Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #46
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
When I was up in Idaho this spring, I got to read outside a lot in nice weather. But it doesn't happen much in Texas (though I did read out on the balcony when I was in Galveston -- before going to Idaho).
I live in the Midwest...when it’s nice outside, there is shade. I don’t sun bathe or just sit out in bright sunlight. Well, Imdid when my kids played soccer. But I read on my phone when my kids weren’t playing even then

No doubt eInk would look nicer in that situation. It’s just such a small amount of my reading time. Far more is in my home, in low to no light
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:20 AM   #47
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Older models lacked built-in lighting. That was a major deal breaker for me so prior to getting a tablet, I'd more often read on a 3.5" retina iPhone than on the Sony PRS-350.

They're also easier to use for browsing libraries and downloading certain content to (e.g. library books, Hoopla Digital borrows, fanfics, etc).
No problem downloading library books directly to my Kobo these days!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #48
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
No problem downloading library books directly to my Kobo these days!
I thought only the Aura ONE had built-in OverDrive support?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I thought only the Aura ONE had built-in OverDrive support?
They've given it to all the current models ... Clara, Aura (Ed 2) and the new H2O (Ed 2?).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They've given it to all the current models ... Clara, Aura (Ed 2) and the new H2O (Ed 2?).
That's good. Alas, mine is a Glo HD and to be honest, I rarely use it as I find the PW3's tapered, curved edges more comfy in hand.
Advert
Old 09-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
That's good. Alas, mine is a Glo HD and to be honest, I rarely use it as I find the PW3's tapered, curved edges more comfy in hand.
My brother got a Kobo Touch 2.0 (which I understand is the same size and shape as the Glo HD). I'm not convinced that smaller bezels are always better, though he has the Kobo Sleep Cover for it, which helps.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #52
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
My brother got a Kobo Touch 2.0 (which I understand is the same size and shape as the Glo HD). I'm not convinced that smaller bezels are always better, though he has the Kobo Sleep Cover for it, which helps.
Personally I actually dislike bezels that are too small, because it becomes very hard to hold the device with one hand.

My phone has that problem. It basically balances in my hand (it's small enough to do so), and the KA1 has that problem to some extent as well. That device is too big for balancing, so if your thumb leaves the very small bezel (which it has to, to turn a page), there's always the risk of the device slipping and falling.

I don't like holding a device with my hand wrapped around the back, because anything bigger than a 5 inch phone with small bezels is too big already. I've got small hands for someone of my size and length.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
The PW3 actually has bigger bezels than the Glo HD. What I meant by tapered edges is that the PW3's back curves thinner towards the edges kinda like what you see on some smartphones (e.g. Moto G). Meanwhile, the Glo HD is more boxy.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The PW3 actually has bigger bezels than the Glo HD. What I meant by tapered edges is that the PW3's back curves thinner towards the edges kinda like what you see on some smartphones (e.g. Moto G). Meanwhile, the Glo HD is more boxy.
Looking at my Glo HD, I would describe the back side edges as slightly tapered. Looking at pictures of a PW3, I would describe the back edges as rounded.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
the dedicated eReader hardware manufacturers into offering larger screen devices? (even the 'cheaper' ones?).

It used to be a terrible PIA to read on a smartphone. Not so much any more! Those 5 and 6 inch screens offer a fairly comfortable read for a non eInk device.

Does anyone see a 7 inch Paperwhite happening any time soon? I think that would interest me quite a bit.
I've had a 5" ereader and I have a 5.5" phone. The ereader is larger than the phone. Size alone doesn't say anything. Not even if you take bezels into account. Aspect ratio is also very important. That 5" ereader was 4:3, my phone is 16:9. And the current (in my eyes horrible) craze is not so much making phones larger, but rather make them longer. 18:9 is mostly standard by now, and the first 19:9 phones are out there also. I prefer either 4:3 or 16:10... (shorter, but wider, instead of longer but narrower).

Line length is getting too short on those narrow devices...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've had a 5" ereader and I have a 5.5" phone. The ereader is larger than the phone. Size alone doesn't say anything. Not even if you take bezels into account. Aspect ratio is also very important. That 5" ereader was 4:3, my phone is 16:9. And the current (in my eyes horrible) craze is not so much making phones larger, but rather make them longer. 18:9 is mostly standard by now, and the first 19:9 phones are out there also. I prefer either 4:3 or 16:10... (shorter, but wider, instead of longer but narrower).

Yes, exactly. Personally I don't want my phone to be over 5'', because a larger phone would be too uncomfortable to use on the go. I wouldn't read on my phone anyway, I don't even watch movies or TV on my phone (except in a pinch), so a 6'' phone is IMHO a pretty pointless device. Of course other people have different opinions on the matter and obviously there is a market for huge smartphones. They're just not for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #57
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

I would guess this is done because there's a limit to how wide a phone can be and still be held comfortably as a phone (at least for those of us with small hands).
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #58
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I would guess this is done because there's a limit to how wide a phone can be and still be held comfortably as a phone (at least for those of us with small hands).
I don't understand the idea behind that reasoning. Yes, the screen is larger, but line width is shorter. I often already rotate my phone because I find the screen too narrow to read comfortably. And I have a 16:9 phone!

But I ordered a new phone (6", also 16:9), so, I'll have to see how it holds in my hand (not that I often hold my phone in my hand, I'm one of the few that doesn't always have her phone with her...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #59
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I don't understand the idea behind that reasoning. Yes, the screen is larger, but line width is shorter. I often already rotate my phone because I find the screen too narrow to read comfortably. And I have a 16:9 phone!

But I ordered a new phone (6", also 16:9), so, I'll have to see how it holds in my hand (not that I often hold my phone in my hand, I'm one of the few that doesn't always have her phone with her...)
My personal suspicion (And I am a pretty suspicious guy!) is that it is more about fitting into a pocket than it is fitting the hand.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #60
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I don't understand the idea behind that reasoning.
As screens get longer, the screen surface gets smaller when having the same diagonal. Compare:

width = 3 inch (900px, for example)
height = 4 inch (1200px, for example)
diagonal = 5 inch (1500px)
Total pixels: 1.080.000

Now imagine how huge the diameter of a screen would be, if it was one pixel wide, and 1.080.000 pixels tall. Keeping it at 5 inch when being one pixel wide, would lose a lot of surface area.

Thus, taller/wider screens are cheaper to make, because they contain less pixels as compared to 4:3 or 5:4 screens. (1:1 screens would have the most surface at a given diagonal.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote