Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
jcgray
jcgray began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Unhappy Sigil doesn't open since update

I needed to finish an ebook asap yesterday and when I opened Sigil, it crashed on the message that there was an update forcing me to get the new version.
Now, when I try to open the program it simply doens't open.

I've tryed uninstalling and reinstalling, cleaned up my pc, register, everything, and it still doesn't open.

I'm using windows 10, and even tryed forcing compatibility and nothing. I've also updated Visual C++, Java, everything. Still doesnst work.

Help please, I really need to finish this ebook, it's a xmas gift for my readers!
jcgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There is no forced or otherwise updating in Sigil. It may have said there was an update available. If it were me, I would go to the releases page and download the exact same version you had installed previously. Install it and try again. If it still fails to launch, go to your Sigil Preferences folder and rename the sigil.ini file to something else and retry. Your sigil.ini file may be corrupted.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yep. No forced forced upgrade. ever. Wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. In fact: the message telling you about the new version provides absolutely no mechanism to download the latest version--let alone run the installer of it's own volition. You could have dismissed the new version notification and gone about your business.

Other than that. Kevin's advice to get back on track is the way to go.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
jcgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
There is no forced or otherwise updating in Sigil. It may have said there was an update available. If it were me, I would go to the releases page and download the exact same version you had installed previously. Install it and try again. If it still fails to launch, go to your Sigil Preferences folder and rename the sigil.ini file to something else and retry. Your sigil.ini file may be corrupted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yep. No forced forced upgrade. ever. Wouldn't do that to my worst enemy. In fact: the message telling you about the new version provides absolutely no mechanism to download the latest version--let alone run the installer of it's own volition. You could have dismissed the new version notification and gone about your business.

Other than that. Kevin's advice to get back on track is the way to go.
The program just crashed after the message, and when I tryed to open again I only get a blank box (where was the message) and then the app stops working, that's why I was forced to get the new one.
I'll try to rename the ini file and see if it works. I looked for other versions yesterday at github but couldn't find it.

Actually that site isn't very visual friendly and I can't find anything there quickly. Looks like an FTP tree with lots of things I don't even know what are for and the fast links are for coding and sourcing ( and I'm just a writer, I just use the program to make my books ). I'll try to look there calmly later, since I need this ebook ready now I'm doing it the long way with MSWord and Calibre
Old 12-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Release page in github is the only place to download any and all releases.

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases

They are all there. No ftp nonsense, simply click on the asset you want. Nothing has changed in this respect at all.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
@jcgray: Note that if you go to the Releases page, the downloads of earlier releases can only be reached by clicking on the name of that release. I recommend 0.9.18.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Unless you are a big user of Book View and then I recommend Sigil-0.9.14
Old 12-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow your browser must be different from mine. I can scroll down and can see all of the releases. To download a specific file I just need to click on the triangle pointer besides the Assets of the release I want to see them. No need to click on any release name at all.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-24-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow your briwser muyst be different from mine. I can scr0ll down and can see all of the releases. To download a specific file I just need to click on the triangle pointer besides the Assets of the release I want to see them. No need to click on any release name at all.
Yep. Been a long, long time since anyone had to go to a specific release's page to just access the downloads on github.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgray View Post
Actually that site isn't very visual friendly and I can't find anything there quickly.
So how'd you download the Sigil installer in the first place? That visually unfriendly site has been the official download site of Sigil since version 0.8.0 back in Sep 27, 2014.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-24-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
jcgray

Quote:
The Release page in github is the only place to download any and all releases.

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases

They are all there. No ftp nonsense, simply click on the asset you want. Nothing has changed in this respect at all.
I was olny finding the last one to download, but then I saw your answer to () and found here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
@jcgray: Note that if you go to the Releases page, the downloads of earlier releases can only be reached by clicking on the name of that release. I recommend 0.9.18.
Quote:
Unless you are a big user of Book View and then I recommend Sigil-0.9.14
I'll try both, 1.0.0 simply doesn't open, no matter what I do here. One of these must work I suppose. I had to finish my book with MsWord and Kindle Creator and that's a nightmare.

Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So how'd you download the Sigil installer in the first place? That visually unfriendly site has been the official download site of Sigil since version 0.8.0 back in Sep 27, 2014.
I downloaded one version two years ago, probably the first link tteh site gave me and it worked, I never had to keep looking around the page looking for other versions or whatever. Yesterday this old version crashed BADLY with the update message and I had to download the new one that simply doesn't open.
GitHub is a nice site for people that is found od coding and such things but it IS a very unfriendlly site for people that usually get programs direct from their sites, specially when english is not their native language like me.
So if you're so worryed on who did I get the installer in the first place, maybe you should worry that I'm probably not the only person having those kind of problems.
Sigil is the best program for editing ebooks, but not all independent authors understand english very well to just find out hidden download links, or go like me looking around and trying to find by clicking and can't get to the download page again.
You could try to be more compreensible with people next time you know.

Anyway, I'll uninstall the new version, clean up my registry, and try older versions to see if it works.
Thank you very much for your help, specially KevinH for the patience.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgray View Post
GitHub is a nice site for people that is found od coding and such things but it IS a very unfriendlly site for people that usually get programs direct from their sites, specially when english is not their native language like me.
So if you're so worryed on who did I get the installer in the first place, maybe you should worry that I'm probably not the only person having those kind of problems.
I'm not worried at all. People will learn to use the github releases pages or they won't. Makes no difference to me which they choose. Sigil's probably never going to have a pretty home page with a big green download button.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-24-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The key is the sigil.ini file. Find it and rename it. The Sigil should start up just fine.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Help with finding your Sigil ini file when Sigil won't start.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-25-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
jcgray

Changing the ini file worked! Thank you