Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #151
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm afraid that many people who happily download unauthorized copies of books, or who put them out for others, don't understand just how hard writers work to create a book, and how little they are paid in return.

Even if you have the day job and only write in your spare time, you are still working. I enjoy writing to an extent, but I enjoy reading, watching TV, playing with the dogs and just farting around much, much more. If I'm going to spend my time writing, which I hope brings entertainment to others, I appreciate it when people actually toss a bit of change my way.

Make enough sales and you can treat yourself to a dinner out with the wife at a place that doesn't post its menu on a big board over a counter, or maybe just fund your own reading habit!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #152
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:36 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #153
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Anyway... what bloggers get paid doesn't really have any affect on what fiction writers get paid. You may as well point at bankers or movie stars.
Well, my point is they are both writers. If a writer wants to get paid to write... it is a possible avenue. I'm familiar with a blogger that quit his day job and he only writes one blog post a week. I doubt he spends more than a day on each topic.

So, if your a writer and you want to get paid to write... start a blog... make it interesting and targeted. Once you've got a revenue stream from that... will you can work on a book. You will also have a built in audience to market it to.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #154
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, my point is they are both writers. If a writer wants to get paid to write... it is a possible avenue. I'm familiar with a blogger that quit his day job and he only writes one blog post a week. I doubt he spends more than a day on each topic.

So, if your a writer and you want to get paid to write... start a blog... make it interesting and targeted. Once you've got a revenue stream from that... will you can work on a book. You will also have a built in audience to market it to.

BOb
Lessee, I started my blog about 3 years ago, because I'd read how you can make money from Google ads on your blog. To date, I've earned something over a hundred dollars. In 3 years. And that's mostly coming from ads on my website, not my blog.

I think this model works only if you happen to know a lot about one particular subject that a lot of other people are interested in. I write about a lot of different things, but much of it is book related. The ads I see on my blog tend to be for self-publishing, more than anything else. This does not bring in a great deal of money, I'm afraid.

I'm sure there are ways I could have targeted it better, and maybe plastered the ads all across the top my blog rather than discreetly along the sides. But mostly, I think it's just like all the other get-rich schemes. They maybe work for a few people. But for most? Uh-uh.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #155
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I think this model works only if you happen to know a lot about one particular subject that a lot of other people are interested in.
I agree. That's the way to go.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert