Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
Malcx
Malcx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3rd Gen 3G
Kindle 3rd Gen Experimental Browser Https no longer works on most sites.

It's a 3g 3rd Gen Kindle - I occasionally use the experimental web browser but can no longer access most sites that use https. Google, wikipedia etc. They all give the same error "Web Browser is unable to establish a secure connection with this web site"

• I can connect to https://www.amazon.com though so ssl is still working for some sites at least.
  • Non secure sites work fine.
  • It makes no difference if I am using wifi or 3g

Is this fixable? I suspect it is due to certificates expiring or some such? I'm running the latest 3.4.3 firmware...
Malcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check Amazon for Software Updates. There's been a couple of "service updates" (or some such) post 3.4.3.

(i.e., "the latest 3.4.3" doesn't mean much anymore, as there's something like 3 or 4 different 3.4.3 builds ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Malcx

Thanks - where can I check for these?
There's no option on the device ("Update your kindle" is greyed out).

Yesterday I installed the version on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW but that hasn't resolved it
Old 02-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh. My bad. Funky service updates were for earlier devices, not the K3 .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Maybe amazon certificate glitches have migrated from K2 and DX to K3.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I think it is the web sites that have changed, and the antiquated browser cannot load new versions of the website. It took me a long time to find a way into Gmail, but I finally did. Maybe if you go through Google you might find versions of the websites you seek, rather than using antiquated bookmarks?
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
stassk8
stassk8 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg, kindle pw3
at the end of 2019 wikipedia was still working.
stassk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
term1nat0r
term1nat0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 SO
and? no solution to the problem? :-(
term1nat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #9
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Probably caused by an outdated SSL cert bundle, I have a feeling that this wouldn't be too difficult to solve but don't have a K3 to verify this
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:16 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A possible reason for being unable to access some websites is that many websites now require a minimum of TLS 1.2 to access a HTTPS page while no longer supporting HTTP connections other than to force a switch to a HTTPS connection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #11
Malcx

I never found a good solution, just hacked a quick proxy running on a server I run. (not secure or great).

Amazon did offer me 20% off a new device though - of course one without 3g :/
Old 01-13-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
Eures
Connoisseur
Eures is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite 4
For my kindle keyboard I would like to try to install the certificates as explained in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254808
Eures is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, keyboard, kindle