Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2020, 06:42 AM   #31
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormus23 View Post
U740.5.17.1402

Haven't run any updates yet, so since you're bringing this up, I'm guessing that's what I must do?
I was not really sure, but looking at it again the rooting trick relies on fairly new feature (its one of the most recent rpc api calls). Seems like firmware 5.20.x firmware is needed, perhaps 5.19.x could work too.

You can just run OTA over wifi. In case you don't have wifi, download http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f....1010_user.zip put SWUPDATE.BIN to root folder over usb, and then power on the reader while holding up/down buttons simultaneously. Beware that unlike OTA, this manual update can wipe apps and books stored on the reader, it's a bit akin to factory reset in addition to fw update.

Last edited by ezdiy; 01-02-2020 at 06:46 AM.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #32
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Cool, used it (only step1 version 6) in Touch HD FW5.20.1527 to export secure partition:
/mnt/secure/su /bin/tar cf - /mnt/secure/* | gzip -c - > /mnt/ext1/secure.tar.gz
Working flawlessly on my device.

Edit:
And if the Coolreader startup script ist adapted to run Coolreader as root, we get access to all the nice and bought dictionaries back, which are normally only accessible by the pocketbook reader.
in:
/ext1/system/bin/cr3-pb.app
replace:
$WORK_DIR/system/share/cr3/bin/cr3-pb.app "$1" > $WORK_DIR/system/cr3-pb.normal.log 2>
with
/mnt/secure/su $WORK_DIR/system/share/cr3/bin/cr3-pb.app "$1" > $WORK_DIR/system/cr3-pb.normal.log 2>

Last edited by nhedgehog; 02-04-2020 at 10:43 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #33
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
succeeded on PB631 too, FW 5.20.1527. Still figuring out what to make out of it, but yeah, cool!
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:53 AM   #34
lordfrikk
lordfrikk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi, I have an Inkpad X and I am trying to solve an issue (see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5887). Unfortunately I don't have any experience hacking PocketBook devices though I use Linux at work so I at least know my way around it. Seems like I need to get shell access to execute a strace command and copy file from the /usr directory. Is there some easier, non-invasive way of doing that or is your jailbreak the only way?
lordfrikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:26 AM   #35
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfrikk View Post
Hi, I have an Inkpad X and I am trying to solve an issue (see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5887). Unfortunately I don't have any experience hacking PocketBook devices though I use Linux at work so I at least know my way around it. Seems like I need to get shell access to execute a strace command and copy file from the /usr directory. Is there some easier, non-invasive way of doing that or is your jailbreak the only way?
Please try the attached device.lua with your Koreader which is confirmed to be working on the Inkpad X. My quick guess regarding your error is that you probably used a wrong resolution.

Edit: Regarding the other questions, that can probably done with pbterm, which should be downloadable somewere here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip device.zip (2.9 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by nhedgehog; 02-21-2020 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:39 AM   #36
lordfrikk

No, that doesn't work for me.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #37
nhedgehog
Guru

Strange, what is the content of your:
applications\koreader\crash.log
?
Old 02-21-2020, 03:56 AM   #38
lordfrikk

Got the jailbreak and ssh working on my Inkpad X! Thanks!
Old 02-21-2020, 03:58 AM   #39
lordfrikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Strange, what is the content of your:
applications\koreader\crash.log
?
The same as before (posted in the GitHub issue). Inkpad X is supposed to have 227 DPI. 300 is incorrect.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:19 AM   #40
nhedgehog
Guru

Inkpad X has the same resolution has Inkpad 3.
Doesn't matter, you were asked to provide some files and logs from for the Koreader guys. For this you don't need root. Just use the attached app.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KOReader_Test.zip (5.2 KB, 323 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #41
lordfrikk

I've already solved the issue but thank you!
Old 02-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #42
pascal jakobs
Enthusiast
pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Libra 2
Hello all,
I'm about to choose a e-ink reader in order to use it as a display (only console no X) for my raspberry pi via USB (as it was possible when kindle was still "rootable" http://www.okinteresting.com/2018/10...iy-kindle.html) Your package provides root, usbnet, sshd and I need a terminal as well (pbterminal??). Inkpad 3 pro is very attractive for me, As anybody ever tried such test, do you think is could be possible?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by pascal jakobs; 02-27-2020 at 06:19 AM.
pascal jakobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #43
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal jakobs View Post
Hello all,
I'm about to choose a e-ink reader in order to use it as a display (only console no X) for my raspberry pi via USB (as it was possible when kindle was still "rootable" http://www.okinteresting.com/2018/10...iy-kindle.html) Your package provides root, usbnet, sshd and I need a terminal as well (pbterminal??). Inkpad 3 pro is very attractive for me, As anybody ever tried such test, do you think is could be possible?
Thanks for your help
There's even remoteink app that works a bit like that too (it uses custom protocol and win32 client). On PB, you don't technically need root to access fb device (on kindle, you definitely need it), as everything has a write access to it.

If I were to run a rig like this, I'd probably try to get X running though. Xorg has somewhat usable support for eink fb, and all unix apps running elsewhere could leverage the screen with decent transport protocol. You can also configure the server to pull keyboard and mouse I/O from off-device as well, or even bluetooth or OTG host.

As for pbterm and such, typing on the screen is not very usable due to lag. It's more of a last ditch thing if you can't ssh into it for some reason (no root, no other device to ssh from etc).

As for Kindle, there is technically root for it assuming you get one with factory fw. But dealing with that is something I'd not recommend unless you're very familiar with it, as the tooling for that is currently rather shoddy.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:54 AM   #44
pascal jakobs
Enthusiast
pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Libra 2
Thanks for your nice reply ezdiy
I'm a bit disapointed, I thaught your usbnet could give me the possibility to ssh fron the reader to my RPI ssh server? For me the simpler is the best. I'm far from being a guru in any matters, I'm just playing. I found this idea very good cause my eyes hate the computer screen and I love my RPI (console). ;-( Should I switch to gardening?
Have a nice day
pascal jakobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #45
random42
random42 began at the beginning.

Device: PB HD3 (632), Kindle Paperwhite
This is pretty slick. Have a number of things I would like to do with this device as I am a seasoned software dev.

on PB HD3 - U632.5.19.832

Rooting worked, service install worked, but keep getting prompted that the storage may be corrupt. About half the time when I reboot it acts like it just reset back to factory defaults, although root and services a still present.
random42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
root