Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sungale Cyberus review

I almost didn't write this review. This "ebook reader" is so bad that I'm almost too embarrassed to admit I bought one. Eh. It's going back tomorrow, so who cares.

Background
Sungale is a manufacturer of small electronic devices like digital picture frames. The Cyberus is one of 2 digital picture frame models that were adapted into ebook readers. The other model is slightly less capable, but details are sketchy. I don't know exactly how less capable (except that it can't read PDFs).

The Cyberus has a 7" touchscreen with a resolution of 800x480. It's slightly narrower and slightly taller than the original Kindle. The case is a minimalist matte black, and it comes with black leather book style case. I don't know the CPU or RAM, but I have used the Wifi to get online.

Negatives
It has no sleep function. The battery life is atrocious (somewhere around 2 hours). The speaker is behind a tiny hole on the left side. The sound quality is marginal at best, and the max volume is low. But it has a headphone jack which has decent sound.

It can only read PDFs and text files, and it does a really bad job. I couldn't set the zoom level right, so none of the PDFs I tried displayed properly. Some of the characters were pushed together, others were pulled apart.

If you want to know how bad, look at the third PDF picture. The characters are not supposed to be filled in like that. Then look at the fifth PDF picture. The dropcap is supposed to be uppercase, and the text is supposed to have quotation marks.

Positives
Compared to anything in its price range, its media capabilities is best defined as adequate. It has no browser, but it does have a very limited ability for Youtube, Gmail, IP Radio, weather, stock reports, traffic, etc. From the way it accesses Youtube and Gmail, I think it uses a proxy server run by Sungale. I could be wrong, though.

My recommendation
Take the $200 this thing costs (Walmart) and go buy an iPod Touch, Sony Pocket Edition, Aluratek Libre, or any of the several small tablets discussed here on MobileRead. Anything is better than the Cyberus.

P.S. Sorry about the picture quality. I don't have access to my main camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main menu.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	870.7 KB
ID:	41049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPradio1.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	773.6 KB
ID:	41050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IPradio2.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	837.6 KB
ID:	41051   Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube1.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	764.2 KB
ID:	41052   Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube2.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	781.2 KB
ID:	41053   Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube3.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	880.4 KB
ID:	41054   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather1.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	951.4 KB
ID:	41055   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather2.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	856.0 KB
ID:	41056   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather3.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	916.7 KB
ID:	41057   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf1.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	1,000.2 KB
ID:	41058   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf2.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	41061   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf3.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	959.9 KB
ID:	41062   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf4.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	889.4 KB
ID:	41063   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf5.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	41064  

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-11-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Wow... You just saved me some time.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I think it's just a very very cheap PC. I guess some would let them get away with it because it's in color but what makes a good e-reader is it's long battery life, size and how well/many formats (good programs cost money) it can handle. I think we are about to see a lot of junk in this new (not really) electronic device market. We are going to get a bunch of start-ups trying to get in and make a quick buck on people who don't know any better. China is going to be very busy with poor knock-offs. Ever notice how many fake ipods there are in Flea Markets, soon you will be seeing readers.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Haha...someone wrote their own text rendering engine, and had no idea what they were doing.

Good to know! I kind of expected that from the cyberus, but nice to see it confirmed.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
2 hrs batt life. Is the fabled Apple tablet gonna be much better?
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here's a link to a very bad intro commercial made by Buy.com. They show a little of the "ebook reader" which they promise to get back to but never do. Mostly, it's a lot of icon clicking and watching it say "connect network...". They don't show how any video looks on it, you don't hear the speakers for the radio and it's very DOS looking to me. It also looks like it has some screen burn-in.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote