Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #61
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Alice Kimberly's "Haunted Bookshop" series develops a romance (of sorts) between the bookshop owner and her ghost.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #62
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
Not sure if these fit what you're looking for, and a disclaimer that these are the only books I've read that I think fit into cozies:
I'm liking Heather Webber's trilogy so far, 1. Truly, Madly 2. Deeply, Desparately; and Juliet Blackwell's books, 1. Secondhand Spirits and 2. A Cast-off Coven. Both have a light paranormal angle in addition to the romance.
Well, they qualify for me, cause I've read all of those too, and enjoyed them! Love a slight paranormal angle to my cozies, the Mary Stanton series (Beaufort & Co.) is great for that. Sue Ann Jaffarian also has the Ghost of Granny Apples series with a ghost (the second one is coming out the first of Feb.) Then there's Madelyn Alt, with the Bewitching series (not so much ghosts but witches in that one), and Shirley Damsgaard with Ophelia and Abby (witches again).
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #63
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wendy Roberts' "Ghost Dusters" books have paranormal plus a romance angle as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #64
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I've been posting mini-reviews of some of mysteries / crime fiction I've been reading in the past few months on a related thread. Gladys Mitchell created "Mrs Beatrice Lestrange Bradley" who gets into all sorts of trouble in English villages. The series ran from 1929 to the 1960s -- 66 titles! A handful are in print as e-books and may be at your public library.

A little more about Ms Mitchell and The Saltmarsh Murders here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120.

I have also read another from her 1930s output, Death at the Opera, which was equally engaging (and cozy!) and which I hope to get around to posting about.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #65
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Thank you for starting this thread. I love this book genre! Grew up spending hours and hours at our local library in the mystery section!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #66
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm about to start "Murder Past Due," I'm hoping I will enjoy it!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #67
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm about to start "Murder Past Due," I'm hoping I will enjoy it!
An F. Y. I. -- Miranda James is a pen name of Dean James, who has also written the Simon Kirby-Jones books, about a gay vampire: Posted to Death being the first one.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #68
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
An F. Y. I. -- Miranda James is a pen name of Dean James, who has also written the Simon Kirby-Jones books, about a gay vampire: Posted to Death being the first one.
I have heard of a woman using a male pen-name (namely due gender bias in the industry), but I think this is the first I've heard of a man using a female pen name.....interesting.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #69
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
icedtea - I will check out those, thank you!

I am actually already looking into Alice Kimberly's Haunted Bookshop series! I haven't read any yet, but it's on the list.

Do any of you guys consider the Sookie Stackhouse series as a cozy?
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #70
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Do any of you guys consider the Sookie Stackhouse series as a cozy?
I would say no. Nor would I categorize it as mystery.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #71
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read them, and I like them, but I find it interesting that the title of the series is the Southern Vampire Mysteries. I find an element of mystery but I don't really know if I would call it that?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #72
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I read them, and I like them, but I find it interesting that the title of the series is the Southern Vampire Mysteries. I find an element of mystery but I don't really know if I would call it that?
Interesting, they are not called mysteries here. It is called the Southern Vampire series.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #73
teadonkey
Zealot

Really? That's weird I wonder why they'd print it two different ways! I just checked myself to make sure I'm not insane. Amazon lists it as Southern Vampire Mysteries, as well!
Amazon! It's not a major deal or anything, I was just asking what everyone's opinion was on it, since it's listed mystery. (:
Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #74
Nyssa
Series Addict

How odd. I never noticed that on Amazon. I'm accustomed to looking things up on Barnes & Noble first. Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Series

Now, you've got me curious....much search for more.

Edit: Wikipedia uses "Mysteries" as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #75
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I've never read one, but from the plot summaries I've run across, they don't seem like "mystery" either - more like paranormal fiction. The Harper Connolly series I'd call "mystery" - though definitely not "cozy"!