Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
The solution, though not perfect:

Code:
       if (!m_process.waitForFinished(-1)) {
          m_process.kill();
          m_process.waitForFinished(-1);
       }
Sigil does not crash, but requires the user to close all windows opened by python.
Because no message appears – the user may not know what to do at the moment because Sigil stops responding (Not Responded) when such windows are open.
However, since Sigil will not crash – the editions it made before running the plugin will not be lost.

If the problem only occurs in Windows (and in addition not all users), this may be due to processor speed or other factors.
Maybe add a condition only for Windows?
So although this is an extremely rare situation, it still protects your data from loss due to crash.
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Steps to reproduce?

Clicking the X button should now literally be the same thing as clicking the Cancel button. So if it can crash clicking the X, you should be able to also get it to crash using the Cancel button.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-20-2019 at 12:53 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because TagMechanic crash relatively rarely, try FootnoteManipulator - crash almost every time you press X.

Edit: EpubCheck too.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 11-20-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #19
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I was able to crash EpubCheck, too, but I had to wait for one or two progress bar cycles.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #20
BeckyEbook
Guru

I tested 20 plugins and I consider the solution quite good. Sigil never crashed, there was not a single error message, even those that usually appeared after pressing "Cancel".
Hmmm ... It's worth doing more tests, but I'm pleasantly surprised.
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
With the latest builds? I would guess this is a Windows only bug. In unix once you kill the process, it is gone and all of its windows go away.

I have no idea how that works in Windows but their must be so e way to kill an entire process!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BeckyEbook, please create a Pull Request with your latest changes so I can see exactly what you are changing and where or post a diff -u here.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 11-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Please try removing the first wait call. Then try running terminate() first and if still running, then use kill. I would follow it for a wait of a few seconds max, not unlimited.

Does that help?

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 11-20-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Because TagMechanic crash relatively rarely, try FootnoteManipulator - crash almost every time you press X.

I'm the using ShowSemantics plugin that crashed 100% of time when pressing the X button before. I've been unable to get it to crash since.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
BeckyEbook
Guru

Code:
m_process.terminate();
m_process.kill();
=> crash.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I still say that the best way to deal with this is to simply close things how you know you're supposed to!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #27
BeckyEbook
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I would follow it for a wait of a few seconds max, not unlimited.
I made several attempts.
With a setting of 3 seconds, python was killed. I think this value is acceptable to everyone.
Less seconds = crash.
So instead of (-1) you can give (3000).

A message (Error Parsing Result XML) appears, but at least it doesn't wait forever.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #28
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I still say that the best way to deal with this is to simply close things how you know you're supposed to!
Never!

I needed that window out of my way ASAP, and when I see a big fat X, I click it!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Never!

I needed that window out of my way ASAP, and when I see a big fat X, I click it!
Then leave the big fat TagMechanic dialog covering up the Plugin Runner window and its big fat X (like it defaults to) so you won't be tempted by it!

Old 11-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi Becky,
Based on your testing, I just pushed the following to master:

Code:
void PluginRunner::cancelPlugin()
{
    // qDebug() << "in cancelPlugin()";
    if (m_process.state() == QProcess::Running) {
        m_process.terminate();
    }
    m_process.waitForFinished(2000);

if (m_process.state() == QProcess::Running) {
        m_process.kill();
    }
    m_process.waitForFinished(2000);

ui.okButton->setEnabled(true);

ui.progressBar->setRange(0,100);
    ui.progressBar->reset();

ui.textEdit->append(tr("Plugin cancelled"));
    ui.statusLbl->setText(tr("Status: cancelled"));
    ui.cancelButton->setEnabled(false);
}
Does this at least close all of the python windows? Any more crashes?

Combined it waits for 4 seconds to be a bit safer.