Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
ITKozak
ITKozak began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD freeze

Hello there.

So, I have Clara HD N249 which like to freeze up after 1-5 minutes of usage. Reader freezing up while I'm browsing menus, reading books, downloading books via USB, overall while normal usage.I can't update or restore firmware because reader will stuck up while I'm trying to do so. Extra info:
  • I have SD card mod, but I getting similar behaviour on stock SD too.
  • I already tried to restore OS via restore image because I was having same issues on "stock" OS (I bought Clara used from second hands). Also I have blank IMEI but I doubt that this is the issue.
  • I can read books only if Clara goes to sleep after page turns but it is a hustle. And yes I turn off energy saving settings and auto sleep.
  • Also dossen't connected to WiFi.
  • Using old firmware 4.7.10733
  • Bypassing account registration with sql insert.
  • All I can do is to fully turn off again but this isn't very convenient...

Could it be battery related problems? I'm a little bit scared for motherboard issues because I dosen't have any market coverage in my country.
Looking into any help and thx in advance!
And sorry for bad English - non native.
Peace!
ITKozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Update the firmware. You appear to be using the factory firmware. That is probably the worst firmware you can use for any device. After updating to something newer, see what happens.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #3
ITKozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Update the firmware. You appear to be using the factory firmware. That is probably the worst firmware you can use for any device. After updating to something newer, see what happens.
Sorry for not replying!

Sadly this behavior continues if I try to restore or update software - after some time it will just froze up and 1-3 minutes isn't enough to update OS.

Currently looking into swapping battery with something with similar requirement and/or installing linux for more diagnostics options.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What you describe doesn't sound like a battery issue. I haven't heard of hangs and similar being fixed with a new battery. It does sound like a failing SD card. You mention "have SD card mod", which might mean you updated the card. Are you sure the card is good? Can you try another card?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:49 AM   #5
ITKozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What you describe doesn't sound like a battery issue. I haven't heard of hangs and similar being fixed with a new battery. It does sound like a failing SD card. You mention "have SD card mod", which might mean you updated the card. Are you sure the card is good? Can you try another card?
I had exact same issue on SD card which was with ereader from the seller and bought a new one as a replacement. But a new SD also has the same issue.

But, yeah, I dosen't check old SD for bad sectors or weird issues and for the new one - just assumed that this is good. On the other hand - I don't get any errors while fleshing them with recovery image.

I will try to check SD cards now.
Advert
Old 12-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #6
ITKozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITKozak View Post
I had exact same issue on SD card which was with ereader from the seller and bought a new one as a replacement. But a new SD also has the same issue.

But, yeah, I dosen't check old SD for bad sectors or weird issues and for the new one - just assumed that this is good. On the other hand - I don't get any errors while fleshing them with recovery image.

I will try to check SD cards now.
Upd:
Both SD cards looking good - no bad blocks, corrupted sector or missing data.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #7
ITKozak

Okay, so after fiddling around with some extra SD card - Clara works without major hiccups. Only strange moment is that after importing books onto reader it can take a while to process - to be exact roughly 20-25 minutes. Im using only EPUB books and it is like 25 books, but my SD card is 128G so maybe there it is.

On the side note:
Different card from different brands with different capacity (4-32G's) wont work. But they all were ok cards (no dead sectors or bad bytes. Tested on two different stations plus on IP camera).

Overall - problem solved.
What issue was - I just dont know.