Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCatnip View Post
And yes, I seem to remember the problems with Book View but that was just in one version I believe. But it was irritating, true.
The issues with editing in Book View were there in every Sigil version where I tested. Admittedly, most of the time I was using Book View as a viewer so Preview fitted my use case better (Code View on one monitor, Preview on the other).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCatnip View Post
Again thanks a lot to the team here for the support, the answers are really very prompt, it's a great job you are doing!
I have to agree there. Other than DiapDealer and KevinH here and Kovid Goyal in the calibre forum, I've seldom seen any developer respond as quickly to issues and are willing to explain the reasons behind design decisions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #32
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
@PhilippeBruno

No, it's not just you. I also regret the disappearance and ease of selecting between Book and Code view. It was perfect for the typical fine-tuning that I need to do 99% of the time (i.e. adding/modifying incomplete table of contents which doesn't require the Code view at all).

Opening a small Book view with F10 only clutters the app and opening PageEdit obscures Sigil's Book Browser and Table of Contents.

For me the new Sigil layout is definitely a step back favoring users needing extensive coding over those who only occasionally require it. Would be interesting to see how users are distributed to the two categories.
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've no idea what you guys hope to gain/achieve with all this sad-sacking and commiseration--perhaps you find it carthartic, I don't know. The bottom line is that Book View is gone after v0.9.14. Nothing is going to change that. Your choices are to adapt to the new reality and move forward with Sigil without Book View, or to stick with version 0.9.14 since it meets all of your needs. I suggest you get busy doing one or the other.

We didn't steal the versions of Sigil that still work for you. Continue using them with our blessing, or adjust to the new way. Because if I have to continue listening to this pointless carping much longer, I'm just going to start deleting all new posts that mention Book View.

As far as I'm concerned, Book View was a self-inflicted wound that has been holding Sigil back since day one.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-07-2019 at 03:39 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I never used Book View to make changes. So having it changed to a preview view is better overall. It also means no more having people use Book View like a word processor when it's not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #35
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For a long time I thought BV was Preview in the CodeView space - for people who had small screens or used large fonts. Because I don't use toolbars I didn't realise it had editing capabilities. But even when the penny dropped I never found any use for it.

But I find PageView quite useful for proof reading, simple spell checking etc. Haven't tried the latest version using opf files yet - but I'm leaning towards merging the xhtml files, do the proofreading and corrections on a single file, and re-split when finished.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #36
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For a long time I thought BV was Preview in the CodeView space - for people who had small screens or used large fonts. Because I don't use toolbars I didn't realise it had editing capabilities. But even when the penny dropped I never found any use for it.

But I find PageView quite useful for proof reading, simple spell checking etc. Haven't tried the latest version using opf files yet - but I'm leaning towards merging the xhtml files, do the proofreading and corrections on a single file, and re-split when finished.

BR
I haven't tried this on the recent versions of Sigil so this may be outdated, but I've found that the larger the file is, the slower Sigil goes - especially when doing multiple S&R. I think it's a matter of how much text does Sigil needs to keep in memory when doing multiple changes before committing to the change and saving the file?? In any case, I've found that it is significantly faster to break the files into their chapters for editing. FWIW.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:49 AM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I haven't tried this on the recent versions of Sigil so this may be outdated, but I've found that the larger the file is, the slower Sigil goes - especially when doing multiple S&R. I think it's a matter of how much text does Sigil needs to keep in memory when doing multiple changes before committing to the change and saving the file?? In any case, I've found that it is significantly faster to break the files into their chapters for editing. FWIW.
Dodging between files is a PITA when proofreading and speed isn't that important. Anyway it's me doing it - why should anyone care if I merge 20 chapter files into one, proofread and correct, and then split the corrected text back into the 20 chapter files again.

I maybe using the wrong term, the process I'm referring includes things like fact checking, plotline, voice and character consistency, grammar, spelling, style checking (as in Chicago, Cambridge...) etc. Copy/content/manuscript editing might be better terms.

There's more to a book than layout and typography - unless its a book on such

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #38
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6055 View Post
Did you know that you can simulate book view by decoupling the PREVEW WINDOW (hit F10). Drag and drop the preview window over the html viewer, resize the window to take up all or part of the available space. Use F10 instead of F2 to toggle between views. A really simple fix to give you "BOOK VIEW" again.
Great tip, and useful for those of us who work on laptops, not huge desktop screens.
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #39
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...Nothing is going to change that. Your choices are to adapt to the new reality and move forward with Sigil without Book View, or to stick with version 0.9.14 since it meets all of your needs...
Hi, I don't miss the Book View because I simply do not update beyond 0.9.14... It does not bother me using 1 year older version yet, but I’m afraid in time it will.
It is unnecessary to talk about using Preview instead, because it is something else.

People are used to work in WORD Print Layout mode, imagine that MS would decide to get rid of it: Dear users, the Print Layout mode sucks… we will no more support it, we will never bring it back. Since this new version you will have to use the Draft mode, if you want you can open the Print Preview Page…

DiapDealer, the Book View is similar and by removing it you’ve downgraded your excellent program. Do you realize that downgrading things does not advance the civilisation...?

In one of your answers you told us:
...Book View sucked. Maintaining it sucked, updating it sucked, and finding workarounds for everything that it broke sucked. Every new feature envisioned had to jump through convoluted hoops just to make sure Book View didn't blow it all up. That sucked. Everything about it sucked. So we chucked it...

When something sucks it is often not because the idea was wrong. Fixing it to the perfection is called the challenge, and if you love developing this program and it is your hobby, the challenge must be something you should welcome!

In new versions of Sigil there are some unneeded features often added which not many users need, on the other hand removing a feature which was there from beginning, important to many, many users, perhaps the majority, is quite shortsighted…
You should realize that.

Last edited by Bigo2; 02-12-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Bigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:10 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blah, blah, blah.
Now I'm responsible for the decline of civilization. Wheeeeee!

The only thing that was "short-sighted" about what we did was thinking that warning people for fricking YEARS that Book View was going away just might let them prepare for that eventuality. In retrospect, we should have just done it years ago. The fallout would have been the same, but the world would have moved on already, and these whingey drive-by posts would have stopped.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-13-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #41
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo2 View Post
People are used to work in WORD Print Layout mode, imagine that MS would decide to get rid of it: Dear users, the Print Layout mode sucks… we will no more support it, we will never bring it back. Since this new version you will have to use the Draft mode, if you want you can open the Print Preview Page…

DiapDealer, the Book View is similar and by removing it you’ve downgraded your excellent program. Do you realize that downgrading things does not advance the civilisation...?
Apples and oranges. Programs like Word are made for end users who don't want to bother with what's going on below the surface.

If you think you can produce viable ebooks with such an approach, shouldn't you rather get one of the commercial WYSIWYG programs that promise to produce super duper ebooks?

Sigil does what it's supposed to do, and brilliantly at that.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #42
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>Programs like Word are made for end users who don't want to bother with what's going on below the surface.

Absolutely. I don't understand the yen for Book View when Preview serves the same function (and does it better IMHO).

>Blah, blah, blah.

Trust Diap to elevate the quality of the discourse!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Trust Diap to elevate the quality of the discourse!
Please tread carefully Notjohn. Your presence around here wouldn't really be missed all that much.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Apples and oranges. Programs like Word are made for end users who don't want to bother with what's going on below the surface.

If you think you can produce viable ebooks with such an approach, shouldn't you rather get one of the commercial WYSIWYG programs that promise to produce super duper ebooks?

Sigil does what it's supposed to do, and brilliantly at that.
Those wiz-bang WYSIWYG eBook programs produce some really awful code.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well done for Sigil version 1.x with a proper preview instead of book view.