Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #31
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
The one reason why I prefer Sony readers is that you don't have to worry about your books might disappear on its own. With a Sony, your books belong to you. It also seemed that the new Kindle DXG firmware still have very limited PDF support.

I would buy your PRS505, but then again I am looking for a larger screen device with touch screen, dictionary support, annotation, and markup.
I agree, but I guarantee that none of the kindle books I buy will ever disappear Also I gave my PRS505 away to my wife. I asked her if she wanted it, and she said no, but then I said fine Ill sell it and she changed her mind.

Of course she cant have it until Aug. 27 or so. The thing is I read on so many different devices that it gets to be a pain to find my place in books. That is my impetus (plus the increased contrast). Does that make me lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
And that is the first time I've ever seen a Kindle, and wanted one. Finally compact enough to not look like the screen on a 1950's cabinet TV.
Heh me too, although my friends K2 is pretty sweet as well, esp. with his pategonia case
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #32
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
welllll I thought I had lost my K2 a couple of weeks ago and in a very kneejerk reaction ordered a replacement. I am still totally within my 30 day window. guess I'm getting a K3!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #33
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Im now in for one. Hope that wifi supports ad-hoc networks like my phone, or itll be going back
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I wonder if Amazon really sold out of the Kindles or just stopped selling them since any sold will be within the 30 day return period. I'm sure almost everyone would have exchanged it.

Also, I am curious to know if the new Kindle is at or near cost. New technology but same or lower price.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #35
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Hope that wifi supports ad-hoc networks like my phone, or itll be going back
From the order page:
Quote:
New, Built-In Wi-Fi
Kindle automatically detects nearby Wi-Fi networks at school, home, or your favorite café. At a hotel or café that requires a password? Simply enter the password and connect to the network. Once you have added a Wi-Fi network, Kindle will automatically connect to that network the next time you’re near the hotspot. Kindle does not currently connect to enterprise or peer-to-peer networks.
I assume peer-to-peer means ad-hoc networks. This isn't surprising, I think the same is true of the Nook and the BeBook Neo.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #36
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
From the order page: I assume peer-to-peer means ad-hoc networks. This isn't surprising, I think the same is true of the Nook and the BeBook Neo.
Hmm I read that as well, but didn't really pick up that meant ad-hoc, although you are right. It says it in the instruction manualThat would be a shame since everything else in the world can connect fine to my adhoc network except for my squeezebox radio.

It won't be too bad if it whispersyncs on wifi anytime it comes across a valid wifi access point, without having to be turned on.

Last edited by volwrath; 07-28-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #37
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I just placed my order for a new Graphite 3G K3!!!!!!
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #38
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Hmm I read that as well, but didn't really pick up that meant ad-hoc, although you are right. It says it in the instruction manualThat would be a shame since everything else in the world can connect fine to my adhoc network except for my squeezebox radio.

It won't be too bad if it whispersyncs on wifi anytime it comes across a valid wifi access point, without having to be turned on.
Ehh screw it I cancelled the order and bought a 3g version
Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #39
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
experience after playing with the new Kindle in person

Got a chance to play around with the new Kindle 3 in person. Here's the review - http://ireaderreview.com/2010/07/28/kindle-3-review/

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #40
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
Don't miss the new cover with a built-in light.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...Z165W/ref=_1_2
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #41
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'll be ordering a 3G shortly, just trying to decide what color cover to get for it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #42
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
I have a PRS-505 and use Calibre to download news sources in the morning.

Is this possible on the Kindle? How would it work with wifi only?
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #43
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
Don't miss the new cover with a built-in light.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...Z165W/ref=_1_2
Yikes! That's 43% the price of the device!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Nice news. I was thinking this would come soon.

I still think Amazon is missing some low hanging fruit...

1. Let me gift a Kindle book to someone. If they don't have a kindle they can use K4PC or K4MAC to read it.

2. Sync profiles. In other words, I want Whispernet to sync my Kindle with my K4Mac but not to my sons iPod or my wife's K4PC.

3. Personal document storage in their cloud. This would BLOW away the "no expandable memory" complainers. Yes, I would even pay for this.

I think their marketing is a bit off... they say WiFi ONLY or 3G... you kind of have to read the fine print to realize the 3G version also has WiFi.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
3. Personal document storage in their cloud. This would BLOW away the "no expandable memory" complainers. Yes, I would even pay for this.
I'd love this. Not that you can't do it yourself through various means, but this would be nice, especially if it included working with whispersync.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote