Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
tduncan
tduncan began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook & JetBook Lite
Modifying JBL power supply hardware?

I had a JB. The screen got cracked. So i ordered a JBL to replace it - not realizing the batteries in the JBL stick out the back - ugh! I want my old lithium battery & charger back!

So I opened the case to see how difficult it would be to replace the JBL AA battery pack with the JB lithium pack. The power jack and surrounding parts are gone, but even if I replaced them - they've been laid out differently on the JBL board. And the JB battery connector is near the USB & SD card connectors. The JBL battery connections are on the opposite end of the board.

Has anyone done such a conversion?

Perhaps it would be easier to scavenge the display from the JBL and put it on the JB? But I fear I'll damage it trying to remove it - it's taped down so well. Has anyone successfully remove and re-assembled a display screen?
tduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I don't believe the JBL will recharge a Lithium battery, so you'll have to remove it and find some way to recharge it every time it runs down.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Personally, I think your distaste for the battery bump, is illogical. Also that the JBL
with its current firmware is the better eReader.

That said, I would consider the screen transplant as more likely to have a usable
result. The screens are the same and should work with the existing hardware of your
regular jetBook.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
tduncan

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Cromag: I was thinking about that after I posted - I doubt the JBL has the lithium charging circuit needed. So unless I roll my own (and I still don't know where to "tap in" to the board), strike that idea.

Ken: It's more than just the "bump," I prefer the charger (overnight) and never having to buy/keep/replace AA batteries throughout its life.

So, as Ken pointed out, a screen transplant is the better solution. But they're so sensitive, I'm fearful of damaging it during removal. Has anyone successfully removed/replaced one?

For that matter, does anyone know where I can get a replacement screen? Maybe I can fix the old one and have two working readers! I contacted Ectaco long ago and was told to just buy a whole new reader. They don't sell parts.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If your regular jetBook's screen is already broken, why not try removing it and see what
the issues might be? As both devices are made in the same factory, it is likely that the
same procedures were used to install the screen.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
tduncan

I already did. It has four thin strips of tape - one strip per side, about 1/2 inch in from the edges. When removing the old broken one, I flexed the screen alot. I used my fingers & fingernails only. The tape is VERY tacky - like 3M VHB or similar.

I was wondering if you or anyone had a "trick" for removing it. All I can think of is sliding a very thin *something* under it all the way across. Like a piece of sheet metal only 0.5mm thick.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've never disassembled a Jetbook, so I can't talk specifics, but I am in the process of rebuilding a Creative Zen Sleek MP3 player -- which was also built not to be taken apart, and used a lot of tape and glue. One tool that I found helpful was a guitar pick -- it's thin, relatively rigid, but didn't hurt the plastic parts. You might also try a hair dryer to loosen some tape or glue -- just heat it a bit, don't cook it
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I will second cromag's suggestion. I have a real heat gun that I have used in such
situations and it comes in very handy, but I do use a very low setting and am careful
about not overheating sensitive parts. A damp cloth can help shield sensitive parts.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-06-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
I've used a very thin 'chisel' made from a bamboo chopstick. I soak it in whatever solvent works on the particular tape used. It is a slow process but quite safe as long as you don't get enough solvent on the stick to drip into the electronics itself.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
I've used a very thin 'chisel' made from a bamboo chopstick. I soak it in whatever solvent works on the particular tape used. It is a slow process but quite safe as long as you don't get enough solvent on the stick to drip into the electronics itself.
And the OP has the tape/glue on the busted screen to test solvents on, the
right solvent will make all the difference.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-08-2011 at 11:43 PM.