9'. You should rename files padding with left '0's the one-numbered ones.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #52
devorez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciromattia View Post
hi, thanks for reporting, I did no tests on Windows, I'll do when I'm back from work. You need not to create the archive, the script should run fine on folders, I suppose the issue is in the different way to treat paths (*nix uses '/' and w32 uses '\'), I'll let you know when it's fixed!

The order issue is because of the OS, which orders folders and files alphabetically and not "humanly", so '10' (which starts with '1') comes before '9'. You should rename files padding with left '0's the one-numbered ones.
Great, waiting for it
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #53
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Thumbs up

Ok, I should have nailed down the issue and it should be fixed, at least on my win machine (Win7 with ActivePython and PIL).
I also pushed some code to make the app compliant with Python3 and to make it buildable as a standalone app/exe, but it still needs a GUI (some drag'n'drop functionality and configuration option); for now you can call
Code:
python.exe \path\to\kccdir\kcc\comic2ebook.py KHD \path\to\file_or_folder
Also note that, as rarfile library specifications (https://github.com/markokr/rarfile/blob/master/FAQ) you need to have unrar.exe in your PATH to make RAR/CBR extract correctly; when I'll complete the full app I'm going to ship unrar.exe directly in the exe (or switch to something more open, like 7zip).
Please tell me if now it works for you!

C.

Last edited by ciromattia; 12-17-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: formatting for readability :)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #54
borako
borako began at the beginning.

Ciromattia, I've been looking for such a solution for Mac and thanks for your work.

However, I've tried running your app (KindleComicConverter.app) it complains that kindlegen is missing, even though it's available in /usr/loca/bin. Is it possible for you to look into this? I would very much like to use the app instead of python script.

Thanks.
borako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #55
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Hi, glad you like it
The AppleScript used to look specifically into /usr/local/bin, but prefixing it with the HD name:
Code:
set kindlegenPath to POSIX path of file ("Macintosh HD:usr:local:bin:kindlegen")
Now it should work also if you changed your system disk name, please pull the latest version and tell me if it works.

I also noticed that for some reason AppleScript seems to hide the PATH to Python, so rarfile fails: this means that you can't use the droplet with CBR/RAR files (you still can use the bare comic2ebook.py script, though) until I nail down the issue - or finish the GUI
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #56
borako
borako began at the beginning.

Thanks Ciromattia. I've finally got it to work.

A couple of suggestions: First it'd be nice if it just uses directory name from the source file, instead of asking with a pop-up window with pre-filled source file name.

Second, is it possible to get rid of the kindlegen dialogue window?

These two are in my way of processing multiple files at once without interruption.

Again, thanks for the nice work!
borako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #57
fabiomdiniz
fabiomdiniz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello, I was wondering what we could do to add covers to these mobi files generated by KindleComicParser.

I tried to convert the mobi to mobi again on Calibre and just add the cover, but it seems to mess with the book, resizing images and making it not be treated as a comic on Kindle.
fabiomdiniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #58
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I think comics are done badly on the K3 - I just - ,,, through.... some frustration bought them from Amazon and removed the copyright and put them on my Sony reader, which was much better.

I once even bought some music, and I simply could not read it....

Naruto comics are having a field day as b/w comics go?

Even the hacked apps added to K3 work better with comics, once the copy-right has been removed.

Perhaps the best method for comics is a memory stick connected to a media player like PS3 or ..... whatever>>>>
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #59
devorez

Unfortunately it's still not working for me on Win 8.
Here is the traceback:
Quote:
Splitting double pages...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\chris\Downloads\kcc-master\kcc-master\kcc\comic2ebook.py", li
ne 195, in <module>
main()
ne 187, in main
OPFBuilder(dir,title,filelist)
ne 85, in __init__
Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #60
xCarJx
xCarJx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi
Exclamation little something when using calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5e View Post
Spoiler:
Requirements:
  • .NET 4.0 Framework
  • Batch image editor
  • Kindlegen with KF8 support.
  • Patience

What it does:
The Kindle Paperwhite's image editor no longer stores last read location, so my solution is to create a .mobi Panel View comic book (images fill the screen). This program will generate the .html, .opf, and .ncx files for Kindlegen to generate the .mobi.

How to use:
  1. Prepare comic/manga images using a batch image editor (IrfanView, Photoshop, etc) or Mangle. Resize the images to 758x1024 in .png or .jpg formats and apply any other sharpening/processing as you wish. Other resolutions may give errors during Kindlegen. I recommend converting to 8-bit grayscale to save space.
  2. Organize the images into folders (Use leading 0's to avoid file ordering problems). For example,

C:\Naruto
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\001.png
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 001\002.png
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\001.png
    C:\Naruto\Chapter 002\002.png
    etc...

3. Open KindleComicParser.exe (attached to this post), type in a title name into the textbox, click process, and select C:\Naruto.
    A message should pop up once complete, and C:\Naruto should be filled with a .opf, .ncx, and many .html files.
  4. Run Kindlegen (link to download page) on the .opf file. Depending on how many images you have, this may take awhile. Once completed, the .mobi file should be in the directory.
  5. Remove the SRCS record to reduce the .mobi filesize in half. You can use Kindlestrip.
  6. Copy the .mobi file to your Kindle!

Changelog:
  • 0.2.1 - Changed to use .NET 4.0 to hopefully eliminate any backwards compatibility issues
  • 0.2 - Added Command line ability
  • 0.1 - Initial Version
Thanks it works like a charm =D!

Just something you all should notice: If you try to use Calibre to add this MOBI to your device make sure you disable the "Send page number" (for PW and Touch) because it makes Calibre crash.

Menu Toolbar with device connected > Device > Configure this device ---> Uncheck the "Send page number information..."

Im using Calibre because i wanted to manage the metadata for collections so i noticed this. If it's already been said just dont mind me =P
xCarJx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, k5 tools, kindle tools, manga, paperwhite