Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
cscotts
cscotts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
"Do no harm" mode?

Hi all,

Is there any way to get sigil to not make ANY changes to the content, form, and structure of an ePub file when I open it?

I've never really understood the point of automatically moving moving stylesheets and html files into CONSTANT named folders (Styles, Text, etc) within the epub, even for a perfectly well-formed file.

My production process takes input files and outputs validated, well-formed ePub files. Sometimes I just want to make a small change to a one chapter without regenerating the whole ePub from source. When I do this, Sigil dramatically restructures and edits the ePub.

Thanks, even despite this (Relatively minor) issue, Sigil is a great tool!
cscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Some day maybe. But that design decision is truly embedded in Sigil from day 1 (or close to it). Sigil depends on and enforces that model and as such each xhtml file must be correctly parseable, etc so that links can be updated. The movement of files to a standard structure should do no "harm". If an epub passes epubcheck and is loaded into Sigil, it should (in its new layout) pass epubcheck. If not that is a bug and I will track it down and fix it.

All that said, once BV has been dealt with, and missing epub3 fixed-layout support has been added, I will look into making the relayout an option only.

But that will not happen for quite a while yet.

Sorry,

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In the meantime, you can try the calibre Editor, which is mostly feature-comparable with Sigil (although it does not have a "Book View" WYSIWYG editing mode).

Assuming it really bothers you that Sigil restructures things -- well, I actually use the optional tool in the calibre Editor to do what Sigil does automatically.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote